1. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 11:02
    From Paul Hoffman's book, "King's Gambit: a Son, a Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game", which I'm reading with pleasure:

"Chess is said to be a safe way to sublimate aggressive impulses. But is it harmless just because the aggression isn't physical? The idea of "healthy competition' may be a myth when it comes to chess. Can you really play a friend, go for each other's jugular, and be buddies afterward?"
  2. Fågelsången
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 11:05
    Yes!
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 11:13
    Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
    "Chess is said to be a safe way to sublimate aggressive impulses."
    It didn't use to sublimate my brother's aggressive impulses. He hit me when I beat him 🙂
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 14:14
    It is rare for people to really hate each other after a long game. There are plenty of times I have got mad when I have been swindled out of a winning position in blitz games, but I just vow to get my revenge next time I play that person (and, more often then not, I suceed). It is rarer for a game to end in some sort of controversial manner in over the board, or correspondance play because there is just too much time to make the moves and the games usually finish well before any sort of pressure is applied by the time limit.
  5. At the Revolution
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 01:57
    Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
    From Paul Hoffman's book, "King's Gambit: a Son, a Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game", which I'm reading with pleasure:

"Chess is said to be a safe way to sublimate aggressive impulses. But is it harmless just because the aggression isn't physical? The idea of "healthy competition' may be a myth when it comes to chess. Can you really play a friend, go for each other's jugular, and be buddies afterward?"
    I do it all the time. 😉
  6. Joined
    21 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 02:14
    I thought chess was "mutual mental masturbation"?
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 02:45
    Originally posted by Papyn Chase
    I thought chess was "mutual mental masturbation"?
    But only one of you "finishes"
  8. Joined
    30 Nov '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 07:45
    I will try.,
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 08:10
    Becuase of playing chess against my boss He and I have grown to be very close friends. At least chess was a huge part of it. There were those games were I won that I was thinking will I still have a job after this! 🙂 lol
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 08:24
    I think so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree