1. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 19:05
    I just received the latest newsletter from wholesalechess.com and they have a brass set and board for $50 (http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/Deluxe+Brass+Chess+Set+%26+Cabinet+Chessboard+-+Overstock).

Any thoughts on if that is worthwhile or not? I have been wanting a nice board/set combo for awhile but 17x17 seems kind of small. On the plus side, being brass and 16lbs total I can't imagine weight being a problem and I do like the design of the pieces. It's the colour of the brass that I am not sure of.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 19:15
    What is your purpuse of the chess set?
    To play with or just to admire, the artwork?

I think a design artwork is not playable as just wooden pieces are, used by any chess club.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 19:28
    Originally posted by zebano
    I just received the latest newsletter from wholesalechess.com and they have a brass set and board for $50 (http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/Deluxe+Brass+Chess+Set+%26+Cabinet+Chessboard+-+Overstock).

Any thoughts on if that is worthwhile or not? I have been wanting a nice board/set combo for awhile but 17x17 seems kind of small. On the plus side, being ...[text shortened]... em and I do like the design of the pieces. It's the colour of the brass that I am not sure of.
    Very nice set!Both to look at and to play on.The size is good too.I prefer a tad bit bigger,like 20 inches,but 17 will do fine.
    You did notice they mention the board can be sligthly damaged and the pieces may contain imperfections and there's no return/refund,right?
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 19:54
    Originally posted by zebano

Any thoughts on if that is worthwhile or not? I have been wanting a nice board/set combo for awhile but 17x17 seems kind of small. On the plus side, being ...[text shortened]... em and I do like the design of the pieces. It's the colour of the brass that I am not sure of.
    You need a good quality wooden board at least 20" X 20" with double, preferably treble, weighted pieces to enjoy your chess.

This set will be tedious to play on after a while.

My board and pieces cost £350 (US$550) and it was worth every penny. I feel so good everytime I use it that I play better.
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:00
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    You need a good quality wooden board at least 20" X 20" with double, preferably treble, weighted pieces to enjoy your chess.

My board and pieces cost £350 (US$550) and it was worth every penny. I feel so good everytime I use it that I play better.
    550$ for a chess set!?!? 😲
    Are you mad or did you buy a giant chess set to play in your garden?
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:14
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire

I have a standard plastic staunton triple weighted set for tournaments. This would not leave the home and perhaps only be used for some casual games with friends.
  7. Under Cover
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:171 edit
    I also have a nice set that my wife bought for me as a Christmas gift a couple years ago. The Reyjkavik II series in Rosewood with a large Dreuke board. All together was over $300.00 USD when she got it. I am very happy with it, but I suspect you could also be very happy with any all wood club set that could be bought for under $35.00 USD and a decent wood board for probably under $50.00 USD. Recommended places to shop would be wholesalechess (of course) or cajunchess. You might find a decent deal at the USChess online shop also, but it has been my experience that you'll do better with one of the other two sites.

EDIT- Just did a little shopping on wholesalechess. Click on the wooden sets button, then sort them by price, low to high. You will find a wood board for about $45 and a few sets ranging from $35-$45. Under $100 and you have yourself a nice set that you will enjoy for years. Best of luck in your shopping.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:27
    THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL SET....16 POUNDS!! ( even including the board, those are some heavy pieces)
    I'd get it. The super staunton plastic is a great set too, quadruple + 5 lbs weighted pieces, and you can get it with carrying case, roll up board, etc., for the same price. It would be a better tournament set.
    But the brass set and wooden board look awful tempting. Just don't plan on lugging iit nto a real tournament.
    Get both.
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:45
    Ten years ago I bought a plastic set 20$ + a clock 40$ = 60$.It has served me well and neither the board,pieces nor clock show any signs of retiring soon.It plays just as well as any other board 😛
    Guess I don't bother as much about aesthetics as others do.
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:53
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    Ten years ago I bought a plastic set 20$ + a clock 40$ = 60$.It has served me well and neither the board,pieces nor clock show any signs of retiring soon.It plays just as well as any other board 😛
    Guess I don't bother as much about aesthetics as others do.
    My travel set is the standard plastic set, double weighted, with the roll up vinyl board, and a cheap clock that I got on ebay for about $20. I can play on it anywhere and not worry at all about what happens. The set and board have lasted me about 15 years now, and have plenty more in them. But you apparently missed my point. My OTHER set is the really nice one that I like to set up at home. It looks great, and the aesthetic appeal DOES mean something when playing. 😛
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by BLReid
    My travel set is the standard plastic set, double weighted, with the roll up vinyl board, and a cheap clock that I got on ebay for about $20. I can play on it anywhere and not worry at all about what happens. The set and board have lasted me about 15 years now, and have plenty more in them. But you apparently missed my point. My OTHER set is the really nice o ...[text shortened]... to set up at home. It looks great, and the aesthetic appeal DOES mean something when playing. 😛
    Oh I didn't miss your point.Besides the cheap plastic set I own 5 more sets.A marble set,a glass set,a fancy wooden set,a wooden travel set and a dgt board for the computer.I just happen to think it's a bit crazy to buy expensive sets for actual use when cheap ones look good too,last just as long and of course play just as well.The plastic set and dgt board I bought myself,the rest were gifts 🙂

edit: 6 sets!I forgot my stone set 😛
  12. Under Cover
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:261 edit
    Oh I didn't miss your point.Besides the cheap plastic set I own 5 more sets.A marble set,a glass set,a fancy wooden set,a wooden travel set and a dgt board for the computer.I just happen to think it's a bit crazy to buy expensive sets for actual use when cheap ones look good too,last just as long and of course play just as well.The plastic set and dgt board I bought myself,the rest were gifts 🙂

edit: 6 sets!I forgot my stone set 😛
    I left some out as well 😉😛

EDIT- For the sake of clarification: a marble set, a folding wooden magnetic travel set, a plastic magnetic travel set, a large and ornate asian set (I think it is called 'eight fairies', but the sculpted figurines are no fun to play, I prefer the Staunton style), a flat refrigerator magnet set, and an old tabletop computer set put out by Radio Shack back in the early 90's (Supposedly rated 2150, and does actually play pretty good).
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:40
    Originally posted by BLReid
    I left some out as well 😉😛

EDIT- For the sake of clarification: a marble set, a folding wooden magnetic travel set, a plastic magnetic travel set, a large and ornate asian set (I think it is called 'eight fairies', but the sculpted figurines are no fun to play, I prefer the Staunton style), a flat refrigerator magnet set, and an old tabletop computer set ...[text shortened]... dio Shack back in the early 90's (Supposedly rated 2150, and does actually play pretty good).
    I have to adjust again,I sold the glass set to a friend.But I too have a tabletop chesscomp.Think I'll sell that one too though,I never use it anymore.
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:43
    I have to adjust again,I sold the glass set to a friend.But I too have a tabletop chesscomp.Think I'll sell that one too though,I never use it anymore.
    Me either. I have Fritz 8 and the internet now 😀
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 13:15
    Here it is

http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/wooden.html

Imperial Set
    (including mahogany chest)
    £415.00
    • postage £15 UK, £30 overseas

A great set - a present from my wife!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree