1. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    30 May '09 10:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Orion, which book is it you are interested in?
    I was looking for 'a guide to good chess', by CJS Purdy
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 12:03
    Originally posted by orion25
    I was looking for 'a guide to good chess', by CJS Purdy
    this is a very difficult book to find, i was just lucky and got a copy on ebay, sent from Australia. keep searching for it and a copy will turn up, but in the meantime, try 'the search for chess perfection', its really quite similar and more comprehensive.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 May '09 18:17
    At the risk of further hijacking the thread... 😞

Consistent with Robbie's experience, I also like Purdy's Guide to Good Chess. It's not the only book a beginner/novice should read, but it contains some really good info. It's not worth the outrageous prices some sellers want for it, but as tomtom said, if you hunt for it you'll likely find a few copies at reasonable asking prices.

Try using the Addall search engine (www.addall.com). Click on the "used and out of print" tab before searching.

As tomtom said, the 12th edition (orange-red cover, circa 2001 or 2002) is in algebraic notation. The 11th edition (green cover, circa 1996) is also in algebraic.

I usually avoid the Amazon used book sellers, as it's harder for me to get detailed info on the sellers, and my buying experiences with them have been less than I'd like.

I got my copy a few years back when Bob Long was shutting down his Chessco operation and selling off his warehouse of chess books and equipment at really cheap prices. (In hindsight, I should have bought a case of them - I'd have cleaned up on that deal.) For a while, a lot of the copies were being sold at Half Price Book stores in the US for around 5 bucks or so, if memory serves correct - but those days are long gone.

Apparently Bob is starting up his Thinkers' Press company again. (www.thinkerspressinc.com) He mentions that a 2009 catalog of a small number of books is available, but he doesn't post a copy of the catalog on his web site. (He requires that you send him your name and e-mail address before he'll send you the catalog.) No idea if any Purdy books are in the catalog.
  4. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    30 May '09 19:14
    I've just found out I have 4 chess books in my library without even knowing it (actually its 5 but I can't speak german). I've got a book by Dr.Max Euwe (Practic chess lessons or something like that, in dutch), I've got Winning with the Queen's Indian by Zoltan Ribli and Gabor Kalai, both seem to be a good read at first glance, I've also got Batsford Chess Openings by Gary Kasparov and Raymon Keene which looks a little bit more difficult to understand, so I think I will wait some more time to buy those books, anyway I was able to find one guide to good chess for just 5€ plus shipping
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 May '09 19:34
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Chess- A Gentlemans Game ! It surely is. The best"game" ever invented.Its actually more than just a game though. Unfortunately,not every one feels this way. When playing OTB and the time runs out on the clock its game over. I do not think any one disagrees w/that. But, playing on-line some people do not believe these same rules apply. Its not the firs ...[text shortened]... be seen.Its the nature of the internet,I guess. But its sad to see Chess brought to this level
    I used to experience real ugliness on yahoochess. Never on RHP. Everyone I have ever played has been a gentleman/woman. It is regrettable that some people feel the need to get ugly and hide behind the internet. Real cowardly behavior indeed. I have never felt the need to get ugly even when being baselessly accused of cheating. Fatlady and some other mods examined my games as a result and pronounced me clean, but playing that one player left me a real bad taste. I know someone was banned for insulting PM's. Perhaps you should report the person who insulted you.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 19:35
    Originally posted by orion25
    I've just found out I have 4 chess books in my library without even knowing it (actually its 5 but I can't speak german). I've got a book by Dr.Max Euwe (Practic chess lessons or something like that, in dutch), I've got Winning with the Queen's Indian by Zoltan Ribli and Gabor Kalai, both seem to be a good read at first glance, I've also got Batsford Chess O ...[text shortened]... y those books, anyway I was able to find one guide to good chess for just 5€ plus shipping
    I have taken that 'winning with the queens Indian out from my local library, about three times, it was on each occasion useless, as are many opening books, especially at my measly level, honestly, the guide to good chess is so excellently written ,humorous as well as very instructive, you will be glad that you bought it. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree