1. timed out again
    Moves
    23 May '10 17:45
    This looks like the "cheating detection" http://forum1.chesscube.com/forum/posts/list/1679.page

Opening a browser during a game or starting up itunes will get you characterised as a cheat. The "cheating detection" is a farce, people play while working, listening to music or surfing the net. If he was starting up Fritz or had an actual engine running then that is another matter but just starting up Firefox or IE?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 May '10 20:38
    Originally posted by enrico20
    This looks like the "cheating detection" http://forum1.chesscube.com/forum/posts/list/1679.page

Opening a browser during a game or starting up itunes will get you characterised as a cheat. The "cheating detection" is a farce, people play while working, listening to music or surfing the net. If he was starting up Fritz or had an actual engine running then that is another matter but just starting up Firefox or IE?
    I wouldn't want any site I log in on to be able to tell exactly what other things I have open. ChessCube users are warned in advance so they should know not to switch during games. Their strategy dissuades the most common and lazy type of cheat on their site and should be supported. Good for them.
  3. timed out again
    Moves
    23 May '10 21:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I wouldn't want any site I log in on to be able to tell exactly what other things I have open. ChessCube users are warned in advance so they should know not to switch during games. Their strategy dissuades the most common and lazy type of cheat on their site and should be supported. Good for them.
    That is pure silliness from Chess Cube. Task-switching is not cheating if you are reading the news on Firefox or working. The guys at ICC do not ban you for that neither do those anywhere else. I'm willing to bet that Chess Cube do not have any kind of actual cheating detection and will just drive guys to the proper chess servers.

I wonder how they managed to get $1.8m of investment and not come up with coherent technology?
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 May '10 22:051 edit
    Task-switching is not cheating if you are reading the news on Firefox or working.
    Agreed, but since it's impossible to differentiate between innocent and guilty task switching, their policy is to not allow it frequently.

The other option is to allow task switching and hence make cheating easier. And members are free to decide what is most important to them when choosing a site to join.

Edit: compare that some top level tournaments disallow players having mobile phones in their possession. But you might say "phoning my mother is not cheating". Again, to make cheating harder they have to compromise other innocent activities.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 May '10 22:13
    The guys at ICC do not ban you for that neither do those anywhere else.
    I don't know about ICC, but Playchess hasn't allowed excessive taskswitching for years.
  6. timed out again
    Moves
    24 May '10 08:001 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I don't know about ICC, but Playchess hasn't allowed excessive taskswitching for years.
    That isn't true. I played couple of games over the weekend 5-10 mins and was reading the news because some of my opponents were taking too long even in the opening. I was switching back and forth between the news and the playchess and did not get into any trouble. If that was chess cube then I would have been in trouble like the guy in the post.

Playchess/ICC can differentiate between task switching and actual cheating. Chess Cube can't.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 May '10 11:08
    That isn't true. I played couple of games over the weekend 5-10 mins and was reading the news because some of my opponents were taking too long even in the opening. I was switching back and forth between the news and the playchess and did not get into any trouble. If that was chess cube then I would have been in trouble like the guy in the post.

Playchess/ICC can differentiate between task switching and actual cheating. Chess Cube can't.
    Please note that I said "excessive" task switching. Although Playchess doesn't advertise the details, I think they give you around 4 or 5 task switches per game before they start flagging you. If you watch the general chat channel, you'll periodically see some poor soul get "lit up" with what's affectionately termed the "red carpet treatment" (A warning in general chat in red text).

It's funny, some people get the warning and don't even realize that it was directed at them.

I will say that I've heard a few people claim that they've never been flagged for heavy taskswitching, but most people will get caught eventually. (The pleading and arguing that goes on with the Sysops makes for good entertainment.) Why a select few seem to be immune from getting caught is one of those Playchess mysteries.
  8. timed out again
    Moves
    24 May '10 12:21
    Please note that I said "excessive" task switching. Although Playchess doesn't advertise the details, I think they give you around 4 or 5 task switches per game before they start flagging you. If you watch the general chat channel, you'll periodically see some poor soul get "lit up" with what's affectionately termed the "red carpet treatment" (A warning in ...[text shortened]... lect few seem to be immune from getting caught is one of those Playchess mysteries.
    My trial is almost coming to an end on Playchess but I'll try up to 50 switches between Firefox and the playchess client in a game later today. I will copy the chat and see any such warnings, if any exist.

The only warnings I see is the red letter that so and so has been caught using computer assistance and had their rating deleted. Note the word computer assistance not task switching.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 May '10 12:57
    My trial is almost coming to an end on Playchess but I'll try up to 50 switches between Firefox and the playchess client in a game later today. I will copy the chat and see any such warnings, if any exist.

The only warnings I see is the red letter that so and so has been caught using computer assistance and had their rating deleted. Note the word computer assistance not task switching.
    I don't think the red warnings mention task switching specifically. That would be too direct. For some reason, Playchess often prefers the indirect and obfuscated approach. 🙂

Even if the cause is only innocent task switching, Playchess lumps it all under the category of "computer assistance", which only makes the moaning and arguing more intense.

When flagged for task switching, at first they only delete your rating. But if you continue to get flagged, the sanctions eventually intensify.
  10. timed out again
    Moves
    24 May '10 17:01
    I don't think the red warnings mention task switching specifically. That would be too direct. For some reason, Playchess often prefers the indirect and obfuscated approach. 🙂

Even if the cause is only innocent task switching, Playchess lumps it all under the category of "computer assistance", which only makes the moaning and arguing more intense.

Whe ...[text shortened]... y delete your rating. But if you continue to get flagged, the sanctions eventually intensify.
    I don't want to accuse you of lying but I have just played several games from 10-16 minutes and task-switched between firefox, playchess and Microsoft Word for nearly 100 times each game. No warnings on the chat and nothing in my inbox and nothing emailed to me.

I even had time to read Kamsky demolishing Christiansen below

Before I accuse you of lying can you log on to playchess and task-switch and then show us the warning messages? I'm logged on so I can tell if you are lying.
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 May '10 17:50
    I have never heard of this ChessCube. However, if they offer cash prizes then I'll bet cheating is rampant! There are cheats on this site even tho no money is involved. (Some people have very low self-esteem.) Altho, I will say, most people on this site are honest and don't cheat. One reason I play here is because the incentive to cheat is so low and thus few do it. I'm glad no money is offered here. If money is offered then I would expect extremely draconian efforts to protect the honest people. If you don't like it then get off that site and if you need to cheat then get off this site.
  12. timed out again
    Moves
    25 May '10 07:33
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I have never heard of this ChessCube. However, if they offer cash prizes then I'll bet cheating is rampant! There are cheats on this site even tho no money is involved. (Some people have very low self-esteem.) Altho, I will say, most people on this site are honest and don't cheat. One reason I play here is because the incentive to cheat is so low and th ...[text shortened]... If you don't like it then get off that site and if you need to cheat then get off this site.
    Don't get me wrong I'm all up for proper counter-cheating measures but what Chess Cube appear to be doing is no more than a marketing trick to boost its membership. There doesn't appear to be any mention of cash prizes anywhere nor can one see who the top players on the site are.

I had never heard of Chess Cube before but even this "new spin" wouldn't persuade me to be playing there. Good luck to those who play there, just don't fool yourself that the cheating measure they claim to have put in are proper "cheating measures". Might be a false sense of security.

After-all citizens all over the world are now "safer" from terrorism as a result of the counter-terrorism measures (many of which are really erosion of civil liberties).
  13. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    25 May '10 12:24
    I went to Chess Cube to see what all the fuss is about and saw a message flashing some guy had checkmated the other in 15 minutes

[pgn][Event "ChessCube Game"] [Site "www.chesscube.com"] [Date "2010.05.23"] [Round "-"] [White "fatou7y@chesscube.com"] [Black "sarmino@chesscube.com"] [Result "0-1"] [WhiteElo "1075"] [BlackElo "1083"] [Time "15:00"] [TimeCo ...[text shortened]... Nxf4+ 24. Rxd3 Nxd3 25. Rxb7 Rfe8 26. d6 Re1# 0-1[/pgn]

Good grief!
    Too bad white had ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE TO PLAY QH5+ (S)he may have won!
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 May '10 13:08
    I don't want to accuse you of lying but I have just played several games from 10-16 minutes and task-switched between firefox, playchess and Microsoft Word for nearly 100 times each game. No warnings on the chat and nothing in my inbox and nothing emailed to me.
    Rated or unrated games? I'm not sure, but they may not bother flagging unrated games.

And that's okay, you can accuse me of lying if it makes you feel better. I won't lose any sleep over it. 🙂
  15. timed out again
    Moves
    25 May '10 14:03
    Rated or unrated games? I'm not sure, but they may not bother flagging unrated games.

And that's okay, you can accuse me of lying if it makes you feel better. I won't lose any sleep over it. 🙂
    All Rated games. Playchess don't flag for task-switching in rated games that is a blatant lie, unless you can provide hard evidence to the contrary.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree