1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 20:25
    A player who used a wireless device to win games and (due to his results) also qualified for the national championship was banned for 10 years.

See http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/12/27/chess.cheater.reut/index.html
  2. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 20:50
    The article starts off "An Indian Chess player..." do they mean the style of play or the color of his skin!? what does his nationality matter?

Anyway, another quote is; "Officials found Bluetooth device in Sharma's cap"
    Well if he is using a wireless device so near his brain, all of us who are appauled by this may find some solice in the fact that it is possible he will contract brain cancer from all the microwave radiation being scattered into his skull! :p
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 20:54
    Originally posted by z00t
    A player who used a wireless device to win games and (due to his results) also qualified for the national championship was banned for 10 years.

You will always be caught. Usually because your improvement is too dramatic and too quick or because your standard of play is of too inconsistent a standard (i.e. standard and type of tactical lines chosen rather than just crazy lapses, eg. missing a mate in 1, which even a 1200 could see)
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 21:04
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    The article starts off "An Indian Chess player..." do they mean the style of play or the colour of his skin!? what does his nationality matter?

... :p
    Don't read between the lines. The Indian Federation banned one of their players, that does not mean that the article is launching a racial attack, it is just reporting the facts.

Whilst cheats have been caught in the US, it is the Indian Fed which is the first to actually ban the offenders. In the US they are stripped of their prizes.

Whilst India has very strong players, a player who cheated his way into the National Championships for so long without being undiscovered means that the arbiters in his tournaments were probably having a kip.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 21:33

GauravV strikes again!!
  6. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 22:31
    May he be banned forever. I wonder how that worked. The article says he "communicated" with someone outside. How did he communicate? Did he get up after each move and say the move into a microphone? Did he tap it out in morse code? Hmm.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 00:43
    Originally posted by buddy2
    May he be banned forever. I wonder how that worked. The article says he "communicated" with someone outside. How did he communicate? Did he get up after each move and say the move into a microphone? Did he tap it out in morse code? Hmm.
    The event probably had the games webcast.
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 12:05
    ChessBase.com writes that he was a 1900 level player for many years who suddenly ascended to 2500. His friend "improved" from 2300 to 2500.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3573
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 12:34
    He proberly frequented the rest rooms rather too often.

Was Topolov playing?
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 13:31
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    The article starts off "An Indian Chess player..." do they mean the style of play or the color of his skin!? what does his nationality matter?

Anyway, another quote is; "Officials found Bluetooth device in Sharma's cap"
    Well if he is using a wireless device so near his brain, all of us who are appauled by this may find some solice in the fact that i ...[text shortened]... l contract brain cancer from all the microwave radiation being scattered into his skull! :p
    People use labels that is all there is to it. A label is not always name calling.
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 14:09
    Man, I hate reading about his stuff! Been playing over 45 years and, as great as chess engines are I almost wish they’d never been invented! As primarily a postal player (some of still use post cards), 30-some years ago I somehow managed to beat one of the top 10 rated US postal masters. I still remember how gracious he was when he congratulated me on my play even though he must have been pretty upset because the loss knocked him out of the top 10. Imagine if I had won that game today! Recently, on another site where I was rated 2300+, I accepted a challenge from a player who had been rated in the mid-1600’s forever. All of a sudden, before we even finished our game (which I lost) he was rated 1800+. Now, two weeks later I see he’s over 2100. Engine user? Probably, but I’ll take my loss and keep playing because I enjoy the game and most people are playing moves they thought of themselves. It’s just sad though. Sad, sad, sad.
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 16:14

Sam Malone did that on Cheers when he played Robin Colcorde
  13. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 16:50
    crude, yet simple ... he used bluetooth.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 17:53
    Originally posted by masscat
    Man, I hate reading about his stuff! Been playing over 45 years and, as great as chess engines are I almost wish they’d never been invented! As primarily a postal player (some of still use post cards), 30-some years ago I somehow managed to beat one of the top 10 rated US postal masters. I still remember how gracious he was when he congratulated me on my p ...[text shortened]... most people are playing moves they thought of themselves. It’s just sad though. Sad, sad, sad.
    A sudden dramatic improvement after a long time at a certain level of play is a dead give away of abuse.

Real people improve gradually and have a few set backs along the way.

A swing of a 100 points either was proves nothing here because so many games are being played. You could be rated 1900 but easily rise to 2000 or drop to 1800 depending on when you take the wins. Most people try and take wins quickly and battle on with their lost games hoping for inspiration, a blunder or (heaven forbid) a sneeky skull so their real grade is probably 100-200 below their peak grade and a sudden bad patch can pull them below this. This is not an indication of che@ting.
  15. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 10:01
    Yes, his rating was approx 1930 for a number of years and then in a 6 month period he rose to the heights of 2484 !!

That's some coach he had 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree