1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 18:17
    Originally posted by techsouth
    I think it is cheating according to the TOS, although there may be some gray area somewhere.

While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party.

Setting up a middle-game or end-game position and then playing out your side, with the computer acting as your opponent definitely provides ...[text shortened]... proving your knowledge of an opening while you have a game in the early stages of that opening.
    One criteria of cheating is this:
    If you dare telling what you do on this forum, then it's not cheating.
    If you don't dare telling it here, then it's probably cheating.
    If you're in any doubts, then don't do it, it might be cheating.
    Provided you've read TOS 3(b) and understand it correctly, of course.
  2. Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 23:18
    Cheating....cheating......I like to call it COMPUTER AIDED CHESS. I feel there is NOTHING wrong with it. But then again, I "may" have used a wireless mic and wireless camera at a USCF OTB Tourney and "may" have won some $$$$.

There is a fine line to be walked when you are consulting a computer program. I have found that the most STAUNCH PUBLIC opponents of Compter aided chess are the FIRST ones to whip out the RYBKA on a QUAD Core with 8 gigs of ram and privately "consult it".
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 23:401 edit
    Originally posted by cheater1
    Cheating....cheating......I like to call it COMPUTER AIDED CHESS. I feel there is NOTHING wrong with it. But then again, I "may" have used a wireless mic and wireless camera at a USCF OTB Tourney and "may" have won some $$$$.

There is a fine line to be walked when you are consulting a computer program. I have found that the most STAUNCH PUBLIC opponents ...[text shortened]... T ones to whip out the RYBKA on a QUAD Core with 8 gigs of ram and privately "consult it".
    I think criminal charges should be brought against those who cheat to win $$ at tournaments. They should be treated the same as any other scammer.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 23:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    One criteria of cheating is this:
    If you dare telling what you do on this forum, then it's not cheating.
    There have been cases of people telling what they were doing and getting banned.
  5. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 09:561 edit
    You have to ask the question to yourself. The easy, but inaccurate answer from any other person would be that it is cheating. It looks certainly dubious as soon as you play out against a program starting from a position that is out of book. Before that, I would say there is no cheating technically, but it still may be in your mind.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 10:19
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    There have been cases of people telling what they were doing and getting banned.
    Then he shouldn't dare. He should think first and ask himself "Does anyone think this is cheating?" Even the slightest 'yes' in the answer, he shouldn't do it.

Samething cheating on your girlfriend. If the hot babe in the grocery store clearly wants a kiss, can I tell this to my girl friend? If no, then don't kiss her. That's my critera on cheating.
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 11:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If the hot babe in the grocery store clearly wants a kiss, can I tell this to my girl friend? If no, then don't kiss her. That's my critera on cheating.
    My criteria is that if it isn't one of Rybka's top 3 choices then I'm fine. So where's this grocery store? 😉
  8. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 18:48
    Originally posted by cheater1

There is a fine line to be walked when you are consulting a computer program. I have found that the most STAUNCH PUBLIC opponents ...[text shortened]... T ones to whip out the RYBKA on a QUAD Core with 8 gigs of ram and privately "consult it".
    Ok, now I know who you were. 😉
  9. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 19:26
    Originally posted by Jakal

Don't blame me... Blame it on the Rain.
    In my humble opinion it is often the boogie that has a lot more to answer for.
  10. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 19:29
    I had a position in which I made a sac on move 13. I gained a decisive advantage and we are now on about move 25. If I owned a computer it would be tempting to go back and put in the position to see if the sac was sound. The line actually followed is of no further interest. My view is that this would not be cheating but would be against the board rules? Naturally you should not comment on any specific game, if I had played it out to a losing position the same principle would apply.
  11. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 20:01
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    I had a position in which I made a sac on move 13. I gained a decisive advantage and we are now on about move 25. If I owned a computer it would be tempting to go back and put in the position to see if the sac was sound. The line actually followed is of no further interest. My view is that this would not be cheating but would be against the board rule ...[text shortened]... n any specific game, if I had played it out to a losing position the same principle would apply.
    TOS 3 (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. [....]
  12. Fichtekränzi
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 20:38
    Originally posted by peacedog
    I played an OTB club game about 1994. The game was adjourned. The those days of adjournments outside help was the norm. I went home and fired up my Novag Diamond chess computer. I played many times, as both colours, with the position. Thinking my opponent did not have a machine to aid him I paid particular attention to how the beast beat me when I was playi ...[text shortened]... ctory.

When I look back on it now, better I lost!

And regarding RHP. Don’t please.
    You did not cheat anno 94. All agreed, that is ok to use an engine '94,
    because the engines where really bad ( I remember playing against
    psion chess, just to compensate, when I lost OTB ).

Thats the reason, adjourned game were abrogated.

btw. as I know, the ICCF alows engine use. That may be ok with the really good players. But in the amateur league we are playing here ( hi korch! ;-) ),
    only the engines would play each other, if allowed.
    I think, its very good, engines are forbidden here. But how can RHP check that??

(sorry for my english)
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 05:26
    Originally posted by Talisman
    Why don't you just try and work it out for yourself and remove any doubt? You may just learn something!
    Doing it yourself? What a novel idea🙂
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 06:50
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    I had a position in which I made a sac on move 13. I gained a decisive advantage and we are now on about move 25. If I owned a computer it would be tempting to go back and put in the position to see if the sac was sound. The line actually followed is of no further interest. My view is that this would not be cheating but would be against the board rule ...[text shortened]... n any specific game, if I had played it out to a losing position the same principle would apply.
    It is always possible that you will see something in the computer analysis and realize - oh, snap! - that the idea will still work later in the game.

Then, if you use the idea, you are cheating.

The safe bet is to not analyze the game with a computer at all, until it is finished.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree