1. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 21:30
    Rd. 9 Anand beat Aronian, and Karjakin was lucky, IMNSHO, to draw Naka. So Anand and Karjakin at 5.5 are on top, but only half point ahead of Caruana and Aronian.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 09:11
    Originally posted by sundown316
    Rd. 9 Anand beat Aronian, and Karjakin was lucky, IMNSHO, to draw Naka. So Anand and Karjakin at 5.5 are on top, but only half point ahead of Caruana and Aronian.
    yes I really thought that Aronian was going to be able to hold, but alas, he caved in. Karjakin defense was awesome. Giri managed to turn a significant advantage into a draw which happens. I just don't think that Anand is challenging enough for Magnus, Caruana, Karjakin and maybe even Giri would put up a much better fight I think.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 11:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes I really thought that Aronian was going to be able to hold, but alas, he caved in. Karjakin defense was awesome. Giri managed to turn a significant advantage into a draw which happens. I just don't think that Anand is challenging enough for Magnus, Caruana, Karjakin and maybe even Giri would put up a much better fight I think.
    I think there is an important thing to remember about Vishy, of all the candidates, he is the one who can genuinely beat all of the others. Ok his record against Nakamura isn't great, but it never comes as a surprise to see him beat one of these guys. I have this horrible feeling he might do it again. Vishy is warmed up now and will have taken confidence from his performance so far. When he's feeling good he's hard to bet against.
  4. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 17:44
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I think there is an important thing to remember about Vishy, of all the candidates, he is the one who can genuinely beat all of the others. Ok his record against Nakamura isn't great, but it never comes as a surprise to see him beat one of these guys. I have this horrible feeling he might do it again. Vishy is warmed up now and will have taken confidence from his performance so far. When he's feeling good he's hard to bet against.
    He's the only one that doesn't seem to get rattled by the pressure of the high stakes. My money is on him winning again.
  5. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 23:36
    Caruana-Anand next round is the perhaps the biggest game of the tournament. If Caruana can win with white I think he would have the hypothetical tiebreaker over Karjakin. (not 100% sure)
  6. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 15:35
    Caruana 1-0 vs. Anand!
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 16:391 edit
    Originally posted by byedidia
    Caruana 1-0 vs. Anand!
    Ooooohhhh, that is going to be a vital point for Caruana! Caruana plays Karjakin with white in the last round. If he only needs a draw at that stage then he will be odds on favourite. He is yet to play Topalov, Aronian and Svidler, two of which are stuggling and the other (Aronian) needing a win to stay in contention will have to take some risks. Caruana's chances look rather excellent if you ask me. I think a WC match with Carlsen would be epic! Caruana is one of the few players who can compete with Carlsen, we might finally see the World champion under some pressure. 🙂
  8. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 16:59
    Can someone explain to me why Anand resigned? Yes, he's down the exchange, but I don't see any clear win for Caruana.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 16:59
    Ooooohhhh, that is going to be a vital point for Caruana! Caruana plays Karjakin with white in the last round. If he only needs a draw at that stage then he will be odds on favourite. He is yet to play Topalov, Aronian and Svidler, two of which are stuggling and the other (Aronian) needing a win to stay in contention will have to take some risks. Caruana ...[text shortened]... rs who can compete with Carlsen, we might finally see the World champion under some pressure. 🙂
    yup he saved us. Plus he plays anti berlin defence with white! I want Caruana to win! Please let it be him!
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yup he saved us. Plus he plays anti berlin defence with white! I want Caruana to win! Please let it be him!
    I think Carlsen would think twice about playing the Berlin as white against caruana. I seem to remember Fabiano beating him in a nice game from the black side.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 18:45
    Anand again!
  12. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 22:45
    Anand again!
    Massive win against Karjakin, in typical fashion, creating a slight edge then just slow improvement.

Also noticed that Caruana had a decent position vs Toppleoff, but couldn't find a win.

Giri draw 😠

Svidler finally wins a game 🙂 ..... but Aronian lost 🙁

Still quite a close race, who knows what'll happen next!

hey, maybe Giri will win a game 😵
  13. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 04:19
    Great win by Vishy.... it seemed like the threat of a skewer was used about 8 times to discoordinate the enemy king.

All in all that win probably was a good thing for Caruana, because he is still tied for first but the guy he plays in the final round is now down by 1 and must play for a win as black... increasing the odds of a Caruana final round win. (if needed)
  14. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 14:22
    What about Carlsen-Anand III?

It seems possible.
  15. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 14:43
    Anand's chances just took a big hit today in Rd. 12, he was squashed by Naka in just 26 moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree