1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 18:12
    Originally posted by Cityblue
    Yes, his rating was approx 1930 for a number of years and then in a 6 month period he rose to the heights of 2484 !!

That's some coach he had 😉
    That's not a coach he had it was a computer at the end of the wireless connection. That reminds me of the whiz-kids who learn chess, start playing CC and reach 2300 all in the space of a year. Did I read right what they said in the article, that not even "Vishy" Anand progressed like that?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 18:50
    Originally posted by z00t
    That's not a coach he had it was a computer at the end of the wireless connection. That reminds me of the whiz-kids who learn chess, start playing CC and reach 2300 all in the space of a year. Did I read right what they said in the article, that not even "Vishy" Anand progressed like that?
    I believe that the wink indicates sarcasm....

Anywhooo, my only thought is this is good, but a life sentence would be better.
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 19:11
    Originally posted by zebano
    I believe that the wink indicates sarcasm....

Anywhooo, my only thought is this is good, but a life sentence would be better.
    FIDE should actually step in and introduce penalties rather than let the US do one thing and let India do another. After all in football FIFA rules apply to all countries not one rule in US and another in India. Then again you cannot compare football and chess can you as they are different ball games.
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 19:35
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    The article starts off "An Indian Chess player..." do they mean the style of play or the color of his skin!? what does his nationality matter?

Anyway, another quote is; "Officials found Bluetooth device in Sharma's cap"
    Well if he is using a wireless device so near his brain, all of us who are appauled by this may find some solice in the fact that i ...[text shortened]... l contract brain cancer from all the microwave radiation being scattered into his skull! :p
    Is there and Indian skin colour?

I know sure as hell there isn't a british skin colour.
  5. Johannesburg
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 21:16
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    crude, yet simple ... he used bluetooth.
    And none of his opponents noticed when he grinned at his success after each game? 😉
  6. Johannesburg
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 21:17
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Is there and Indian skin colour?

I know sure as hell there isn't a british skin colour.
    That's cause there's no sun in Britain 😉
  7. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 21:48
    What would be an acceptable rate of progress? 1900 to 2400 seems abnormal, but how about say.. 200 pts every year? So if he went from 1900 to 2100 would that lead anyone to suspect anything? Maybe the cheater should have paced himself 🙂

I guess when kids do it (reaching 2000+ rating after only learning the game a few years earlier) it's more acceptable. From what I hear there are a ton of young teens out there now playing at this level of chess. Obviously they're not cheating, they just learned chess at an age when their brains can absorb information much better.

I could probably progress at such speed, but it'd probably take me 10x as much effort and a resignation note to my employer saying I can't work due to chess. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree