Chess Course Books by Lev Alburt

Chess Course Books by Lev Alburt

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by Grandmouster
Im sure if everyone just made moves, took their time, studied the game, and made their moves without using any "help" their ratings over time would reflect true strengh.
I bet if i played most of the people here, who took my points, in an OTB game, say a 5min or so game. I would win many of the games.
This is a new way to play for me, and it will take ...[text shortened]... ould, and thus their ratings reflect that.
What you put into it, is what you get out of it.
5 min OTB game? I hardly consider that much of a chess game.

Now Game in 120 min with 30 sec increment after each move. Now that's a REAL OTB game.

Professional OTB games use what kind of time control? Similar to the one I mentioned and not 5 min.

G
ChessObsessed

Earth

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by RahimK
5 min OTB game? I hardly consider that much of a chess game.

Now Game in 120 min with 30 sec increment after each move. Now that's a REAL OTB game.

Professional OTB games use what kind of time control? Similar to the one I mentioned and not 5 min.
My point was...
Im not an CC player. I "grew up" on 5min games.
Being an 1100, and getting schooled by the chess hustlers in washington sq. pk. With chess clock, and mostly 5 min.
This is not really my game, but if i played most of these players in a 5 min game, i would be in my neighberhood. Right now im still getting used to this, and should get my rating up.
Some trolls seem to fear me, and attack me. But i suspect thats just their game.

G
ChessObsessed

Earth

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by wormwood
perhaps you're a little slow. I've told you twice before that I'm a beginner, it's even in my profile. 6 months now since I learned the rules. I think 1500 is perfectly ok for that.

I'm sure powershaker sent you loopy messages, that seems to be his thing. but it has nothing to do with you losing to him. you lost. deal with it.

grandmouster vs powersha ...[text shortened]... . until then, you'll get pretty much what you give. if you can't take it, well tough.
Oh my! what huge words from a little boy...
Im only disrespecting the ones who start in on me. Worm....
What have you done? are you commiting some crimes you dont want anyone to find out about?
Have you seen something in me your afraid of?
Are you afraid someone is going to "find you out"
are you really powershaker?
Its against the rules to use more then one handle powerless...
Shall i post the butwhoping i did to powerless, again?
Worm.....

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Feb 06

I wouldn't diss a beginner, that's just wrong. They are still learning and so what if their rating is low? That's how people get discourage from chess.

Anyways, i'm just curious, at the Marshall club which I think you said you go to, do you play blitz game with 5 min each? Have you ever tried you hand at the long timer games? It would be so much fun especailly at such a great club as the marshall. I read some of the report now and then and it sounds wonderfull. I see they also got nice prizes 🙂

w

Moves
06 Feb 06

I wouldn't diss a beginner, that's just wrong. They are still learning and so what if their rating is low? That's how people get discourage from chess.

Anyways, i'm just curious, at the Marshall club which I think you said you go to, do you play blitz game with 5 min each? Have you ever tried you hand at the long timer games? It would be so much fun espec ...[text shortened]... some of the report now and then and it sounds wonderfull. I see they also got nice prizes 🙂
I play blitz on sunday evenings in a lovely classical pub near where I live with a few friends (almost all of them out-rate me!) When it comes to measuring my standard of play, however, I prefer to go by the longest time limit available, as this is where people play their best chess, and come closest to playing their optimum.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by welsharnie
I play blitz on sunday evenings in a lovely classical pub near where I live with a few friends (almost all of them out-rate me!) When it comes to measuring my standard of play, however, I prefer to go by the longest time limit available, as this is where people play their best chess, and come closest to playing their optimum.
Hey Welsh.. and your wondering why you can't concentrate? Hahah, stop playing blitz. Other people are telling you this and so am I 🙂

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Feb 06

10 min rating on chessmaster about 1400-1500

30 min fun OTB rating at club 1550 but i haven't played in those for a year about

2 hour rating 1700+ . When I used to play 30 min chess a year ago, my otb 2 hour rating was 1700

So you can say

10 min 1500
30 min 1550
2 hr 1700

But i know most people play better blitz chess and very bad 2 hr chess. But this is the way I look at it. How much money can you make winning blitz tourneys? How much money can you win winning stardard control tourneys?

Exactly 🙂

w

Moves
06 Feb 06

Hey Welsh.. and your wondering why you can't concentrate? Hahah, stop playing blitz. Other people are telling you this and so am I 🙂
I usually get 2 games, unless i get a winning streak, in which case 4-5 games (winner stays on unless you beat everyone, hard for me with some 2300+ players there), as we play for 2 hours, with there being 8 players minimum. It is a welcome distraction, but I certainly do not suit that time limit...

w

Moves
06 Feb 06

10 min rating on chessmaster about 1400-1500

30 min fun OTB rating at club 1550 but i haven't played in those for a year about

2 hour rating 1700+ . When I used to play 30 min chess a year ago, my otb 2 hour rating was 1700

So you can say

10 min 1500
30 min 1550
2 hr 1700

But i know most people play better blitz chess and very bad 2 hr ches ...[text shortened]... ing blitz tourneys? How much money can you win winning stardard control tourneys?

Exactly 🙂
They don't really player 'better' blitz. They play 'stronger', in comparison to other blitz players. Their blitz play still wont be a scratch on their longplay.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by welsharnie
They don't really player 'better' blitz. They play 'stronger', in comparison to other blitz players. Their blitz play still wont be a scratch on their longplay.
Very true. You guys drink while playing at the pub? A alcohol shooter chess set would be perfect if you guys do. It about $20 american dollars.

I think blitz will come naturally after being a strong OTB player, but OTB play will not come naturally if you are a good blitz player.

Well not naturally but easier.

It like learning how to drive a standard, its harder but once you can do it, driving an auto is easier. Auto being like blitz. Compared to learning a auto, blitz and then learn standard, otb regular time control.

w

Moves
06 Feb 06

Very true. You guys drink while playing at the pub? A alcohol shooter chess set would be perfect if you guys do. It about $20 american dollars.

I think blitz will come naturally after being a strong OTB player, but OTB play will not come naturally if you are a good blitz player.

Well not naturally but easier.

It like learning how to drive a standard, ...[text shortened]... ike blitz. Compared to learning a auto, blitz and then learn standard, otb regular time control.
I don't drink spirits much, we just have a few pints of beer while watching the games or playing.

G
ChessObsessed

Earth

Moves
06 Feb 06

Anyways, i'm just curious, at the Marshall club which I think you said you go to, do you play blitz game with 5 min each? Have you ever tried you hand at the long timer games? It would be so much fun espec ...[text shortened]... some of the report now and then and it sounds wonderfull. I see they also got nice prizes 🙂
I used to play 30 min games at the marshall.
Almost never play 5 min games there.
Im going to try to get back into slower OTB games. Just play too much garbage chess on the net

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Feb 06

I used to play 30 min games at the marshall.
Almost never play 5 min games there.
Im going to try to get back into slower OTB games. Just play too much garbage chess on the net
Cool, You get to play against any Gm's there?

PC

Moves
06 Feb 06

http://tigerchess.nigeldavies.net/Artic008.htm

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
06 Feb 06

Oh my! what huge words from a little boy...
Im only disrespecting the ones who start in on me. Worm....
here you go again, throwing wild accusations about my criminal past and multiple accounts?!? very mature. and for the record, my last post was the first one in which I said anything negative about you. that was after several hostile posts from you. you're the one who flipped and started attacking when I merely observed your stats and graph. the numbers are there for everybody to see, disagreeing with them just makes you look stupid.

grow up.