1. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 12:54
    This is me playing as black losing a very open and aggressive game. I'll happily accept a lot of criticism (especially as I didn't move a bishop or rook till move 30) and advice and possible alternative lines.

I've added annotations so you can an idea of what I was thinking and whether or not I was right to think it.

2. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 13:39
    can not add anything to what you said - the first queen move was inviting trouble of being chased around and your bishops and rooks were standing in the last row for too long.

have you thought about 18. Nxf2? If .. Kxf2 then 19. d3+ and 20. dxc2 but i guess this line is not sound...
  3. e4
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 13:431 edit
    Hi

I don't want to analyse anything, you seemed to have nailed the
    critical stuff. I just want to applaud the style and the attitude.

"... I did look long and hard at playing f6 and sack the other rook."

You will win more than you lose, especially OTB and enjoy it.

Good game.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 14:14
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    can not add anything to what you said - the first queen move was inviting trouble of being chased around and your bishops and rooks were standing in the last row for too long.

have you thought about 18. Nxf2? If .. Kxf2 then 19. d3+ and 20. dxc2 but i guess this line is not sound...
    I looked at Nxf2, and it looked quite interesting until I saw 19. Qe2 Nxh1 20. Nxf7+ Kd7 (forced). Now, I don't really have any attack left and felt my game would peter out.
  5. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 14:51
    true, it looks like the attack falls asleep, and this game really lives from the constant heat.

and 18. a2? also not good enough? if the rook moves, the queen check can pick up the b2 pawn and make more trouble down there...
  6. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 18:07
    Agreeing with tharkesh....

You were in a bad way after the queen went to c5, but he let you back in the game when he missed 18. Rxa3 -- when he played Rb1 instead, pushing the pawn to a2 was your key move.

regards,
  7. Joined
    18 Mar '11
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 01:48
    I think you are doing well in this game, and are not completely lost even after you missed the nice ...a2 move winning quickly. But there's more - as the game progresses,
    look at 21...Qe7+ which seems to win material or mate in a fashion similar to the one in
    which you chose BUT, his N won't be able to recapture the p AND when/if you capture the N you threaten mate on e2.
    Even at 30...Bf8e7 (you said you rejected because of Nb6) I think after Nb6 you ...Bf5
    and you've got some pressure - yet that could backfire with Qa8+ and chasing you around a little... yet you have many 'objective' plusses here. Early on his N and QR are out of play plus that advanced b-pawn may actually be helping YOU here๐Ÿ™‚ In the end you can activate those two bishops and try to q that pawn.
  8. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 04:47
    Not exactly.... 21. .... Qe7 dies a swift death after 22. Ne5+ Kd8 23. 0-0 etc.

The line with Be7 and Bf5 goes nowhere after 32. Qa8+ Bc8 33. Nxc8 Qxc8 34. Qd5+ and the exposed state of Black's king, combined with the activity of White's pieces, means that the pawn will never queen; White can always drive Black from pillar to post and eventually either set up a double attack or pick up a tempo to thwap the pesky pawn off the board, and Black's hopes with it.
  9. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 04:56
    Oooops, I forgot to also point out that the pawn nudge to a2 does not win quickly; it DOES turn the game around and give Black a small advantage, but it's still a tough fight, not a quick win.
  10. bedlam
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 12:05
    Finally got this pgn thing working!

The other side of the coin.
    The top secret file of my recorded in-game thoughts (thus without hindsight),hopes and fears.And a small part of the variations I analysed.
    You get a rare insight into my brain.Read at own risk.

11. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 12:40
    thanks you two! this is nice to see both sides' thoughts!
  12. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 13:08
    Perhaps 19...Qc3+ alone or with pushing the a pawn would yield positive results
  13. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 20:04
    The move 19. ... Qc3+ looks like a good try, but ultimately goes nowhere. One possible line even ends up with the queen trapped: 20. Ke2 Ke8 21. Nb6 Be6 22. Nec4 ....

And just so everyone is on the same page, the way for White to follow up 18. Rxa3 Qb4+ is with 19. Ke2 Qxb2 20. Rb3 and once again Black is struggling.

What we have here, folks, is a classic example of a premature and undeveloped attack, gaining some momentum via a sacrifice, but coming up short against best defense. That is NOT to say that this is not a fun, interesting, and exciting game -- it is every bit of that! And it is also a dang good try, especially if Black is the sort of fellow who likes to go for the gusto and have some fun along the way.

๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree