1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 02:53
    Originally posted by Golub
    I tried out your method, and it was a quite interesting. The position I took was from a Gazza game (as white):

[fen]r1b2rk1/pp1n2pp/2p2p2/q2n4/1b1P3B/2NB1N2/PP1Q1PPP/2R2RK1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

I wrote down all the lines I could think of on a paper in the order I thought of them. My first 5 variations or so of analysis was quite horrible, but the more I calc ...[text shortened]... is an analogy with partially ordered plans), however it is not that trivial to do, I guess.
    I never tried it myself. I just read about it and thought it was a neat idea.

For the position you posted, It seems like it's a late opening position. It has to be a messy middlegame position. The one you posted it "simple" and clean. You know those position you stare at and ask yourself, what the heck is going on?

That's what you want. Plus if you spent 30 minutes on the exercise, then I think the position was to simple. From what I heard it would take 2+ hours.

I know writing it down is not the same but this exercise teaches you to calculate in your head - You calculate the variation and then write it down.

It also teachs you how to evaluate the position several moves later. So like you said, you thought white has an advantage after ____. You stick that in your chess program, go through the variation and see if you evaluation was right.

I'll try it out one day, but for now I just know what I read from books and online sites.
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 03:17
    I find it difficult to calculate because I don't have the best short term memory. Often times, I'll be playing OTB, calculate pretty deeply into a variation, and forget it by the time I'm ready to decide on a move. While I agree with RahimK about the calculation improving technique, I'm not sure it's going to help with OTB since players cannot write anything other than their moves. It would be nice if each OTB player was allowed once piece of scrap paper (like taking Math tests in high school)!
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 03:17

Here is a messy position. Still can't find a great example.

White to move from Akopian vs Anand.

You got:

1.Nxc5
    1.Bxc5
    1.Ra1
    1.Move the knight away.

Maybe do something else and forget about the knight.

etc...

As you can see, tons of variations and lots of work!

The best puzzles are the ones with imbalances. Rook vs Bishop + pawn and everything else the same.

etc....
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 03:21
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    I find it difficult to calculate because I don't have the best short term memory. Often times, I'll be playing OTB, calculate pretty deeply into a variation, and forget it by the time I'm ready to decide on a move. While I agree with RahimK about the calculation improving technique, I'm not sure it's going to help with OTB since players cannot write an ...[text shortened]... h OTB player was allowed once piece of scrap paper (like taking Math tests in high school)!
    Well the paper thing.

You calculate a variation and then assess who is winning. If you like it you save it. Then calculate the next one. If it's better replace and continue.

If not to keep the old one in memory and continue. So really you are only saving 1 variation at a time.

I found by doing lots of tactics, my calculation increased. OTB, I think 5 moves deep is do able and adequate enough.

The key is to assess the position correctly X moves deep.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 09:02
    Originally posted by Golub
    What is "right"? I never wanted a shortcut. I wanted the most proper way to do it you know..
    Sure, I know. Your posts always make a lot of sense.

What I meant was that you should learn from those who have proven in practice that their methods work (e.g. Tisdall, Aagaard, Soltis, Dvoretsky, Yusupov, etc.). e.g. I don't read from these guys about writing down variations as part of the training process. Concentration and mental discipline is a big part of complex calculation; using pencil and paper helps too much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree