1. washington
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 03:15
    i saw searching for bobby fischer when i was like 10 or 11. i'm wondering. how many parks actually have people playing chess? because i never see chess boards or people playing chess at parks. also do people at parks play for money? maybe its just because i live in washington and its a boring state. ne info? thanks
  2. USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 03:27
    Last year I went to New York City. There actually are chess hustlers who live in the park there. They generally play for about 3 to 5 bucks a game, and they play at the most 5 minutes. When I played with them that day (and got crushed, losing a couple dollars too), I saw about 20 there. Also heard about there being some in Atlanta too.
  3. washington
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 03:29
    i knew new york had some. u know what their ratings might have been? if i was good enough i'd hussle chess. lol
  4. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 03:341 edit
    Chicago has some, i have a friend who hustles, its quite funny because his fide is 2239 and he acts all timid and uncertain when he plays and doesnt play that sharp out of the opening so the opponent gets a small advantage and then he thinks that he lost because my friend just got lucky.....
  5. washington
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 03:39
    nice. honestly if you had a fide rating of that high you could pretty much make a living playing chess if you could find enough people to woop on. lol ur friend play on rhp?
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 04:15
    Gm's hustling people for money. Chess isn't a rich sport. Lots of top players are very poor. They have great stories in this chess book. I can't remember the name but I was waiting for someone at our club and started reading it. It's mostly chess stories and less chess. You feel sorry for some of these people barely getting by. Sometimes, it's just not worth it. Better to get a real job then make a living of chess.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 04:181 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Gm's hustling people for money. Chess isn't a rich sport. Lots of top players are very poor. They have great stories in this chess book. I can't remember the name but I was waiting for someone at our club and started reading it. It's mostly chess stories and less chess. You feel sorry for some of these people barely getting by. Sometimes, it's just not worth it. Better to get a real job then make a living of chess.
    2010 Chess Oddities by Alex Dunn or something along that order?
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 04:231 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    2010 Chess Oddities by Alex Dunn or something along that order?
    I know the book was a 2005 one. It was pretty fat 500 pages or so, hard cover, White, looked expensive 50+ dollars.

The stories in there were great though. I read one about an american IM going to a tournment over seas and they messed up the payment and basically lied to him about paying him to show up. It was the final round and he couldn't make the GM norms but his opponent could. Several hours before the match he heard a knocking. He open the door and his opponent told him the situation that he need to win the game to get the Gm norm and offered him some money to throw the game. YES this goes on in real chess!! Even at the highest level. 😠 My fav. Anand done it also, pre arranged draw, dumbest game ever! 🙁

Guess how much the American Im got offered to throw the game?
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 04:25
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I know the book was a 2005 one. It was pretty fat 500 pages or so, hard cover, White, looked expensive 50+ dollars.

The stories in there were great though. I read one about an american IM going to a tournment over seas and they messed up the payment and basically lied to him about paying him to show up. It was the final round and he couldn't make the GM no ...[text shortened]... S this goes on in real chess!!

Guess how much the American Im got offered to throw the game?
    the 2010 stands for the amount of stories, diagrams, and problems.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 04:30
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    the 2010 stands for the amount of stories, diagrams, and problems.
    O well this book didn't have many diagrams or problems or chess.

It was just stories about chess players.
  11. washington
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 04:34
    yea chess isn't a high payd sport unless your the best. i guess it did a long time ago when things didn't cost as much. if you ever want to get good at a game and make a living playing it your best bet is probably poker. its easy to learn but takes a while to get good. ne one can win thats whats fun about that. as for chess players i dont understand how a tougher sport pays less than an easy one.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 05:43
    Originally posted by kmac27
    yea chess isn't a high payd sport unless your the best. i guess it did a long time ago when things didn't cost as much. if you ever want to get good at a game and make a living playing it your best bet is probably poker. its easy to learn but takes a while to get good. ne one can win thats whats fun about that. as for chess players i dont understand how a tougher sport pays less than an easy one.
    Publicity. How many people would pay to watch chess? With Man vs Machine games a lot of new interest has been sparked and lots of people are seeing chess in a new light.

It's hard to watch 2 player go at it for 6 hours on Tv. Who would seriously pay money to watch that on a daily basis.
  13. washington
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 13:13
    who would have time to watch it? but i know what you mean. i'm suprised bowling is even on espn. thats hella boring.
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 13:25
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    Chicago has some, i have a friend who hustles, its quite funny because his fide is 2239 and he acts all timid and uncertain when he plays and doesnt play that sharp out of the opening so the opponent gets a small advantage and then he thinks that he lost because my friend just got lucky.....
    Only a fool plays chess in a park for money. The upside? $5. The downside? Your wallet.
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 14:29
    I read about Lasker coming across a player and playing him for money, but that was back then. Today it might get you in trouble with law. Also there was less money for chess players. Too bad that lack of funds cost Rubinstein a chance to be the Champion. Lasker did what he had to do for the better of pro chess players? Today pro chess players have it alot better then past players had it. They can thank Lasker and Fischer for alot of what they have today? World Wars 1 and 2 hurt chess players alot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree