1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 03:54
    Originally posted by masscat
    You asked, so here goes:

About 30 years ago a local master used to go to the library, copy old tmt books by hand, type them up and run off copies which he then sold. He asked me to play over about 200+ games from one of the Lone Pine tmts and correct typos. My next couple of tmts saw my rating jump about 100 pts. When I mentioned this to him, he said “ ...[text shortened]... was not even looking for a combination.
    Game 1211563

Grandmouster's post is excellent
    Yups yups. The piece sac, gotta be careful in the sicilian. I go over games in the openings I like and try to figure out the plans. It helps a lot.

Any other secrets? I already knew about that one so it doesn't count 🙂
  2. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 12:071 edit
    Originally posted by Grandmouster

I tried to impart my knowledge to the masses here, but get flamed, or snide post from trollers.
    That says it all...........
    Search my previous posts; I pretty much covered everything in them, but nobody takes me seriously.
  3. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 14:31
    That says it all...........
    Search my previous posts; I pretty much covered everything in them, but nobody takes me seriously.
    its a lonely world for us geniuses...😵
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 20:32
    I don't got nothing against any of you guys, but maybe people don't take you seriously because of your ratings on here.

I'm not talking about myself but why would say someone on here with a 1800+ rating take you guys seriously since he is better?
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 22:57
    Originally posted by RahimK
    [b]I don't got nothing against any of you guys, but maybe people don't take you seriously because of your ratings on here.
    Most of these posts are from players who will NEVER reach 1800 at the rate they are going; my OTB/Postal rating has been over that for 20+ years. My Chessworld rating was over 2100 (I don't play there anymore). My RHP rating is meaningless because I don't play here except a couple of friends, both of whom are at least 1800 OTB.

Both you and Grandmouster are rated above most of the posters but how many people listen? Your lessons seem popular, probably for the same reason people buy books and tapes. They want a quick fix, learn that one secret, and for most, it'll never happen simply because they study, know the material, but don't know how to apply it.

I suppose we will keep trying to enlighten people, but I doubt they will listen because that's human nature
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 23:03
    My RHP rating is meaningless because I don't play here except a couple of friends, both of whom are at least 1800 OTB.
    If I had a cent for everytime I heard such lame excuses on this forum I'd be rich.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 23:14
    Most of these posts are from players who will NEVER reach 1800 at the rate they are going; my OTB/Postal rating has been over that for 20+ years. My Chessworld rating was over 2100 (I don't play there anymore). My RHP rating is meaningless because I don't play here except a couple of friends, both of whom are at least 1800 OTB.

Both you and Grandmouste ...[text shortened]... l keep trying to enlighten people, but I doubt they will listen because that's human nature
    Again nothing against you, but if your postal rating was so high then should it be pretty high on here?

I know you said you don't care about here but you still play games on here and I mean don't you try to win them?

I don't get all those people claiming that they are all good and everything but yet thier rating on here is no where close. How can someone be 2000+ and be at like 1600 here after they have played 30+ games? I just can't understand it.
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 23:15

Both you and Grandmouste ...[text shortened]... l keep trying to enlighten people, but I doubt they will listen because that's human nature
    i think it's also part of the fact that people cant vouch for people over the internet as they can when talking to people in person. people have no ways of backing up their claims.
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 23:27
    What are you saying??
    Don't you believe me??
    At my local chess club I play and crush 2000+ rated opponents,only that here I play 50 games at a time,my library has a crappy internet connection and I must do all my moves in 15 minutes!
    How cannot you believe what someone says on an internet forum?
    There's plenty of miscredent people here,pftttt. 😉
  10. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 23:43
    Im sure if everyone just made moves, took their time, studied the game, and made their moves without using any "help" their ratings over time would reflect true strengh.
    I bet if i played most of the people here, who took my points, in an OTB game, say a 5min or so game. I would win many of the games.
    This is a new way to play for me, and it will take a while to adjust.
    (BTW, my GM teacher, when i told him i was playing here, said "huh" forget that! play some 30 min games instead.)
    This is just an extention of online blitz, and other time controls.
    You dont know who your playing, and dont know exactly how their getting moves.
    I play fast, here, and need to take more time, but thats the nature of my game.
    Some people do well here, and can relate to the the format.
    Im sure if i took it more seriously, and maybe played more OTB tournament games, and really studied chess more, 2000 is a realistic goal.
    I think most players here dont take as much time as they should, and thus their ratings reflect that.
    What you put into it, is what you get out of it.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 23:52
    Im sure if everyone just made moves, took their time, studied the game, and made their moves without using any "help" their ratings over time would reflect true strengh.
    I bet if i played most of the people here, who took my points, in an OTB game, say a 5min or so game. I would win many of the games.
    This is a new way to play for me, and it will take ...[text shortened]... ould, and thus their ratings reflect that.
    What you put into it, is what you get out of it.
    So you could beat people in 5 minute chess? For me, the chess here is by far a more accurate way of finding out how good people are at chess. There is no time scramble where people can blunder away, unless they do not give their opponent due repect and do not take their time. It is still not quite as accurate as longplay OTB, however.

I'm quite happy to let my chess do the talking for me.
  12. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 23:55

(BTW, my GM teacher, when i told him i was playing here, said "huh" forget that! play some 30 min games instead.)
    This is just an extention of online blitz, and other time controls.
    Funny enough many chess teachers' advice is to play a lot of slow games as it helps to build the thinking process and on counter they say that blitz can be really counterproductive for your chess improvement.
    Not my words, just Dan Heisman's at chesscafè.com.

I don't believe someone who says "I play fast here and need to take more time" then claims to play better in a 5 min. blitz game than in a 3 dayst/o+7days t/b game, it's simply non sense.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Feb '06 00:171 edit
    Most of these posts are from players who will NEVER reach 1800
    most people never will. it's the law of average, and the average is far from 1800.

I don't have any problems believing you are strong, because you have hardly any losses, and your low rating is easily explained by looking at your opponents ratings.

but grandmouster is a whole different story: he has hardly any wins against 1500+ and only three against 1600+, one of which was by timeout. even I have more, with a couple against 1700+, and I have 67 games against his 170. he lost to powershaker, with a crappy endgame I might add, and still he thinks he's a real hot shot. he's also incredibly touchy and reacts with a flamethrower against anyone who dares to disagree with him. why should anybody take him seriously?

respect is not demanded, it's earned. wild accusations and condescending 'impartation of knowledge' will hardly do the job.
  14. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    06 Feb '06 02:25
    Originally posted by wormwood
    most people never will. it's the law of average, and the average is far from 1800.

I don't have any problems believing you are strong, because you have hardly any losses, and your low rating is easily explained by looking at your opponents ratings.

but grandmouster is a whole different story: he has hardly any wins against 1500+ and only three against ...[text shortened]... ed. wild accusations and condescending 'impartation of knowledge' will hardly do the job.
    Another troll. Seem to be a lot of them around here.
    Im still 100 points higher rated then you, so sour grapes.
    Offer some positive words maybe here instead of attacking me.
    Powershaker sent me 10 insane messages after i fell asleep in a game after crushing him. That game was won by me, and i saw where i blew it. I can learn from my mistakes, and try to help other players when i can.
    What constructive advice do you have? Troll?
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Feb '06 03:261 edit
    Another troll. Seem to be a lot of them around here.
    Im still 100 points higher rated then you, so sour grapes.
    Offer some positive words maybe here instead of attacking me.
    Powershaker sent me 10 insane messages after i fell asleep in a game after crushing him. That game was won by me, and i saw where i blew it. I can learn from my mistakes, and try to help other players when i can.
    What constructive advice do you have? Troll?
    perhaps you're a little slow. I've told you twice before that I'm a beginner, it's even in my profile. 6 months now since I learned the rules. I think 1500 is perfectly ok for that.

I'm sure powershaker sent you loopy messages, that seems to be his thing. but it has nothing to do with you losing to him. you lost. deal with it.

grandmouster vs powershaker 0-1
    Game 1683218

nothing wrong with trying to help where you can. unfortunately most of your 'help' is throwing unfounded accusations, calling people trolls and boasting to be hundreds of points stronger than your rating shows. why don't you save that to your sandbox.

for the positive words: you're gonna start getting them when you stop disrespecting people. work on your attidude. until then, you'll get pretty much what you give. if you can't take it, well tough.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree