1. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:12
    I'm new to playing chess online. I was accused of cheating by an opponent after winning my 2nd game with them. After making it clear that I do not cheat, they agreed to a new game however in the middle of it they again claimed that I was cheating again and had proof. They said that they had got some cheat detection device from the internet.. Maybe I should be happy to play well enough to fool the device however I am not. Any suggestions on how to best handle situations like this?
    thanks
    vbrown
  2. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:181 edit
    Originally posted by vbrown
    I'm new to playing chess online. I was accused of cheating by an opponent after winning my 2nd game with them. After making it clear that I do not cheat, they agreed to a new game however in the middle of it they again claimed that I was cheating again and had proof. They said that they had got some cheat detection device from the internet.. Maybe I shoul ...[text shortened]... however I am not. Any suggestions on how to best handle situations like this?
    thanks
    vbrown
    Very kindly ask xanthos to run a check of your games with his engine, if your moves match the engine you will be banned!! LOL!

If your opponent is convinced you are an engine user, they have proberbly already alerted you, if not, report him for his accusations.

🙂
  3. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:21
    Unless you are only using and engine for some games, it is clear you are not using an engine.

He's just bitter. 😉
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:28
    Originally posted by rmacken
    Very kindly ask xanthos to run a check of your games with his engine, if your moves match the engine you will be banned!! LOL!

If your opponent is convinced you are an engine user, they have proberbly already alerted you, if not, report him for his accusations.

🙂
    Xanthos, please check my games for cheating.

How do I report my accuser?
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:29
    just ignore him. chess attracts paranoid people. if he keeps bothering you unreasonably much, send site feedback and they'll take care of it.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:33
    Originally posted by vbrown
    Xanthos, please check my games for cheating.

How do I report my accuser?
    you're around 1300, it's obvious you're not cheating.

you can use site feedback link on the bottom of the page to report him, but I don't know if it's necessary if he doesn't unreasonably harass you. there will always be some paranoid jerks, but luckily not much.
  7. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:35
    Post the games and we can have a look see.

After all without engines I would never have reached the mighty pinacle of 1464!
  8. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:35
    I would ignore him. Cheating detector? Honestly, I've never heard of anything like that. For him to detect an engine like Fritz or Chessmaster would mean has a way to get past your OS security and see what's running on your desktop.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:36
    looking at who you've played i think it's sour grapes from the other player. (if it's who i thinks it is then they're annoyed because a lower rated plyer has beaten them twice already and is merely looking for excuses).
  10. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:42
    He's murdering you in the third.

Is your engine having a bad game? 😉
  11. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:43
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    looking at who you've played i think it's sour grapes from the other player. (if it's who i thinks it is then they're annoyed because a lower rated plyer has beaten them twice already and is merely looking for excuses).
    Where's that Avatar from?! 😲😀
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:47
    Originally posted by wormwood
    you're around 1300, it's obvious you're not cheating.

you can use site feedback link on the bottom of the page to report him, but I don't know if it's necessary if he doesn't unreasonably harass you. there will always be some paranoid jerks, but luckily not much.
    Well I think my low rating 1330, is what made them think I must be cheating since they had a 1480 rating and I beat them twice. Plus their cheat detector said so.
    Thanks for the fast feed back.
    My games are here for the poster who is interested.
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/viewpublicgames.php?isminiboard=on&uid=305431
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:54
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    He's murdering you in the third.

Is your engine having a bad game? 😉
    No, after writing a response to the accusation, I didn't look close enough at consequenses of my move.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 00:54
    After all without engines I would never have reached the mighty pinacle of 1464!
    It's hard to know where I would be without engines. I've been playing against them for 18 years, and use them extensively in post-mortem analysis. Without them, I would be forced to rely on myself and my friends to find where I went wrong in finished games.

As for the main topic of this thread: ignore those who accuse you of cheating (unless they are correct). I've been accused once or twice here, and I long ago lost count of such accusations during online blitz.

Cheating accusations run rampant; cheating itself less so. Some players cheat; far more are suspected--sometimes for good cause, usually not.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 01:00
    Where's that Avatar from?! 😲😀
    Portugal

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree