1. Standard memberTEXASmade
    President of Texas
    My Ranch
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:06
    Do any of you come from families that have always played chess? Nobody in my family even knew how the pieces moved until I started a little while back and I was wonderin if I was alone in this...
  2. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by TEXASmade
    Do any of you come from families that have always played chess? Nobody in my family even knew how the pieces moved until I started a little while back and I was wonderin if I was alone in this...
    none of my family played that much and i learned the rules by playing against my computer as a child of about 10 or 11, but then i think my rating shows that i have had very little help with my game lol (less than 1400 for a 31yo aint too hot lol)
  3. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:31
    Originally posted by TEXASmade
    No-one at all in my family plays. My little sister and i played a few games many years ago.
    My fiance was an A-player from Ecuador, but doesnt play anymore.
    Seems to me, that some strong players i knew, had a father who was a master, and was seemingly easier for them to get to a respectible level themselves.
  4. Lavaltrie
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:37
    My parents play chess against each other and they teached me the game when I was 5 years old. The funny thing about them is that although they played chess for 30 years, I beat them since I'm 9 years old. :0) I guess some people cannot improve their chess. I also play against my cousins each time I see them.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:40
    Originally posted by PoorOldTom
    My parents play chess against each other and they teached me the game when I was 5 years old. The funny thing about them is that although they played chess for 30 years, I beat them since I'm 9 years old. :0) I guess some people cannot improve their chess. I also play against my cousins each time I see them.
    Did they teach you english too?
  6. Standard memberTEXASmade
    President of Texas
    My Ranch
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:43
    Originally posted by PoorOldTom
    lol, SINCE YOU WERE 9!! The only other person in my family that plays chess is my little cousin that lives in california. he's a little freakin genius!! He knew his ABC's by the time he was 2 and was doin large multiplication and division problems by the time he was 5...im afraid to play him, lol...if he sticks with it he'll be one awesome chess player
  7. USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:58
    Though both my sisters knew half knew how to play chess, only my dad taught me and actively played with me. I could beat him by the time I was 11.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 21:49
    Nobody in my family has ever played chess.I only have 3 friends who play and actually only 1 cause the other 2 more or less quit the game.
    I learned together with a friend from one of those cheap plastic sets you can buy in toystores.Those contain a paper explaining the moves of the pieces and the most basic rules.
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 22:00
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Did they teach you english too?
    ROFL ROFL ROFL

You get a box of cookies for that one. ("teached" isn't a word btw)

I had to learn chess from the instructions that came with the board when I was seven. I didn't however, learn to play well until I was 15... (aka last year)
  10. washington
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 22:40
    my dad tought me to play chess but nobody else in my family liked it besides him and I. speaking of a 9 year old beating their parents i played a 12 year old the other day and was dominating him until i made a dumb trade. he was rated 1670 by the way. hes won state so many times its crazy. he may not have been twelve but he looked 10 to 12 to me.
  11. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 22:46
    I learned when I was lke 5, but only started really playing and trying to improve since a year ago. I didnt beat my Dad until I was like 14 or 15 haha.
  12. washington
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 22:54
    i didn't beat my dad till i was 17 lol now he can't touch me. i've been playing seriously for about a year.
  13. Ohio
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 02:23
    i beat my dad when i was 8 but he was only like a mid 1200

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree