1. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 21:56
    Can grandmasters use grandmaster as a title instead or Mr. or Sir or whatever. For example does Garry Kasparov get his bills etc. as Grandmaster Kasparov Or GM. Kasparov

If so then I might set myself a little challenge to get a more interesting name...
  2. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 22:01
    Of course not.
  3. Standard memberWibble Wobble
    Action barbie
    Ka-koogy
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 22:18
    Originally posted by Chesswick
    Of course not.
    Doctors do and they seem to think they are importanter than others. SIlly docs

SO why SHOULDNT gm's?
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 22:33
    Originally posted by Wibble Wobble

SO why SHOULDNT gm's?
    Don't expect an answer. With that username, no one is going to take you seriously.
  5. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 23:11
    C'mon, that's a nice name. 😛
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 00:46

SO why SHOULDNT gm's?
    You can do whatever you want, but don't expect people to go along with it. It's not even a matter of should or shouldn't, it is just a matter of how society will receive you based on such actions.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 00:56
    Watch yer lip mush.
    We docs are importanter if you are iller.
    Silly patients.
  8. Joined
    06 Sep '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 02:43
    i do think the use of title along the name has its own purposes, like for doctors, so they can be recognized as such when circumstances arise that you need one, in ordinary and extraordinary circumstances. besides, their profession holds a great deal of importance, that of the health of people which we deal with everyday. but of course there is this status quo stuff that goes along using that title.

so using GM is not exactly inappropriate in chess communities, but for an ordinary event or circumstance, it would be inappropriate.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 03:161 edit
    Originally posted by darwint
    i do think the use of title along the name has its own purposes, like for doctors, so they can be recognized as such when circumstances arise that you need one, in ordinary and extraordinary circumstances. besides, their profession holds a great deal of importance, that of the health of people which we deal with everyday. but of course there is this status q ...[text shortened]... iate in chess communities, but for an ordinary event or circumstance, it would be inappropriate.
    Most doctors are not medical doctors. Doctorates are handed out by universities which are more or less independent institutions, the same is the case for Grandmasters and FIDE, the titles are the way the professional players get sponsorship and so on. You are more likely to buy a chess book written by a grandmaster than an international master, and probably quite unlikely to buy one written by an untitled player. Essentially as long as people believe FIDE they can hand out the title and people can use it, most professions have similar things. There's no particular reason not to use the title outside chess gatherings.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 03:37
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Most doctors are not medical doctors. Doctorates are handed out by universities which are more or less independent institutions, the same is the case for Grandmasters and FIDE, the titles are the way the professional players get sponsorship and so on. You are more likely to buy a chess book written by a grandmaster than an international master, and pro ...[text shortened]... ve similar things. There's no particular reason not to use the title outside chess gatherings.
    Most medical doctors have less education than doctors in philosophy, but somehow Dr. in front of a physician's name seems more credible.

Some of my mail comes addressed to Dr. _____; were I a GM, it would be a more impressive achievement than surviving twelve years of college. I would expect that at least one GM somewhere in the world has the title on his or her mail box or personal stationary, and deservedly so (even though FIDE is corrupt).

Still, it is interesting that GMs that are doctors are known as such: Dr Robert Huebner, for example.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 03:46
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Most medical doctors have less education than doctors in philosophy, but somehow Dr. in front of a physician's name seems more credible.

Some of my mail comes addressed to Dr. _____; were I a GM, it would be a more impressive achievement than surviving twelve years of college. I would expect that at least one GM somewhere in the world has the title on his ...[text shortened]... it is interesting that GMs that are doctors are known as such: Dr Robert Huebner, for example.
    Twelve years in college? Is it not more like four years of graduate school pluss four years of medical school pluss four years as a intern?
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 03:50
    Sr.Ch.Dog. John CPA. Lt.Col. John. Why not GM John?
  13. Joined
    24 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 15:40
    What about Grandmaster Flash?
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 16:05
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Twelve years in college? Is it not more like four years of graduate school pluss four years of medical school pluss four years as a intern?
    The first four are undergraduate. Medical school is graduate school (you must have an undergraduate degree to get in). Interns are doctors.

A friend who is an anaesthesiologist had four years of schooling beyond medical school. He's one physician that has as much college as I do. Of course, he is well compensated for his labor.
  15. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 21:012 edits
    Originally posted by Will Everitt
    Can grandmasters use grandmaster as a title instead or Mr. or Sir or whatever. For example does Garry Kasparov get his bills etc. as Grandmaster Kasparov Or GM. Kasparov

If so then I might set myself a little challenge to get a more interesting name...
    This is the silliest thread I believe I have ever witnessed in the history of the internet. For one, grandmasters are not out to save lives like doctors! If anything, they're out to take lives by stressing the other player out. They get pleasure out of destroying another's intellect one moment at a time. If they didn't, they wouldn't be playing chess. Every chess nut has this fascination of bamboozling the other player whether it's through an aesthetically beautiful combination or just plain ol'e hack and slash. I would think it amazingly silly for a grandmaster to place GM before his name on his mail box! After all, the game of chess is art, science and then maybe a game. But, you didn't hear of Monet putting an artistic title in front of his name. You also didn't see Hugh Hefner calling himself Billionaire Hugh Hefner. And, you didn't see Picasso putting Great Artist Picasso on his mail box. Doctors have that title in front of their name because it signifies they truly have the experience to save lives. Mister is only a cordial title that can be traced as far back or farther than the medieval ages. These are titles that are helpful and most needed, whether it be for identification or respect. Yes, in the chess world, Kasparov is referred to as GM Garry Kasparov. But, in the real world, he's only a chess player. I once tested the point. I have asked some random people if they knew who was in the picture I was holding. It was of Bobby Fischer. Ironically, many non-chessplayers know the name Bobby Fischer to be associated with chess. But, when you show them a picture, they don't even know the young face of Fischer. Only when he was on the news as an old man do they recognize the old countenance. And, also, only the baby boomers seem to clearly identify Fischer of the 1960s. My mother is 59 and she remembers when he played Spassky. But, let's get real. Most people think chess is boring except for people like us. LOL

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree