1. Big D
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 15:10
    Two well-known New York hustlers were the Soviet IM V. Zilberstein (beat Tal in a Soviet championship) and GM Roman Dzindzichashvili. Zilberstein was known as the "sheriff" because he wore a cowboy hat and a funny vest with lots of flair, including a tin sheriff’s badge. He was so good that all the other hustlers reserved the top board in the park for him. The table would remain open until he arrived and took his usual place. In fact, he was unbeatable until the day Dzindzichashvil showed up. After losing to Roman several times, Valeri disappeared from the park and was never seen there again.
  2. Standard memberBriscoe
    Consigliere
    Ontario, Canada
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 15:17
    a shopping mall in Cambridge, ON has a life-sized chess board (where the pieces are about 1 or 2 feet tall), and in the food court, players play all day long...ALWAYS about 10 games going on
  3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 17:231 edit
    Originally posted by kmac27
    nice. honestly if you had a fide rating of that high you could pretty much make a living playing chess if you could find enough people to woop on. lol ur friend play on rhp?
    no he doesnt, i tried to get him to, but he doesnt do correspondance, maybe one day ill be able to convince him though, he does get most his money from chess tho, not hustling but teaching, he make a fair amount when he goes to the parks tho
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 17:45
    Originally posted by kmac27
    who would have time to watch it? but i know what you mean. i'm suprised bowling is even on espn. thats hella boring.
    That's what I mean. With other activities people pay money to wacth. Chess isn't one of them hence chess players are poor compared to other players.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 17:49
    Originally posted by Briscoe
    a shopping mall in Cambridge, ON has a life-sized chess board (where the pieces are about 1 or 2 feet tall), and in the food court, players play all day long...ALWAYS about 10 games going on
    We have one of those too in our food court. I never seen anyone play a game with them though. Pieces are bigger though, 2 ft and up. Maybe once a year or something they do play a game but I'm never there to watch. Or maybe it's just for show now days.
  6. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 18:41
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Gm's hustling people for money. Chess isn't a rich sport. Lots of top players are very poor. They have great stories in this chess book. I can't remember the name but I was waiting for someone at our club and started reading it. It's mostly chess stories and less chess. You feel sorry for some of these people barely getting by. Sometimes, it's just not worth it. Better to get a real job then make a living of chess.
    Yes, that's why when I reached 1600+ with the Lev Alburt course (strong enough to destroy those handheld Radioshack computers every time) I started to realize what the next step was, and I didn't think the amount of time and energy was worth it to shoot for 2000. 1800, sure, but - for me - not 2000. Anyway, I can see why these guys are poor. It's sad to dedicate your every second to something and never have it pay off. I guess that's why monks no longer play chess. Who was that monk who was really good at chess and quit? There's an opening named after him.
  7. USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 00:44
    Ruy Lopez? I don't know if he quit, I do believe he was a priest.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 00:46
    Back to my story. The IM got offered 20,000 in that countries currency to throw the game. It turned out to be $5 US. He didn't accept it but in that country 20,000 was a reasonable amount of money.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 01:07
    You can go to alot of different parks in New York City (Central Park and Bryant Park are too nice parks where you can watch and feel safe. It is sort of like the barber shop scene in Coming to America. It is all about hustling people and talking trash. I would never play but I enjoy watching people play
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 13:26
    😛😛😛
  11. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 00:17
    Originally posted by powershaker
    ... Anyway, I can see why these guys are poor. It's sad to dedicate your every second to something and never have it pay off. I guess that's why monks no longer play chess. Who was that monk who was really good at chess and quit? There's an opening named after him.
    I think that only the first 20-25 top chess players can make their living as full time chess players
    that is only the players above 2650 elo might be able to get a good living by playing chess
    I may be wrong, I don't know

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree