1. Lagos
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 20:435 edits
    I recently finished a game with a much highly rated player. Due to my irrational and baseless petrification for a back rank mate (plus the fact that even if I drew, I would still get rating points) I offered a draw since I saw I had a possible perpetual if black didn't want to lose a rook.
    However, I could have cleanly forced the win at move 23 (the move I played still wins but the move I want you to find wins quickly and without a doubt). You'll have to back it up with adequate analysis ofcourse. I would have posted just the position in question, but I don't know how.

Here is the game. I played as white. Any further comments are welcome.

Game 7866637

The pgn doesn't seem to work.

Edit: Move 23 not 22
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 20:47
    get the pgn sorted my friend so we can have a look!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 20:51
    Originally posted by Goshen
    I recently finished a game with a much highly rated player. Due to my irrational and baseless petrification for a back rank mate (plus the fact that even if I drew, I would still get rating points) I offered a draw since I saw I had a possible perpetual if black didn't want to lose a rook.
    However, I could have cleanly forced the win at move 22 (the move I p ...[text shortened]... . Any further comments are welcome.

Game 7866637

The pgn doesn't seem to work.
  4. Lagos
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 20:58
    Thanks Robbie! Actually it's move 23 not 22. Can you see it? Plus analysis please. Also the final position of the actual game. Can you point out white's win?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 21:171 edit
    Thanks Robbie! Actually it's move 23 not 22. Can you see it? Plus analysis please. Also the final position of the actual game. Can you point out white's win?
    Lol, yes but i got it for different reasons, for example it is obvious that black is essentially playing a rook down, although its on the board, therefore the f pawn cannot be held, my idea was doubling rooks on the f file and bringing the queen to the same file. I have checked it with an engine and its nearly correct, but not quite, the real move is the beautiful

Reveal Hidden Content
    Rf6!! ... Rf8 e6!
  6. Lagos
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 21:23
    Yes Robbie! We see this all the time in master games. Doubling or even tripling on a file. I should have thought of it. I was a pawn down and all I could think of was getting it back.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 21:385 edits
    Yes Robbie! We see this all the time in master games. Doubling or even tripling on a file. I should have thought of it. I was a pawn down and all I could think of was getting it back.
    You should not be too hard on yourself Goshen , you played very bravely indeed! I
    myself at move nineteen would have been inclined to bring my rooks to the h file, but
    after initially being puzzled by your move 19.Rf3 it seemed impossible to me that you
    could open the f file for there were three black pieces trained on the f5 square, two
    pawns and the queens bishop

position after 19...Qd8

20.f5! was in my opinion a very brave and brilliant move, for at once blacks King is
    feeling a little uneasy. Its really easy to overlook these moves i think. Well played!
    If there is just one thing i could point out, when playing against the Sicilian
    it can be a positional mistake to take the queens knight on c6 with your knight , for
    it means that black gets a huge pawn centre, in this instance your opponent never went for it but
    recaptured with his queen instead, but just something to keep in mind 🙂
  8. Lagos
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 22:094 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it can be a positional mistake to take the queens knight on c6 with your knight , for
    it means that black gets a huge pawn centre, in this instance your opponent never went for it but
    recaptured with his queen instead, but just something to keep in mind 🙂
    But in my game do you think it was a mistake? Black had a chronic lack of development so I didn't mind trading. Plus after bxc3 his bishop is hemmed in. Also, my knight was attacked twice. Didn't really know where to put it and still retain some semblence of control over the position.

Also in the position above, I reckon I made my weakest move, 14.f4 very impatient to open up the f file as soon as possible. I don't know why I always feel that if my position is better I am obligated to win in the next 10 moves! Which move would you suggest?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 22:455 edits
    well it seems to me that black gets rid of his backward and very vulnerable d6 pawn
    weakness after Nxc6 ...dxc6, but then again tactics are present for the h4 d8 diagonal
    is super weak for black, indeed, i think it was a positional mistake for him to exchange
    his dark dark bishop, so he won a pawn, my goodness look at the trouble he had with
    his rubbish queens bishop after that, pawns all on white squares, the super weak h4-d8
    diagonal but yes indeed, you may have been justified in exchanging on c6 because
    of lack of development, why black took back with the queen i dont know, maybe he
    was scared you were gonna play Qh4-d8

in the position that you cite, c4 looks like a great move, gaining time on the knight
    and trying for c5 in which you get a terrific bind against all of blacks weak pawns, if
    black tries to play Nxe3 you get instant access to the f file, his pawns are
    backwards, his bishop is restricted and he is going nowhere.

14.c4 Nxe3, 15.fxe3 Qc5 16.Qh4 (threatening mate) ...Qe7
    17.Rxf7!! Kxf7 18.Bg6+ hxg6 19.Rf1+ Kg8, ending up with this position

White to play and Happy days!
  10. e4
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 01:53
    Hi Goshen.

I stopped here.

You played 12.Rae1.
    OK it's a move but it's too cosy and cute for me.
    And anyway I might want that Rook on b1.

This lad has Nicked a pawn in the opening, stuck his Queen in my half
    of the board, he is undeveloped and will be playing without that h8 Rook
    for quite a while.

So 12.Bc4

Threat BxN and Nf5.

Of course there are more pawns for him so I would look at him snaffing them.

11. Lagos
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 06:021 edit
    Nice one Mr. Chandler! White is fully developed while black has just one piece out. A dream position. Thanks.

I guess I was blindly following the principle, don't move the same piece twice in the opening. But then, all was left was the a1 rook and besides the move Bc4 has its tactical justification. Good one. I've learnt something. I think a good thinking process might be to check all checks and find ways to exploit them. In this case, the check being Nxe6+. So any piece placed in line with the queen is actually protected.
  12. e4
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 13:31
    Don't kick yourself. Rae1 feels right as well.
    I'd never argue against a developing move unless there is a 100% combo on.

If your opponent has violated an opening principle or two then often the only
    way to punish them is to do a bit of counter-violating yourself.
    (Chess is a wonderful game - two wrongs can make a right).

My line looks like a plausible OTB try as the pawn goes with check.
    But it has the scent of a typical ME trap. Offering players pawns with
    a check knowing the open lines will (eventually) favour you is trappy chess.

Here my wee traps (there are three there) does not appear to have a
    down side as I am threatening Bxd5 and Nf5. (Trap B)

Trap (A) is of course is the Queen winning trick.

(Trap C) is the variation I gave.
    He sees he can refute the Queen winning idea by snagging a pawn with a check.
    GOTCHA!
  13. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 18:43
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Goshen.

I stopped here.

[fen]rnb2k1r/1p1p1ppp/p3p3/3nP3/3N2Q1/2qBB3/P1P2PPP/R4RK1 w - - 0 12[/fen]

You played 12.Rae1.
    OK it's a move but it's too cosy and cute for me.
    And anyway I might want that Rook on b1.

This lad has Nicked a pawn in the opening, stuck his Queen in my half
    of the board, he is undeveloped and will be playing witho ...[text shortened]... ash through. You can find all the smashes yourself. Qc5 then Bxe6 or Qd6 then Nf5.} [/pgn]
    so after
    12. Bc4 Ne3
    13. fe Qe3+
    14.Kg1 h5! is it so clear?
  14. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 18:45
    only play traps when there is nothing better!
  15. Lagos
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by queenabber
    so after
    12. Bc4 Ne3
    13. fe Qe3+
    14.Kg1 h5! is it so clear?
    14...h5??????? Is an incredible howler. White plays 15.Qg6 and we might as well start preparing the black king's obituary.

Opening of the f file is exactly what white craves for!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree