1. Joined
    29 May '14
    Moves
    11 May '15 14:051 edit
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    I think about playing over the board, Ive never done this and would really like to
    Have you considered the chess clubs in Wrexham and Oswestry?
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    16 May '15 06:54
    Hi yes, I contacted them both regarding a chess tutor.

Regards,

Willy.............
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    16 May '15 14:10
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    Hi yes, I contacted them both regarding a chess tutor.

Regards,

Willy.............
    There is no greater teacher than experience. Now, stop poncing about and get down there and play!
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 May '15 00:21
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    There is no greater teacher than experience. Now, stop poncing about and get down there and play!
    Easy for you to say.

Whenever I visit the local clubs, I tend to get mobbed by the geeks. Usually only the dominant ones, but geeks all the same. Can't really play any serious games (with serious learning taking place) while undergoing the distraction of getting ogled. I've actually seen fights break out over which variation is best in a game I was trying to learn from.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    20 May '15 02:25
    I wouldn't say I'm a professional tutor or anything approaching that but I have helped a few players along the way in my time, if anyone wants to play an unrated game I'd be happy to play a game where we chat about the game as we go along and / or afterwards PM me and I'd be happy to discuss this with anyone
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '15 08:101 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Easy for you to say.

Whenever I visit the local clubs, I tend to get mobbed by the geeks. Usually only the dominant ones, but geeks all the same. Can't really play any serious games (with serious learning taking place) while undergoing the distraction of getting ogled. I've actually seen fights break out over which variation is best in a game I was trying to learn from.
    wow you're such an attention seeker! Have you tried a disguise, maybe a Groucho Marx mask or something?
  7. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    20 May '15 08:14
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Easy for you to say.

I'm sure Sirdubalot knows what I'm getting at following our discussions in both public and private a year or so ago. If he goes and it lives up to his worst fears, whatever they are, at least he would be able to say he tried and it wasn't for him. In my experience chess clubs rarely have anyone who actually gives tuition except to juniors. You have to work on the premise that club players know something more about the game than you do, go there and play them and go through it with them afterwards. Not everything you hear will be right but at least you are on the road. I've said it before and I'll say it again: no-one else can do your thinking for you. You have to work out by bitter experience where your thinking about the game is wrong and modify it. By thinking I include tactical thoughts, strategic thoughts, judgements and assessments, memory and previous experience. That is a process that takes effort and there comes a time when people give up on it. Most of the clubs I have belonged to the members just want to go and play chess without the rigmarole of teaching people as such. Perhaps this is because many of them feel they are still on the journey.

Chess clubs can be interesting places. I was a member of my last club for 12 years. At various times membership included lawyers, police officers, university professors, accountants, gardeners, electricians, medical staff, teachers and so on. But there was also a convicted fraudster, another petty criminal playing under a false name, and a lady who supplemented her "normal" income with prostitution!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '15 21:43
    I agree there is no help like self help but even masters had coaches.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 May '15 21:04
    Who wants to be my chess coach? I promise to apply all of your teachings and to make you famous!
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 20:22
    Originally posted by Russ
    If we can bash out exactly what people want from such a feature, then this can happen. Although I have some other priorities, a new feature like this could be a nice distraction. 🙂
    I've Been playing in some games where more experienced players have made comment on my numerous bad moves, it's been very useful and I feel it's helped my game.

Willy.....
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 20:53
    Originally posted by HikaruShindo
    I will play a discussion game with you, although I'm not sure whether I'm strong enough…
    your not
  12. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 09:44
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    your not
    you're not
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 15:00
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    you're not
    your knot

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree