1. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    03 May '10 09:50
    Originally posted by Vaakum
    I have always known that according to the chess rules the castling is impossible when the king or rooke is under the fire. But look at this?!
    Game 7400405 and move 21.
    Are the rules changed?
    Hi Vaakum
    In my experience only a very small minority of chess players know all the Laws of Chess correctly. You can look up the current Laws on the F.I.D.E website;
    http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article
    Move 21 in your game was legal, its only the King that can't move out of, through or into check. If you had not moved your Bishop on move 20 your opponent would not have been able to castle on the next move.
    If you do try to make an illegal move the squares go pink and the move is blocked by the site.
    Good luck with the game.
  2. e4
    Moves
    03 May '10 10:402 edits
    This castling with an attacked Rook pops up frequently here and on
    other sites.

It was alll covered rather well in Thread 119181.

There is a link:

http://chessvault.com/tags/players/korchnoi/

To a wonderful Korchnoi interview well worth reading in full.
    He is asked about...

The Castling Question

While he was autographing away, I asked him [Korchnoi] about that 18th move
    in the 21st game of the 1974 Candidates final against Karpov.

The story goes that before making the 18th move, Korchnoi asked the match
    referee whether he could castle in the current position.

Korchnoi is white and to play.

His rook was being attacked by Karpov’s bishop - could it then participate in a
    castling manoeuvre.

I wanted to establish for certain whether this actually happened or was it just
    urban legend.

Korchnoi confirmed he did ask the question at that point, explaining that the
    Russian chess rules left the situation a little ambiguous, and it was the first time
    the situation had occurred in his games.

Considering the levels of tension surrounding the match and this game in
    particular, Korchnoi thought it best to confirm with the match referee before
    making the move.
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    03 May '10 12:211 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    There is a link:

http://chessvault.com/tags/players/korchnoi/
    Thanks for a great tip GP.

As we've discussed before here on RHP ... t he interesting thing is not so much why did Korchnoi not know the rule by why did he consult the arbiter *here*. After all he's pretty much committed now. If he wasn't sure, why not check at the start of the combination? He must have seen in advance that this position would arise. Why head for it if he didn't know for sure whether he could castle?
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 May '10 15:30
    Thank you guys for a lightening!
    I have played chess for a quite long time and I always thought that I know the castling rules. I was taught this way at school.
    But....... . I was wrong .
    No I know.

Best Regards
    Vaakum

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree