1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 20:001 edit
    I created a thread couple of months ago on this subject. Got some opinions, stated my opinion etc...

Well over a month after I don't feel anything really. Haven't played chess in over a month. My last chess game I played was on Rhp 41 days ago. I didn't renew my OTB membership, haven't read chess books, seen lectures and just to show you how serious this is:

I even missed a free lecture by Canadian GM Pascal C who defeat Anand. He came to Edmonton and the lecture was about his experience and he went over this game against Anand.

Serious hey?

So yes I can leave Chess, I think anyone can. As for playing it again. Not sure yet. I don't have that passion anymore.

Why did I stop playing chess? I know exactly why now. Cable TV.

And from my previous threads and my games, you can tell that I take my chess very very very seriously!!! Check my blog if you don't believe me.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 20:04
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I created a thread couple of months ago on this subject. Got some opinions, stated my opinion etc...

Well over a month after I don't feel anything really. Haven't played chess in over a month. My last chess game I played was on Rhp 41 days ago. I didn't renew my OTB membership, haven't read chess books, seen lectures and just to show you how serious this i ...[text shortened]... ll that I take my chess very very very seriously!!! Check my blog if you don't believe me.
    Why don't you just play a game? πŸ™„
  3. washington
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 20:14
    thats funny how you left chess for cable tv because i pretty much left cable tv for chess. rahim you probably took the game too seriously and lost sight of the point of the game TO HAVE FUN!!!! thats happened to me with sports just take some time off and then play a game and have fun dont look at it like you have to get better or to win.
  4. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 20:171 edit
    Haven't played chess in over a month.
    So yes I can leave Chess, I think anyone can. As for playing it again. Not sure yet. I don't have that passion anymore.
    Why did I stop playing chess? I know exactly why now. Cable TV.
    And from my previous threads and my games, you can tell that I take my chess very very very seriously!!! Check my blog if you don't believe me.
    I'm sure one day you'll be bitten by the dreaded chess bug. To me, the excitement of chess is found in the competitive nature of chess (particularly the tournament atmosphere, which online chess does not adequately simulate), the thrill of finding a brilliant move, and learning from your mistakes. I also enjoy the social oppportunties of chess - when I am able to talk with my opponent - (and I've only ever played against 2 girls OTB :'() .

You have to rediscover that thrill. What makes you enjoy chess?

Perhaps it's better to abstain completely from chess. You could be doing something useful! Or some other leisure activity. Scrabble used to be my other game addiction. (I still never finished reading the Scrabble dictionary, over 100,000 words😞)

Cable TV stopped you from playing chess? 😠 Puh-leeze. πŸ˜‰
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:13
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Why don't you just play a game? πŸ™„
    Why would I play if I'm not interest in playing?

Playing when you are not in the right state of mind cause you to play poorly and risk the outcome of your game and your rating. I worked hard to get my rating on here and i'm not jeapordizing it. Plus I don't feel like playing.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:15
    Originally posted by kmac27
    thats funny how you left chess for cable tv because i pretty much left cable tv for chess. rahim you probably took the game too seriously and lost sight of the point of the game TO HAVE FUN!!!! thats happened to me with sports just take some time off and then play a game and have fun dont look at it like you have to get better or to win.
    I take chess seriously. Sure it's fun but I need to see improvement.

Look at my Rhp rating. The first was me messing around not caring. The second part with the big rise is me playing "Chess seriously". My OTB rating has also shot up to it's new high.

No point in playing and not improving.
  7. Standard memberTanuki
    Tonkatsu...yum
    Imabari, Japan
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:19
    I am curious...why are you posting here if you are not interested? Are you waiting for encouragement to get back into it or are you expounding the virtues of your new cable hobby?? Just curious, because I can't see the point of your post...
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:21
    Originally posted by Yuga
    I'm sure one day you'll be bitten by the dreaded chess bug. To me, the excitement of chess is found in the competitive nature of chess (particularly the tournament atmosphere, which online chess does not adequately simulate), the thrill of finding a brilliant move, and learning from your mistakes. I also enjoy the social oppportunties of chess - when I am abl ...[text shortened]... ionary, over 100,000 words😞)

Cable TV stopped you from playing chess? 😠 Puh-leeze. πŸ˜‰
    Brief story for you.

Born in Kenya, Africa. You get 2 channels. They are only at certain times of the day and certain days. Say M-F 8 am to 10 pm and S 1 pm to 11 pm.

Moved here when I was 8, has full cable. Wow, so many channels. I'm so lucky watch lots of Tv. Mom gets rid of cable tv for 16 years. Several months ago we got a great deal on cable for several months. So after coming home from work or school why spend time and effort playing chess when you could be watching cool tv shows and relaxing?

But honestly I think we will get rid of cable very soon probably after the world cup and then will see how I feel about chess.

But for now, I excaped from the curse of chess. Yes it's a curse! You all know it is, at least those of you who take it seriously like I do.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:21
    Originally posted by Tanuki
    I am curious...why are you posting here if you are not interested? Are you waiting for encouragement to get back into it or are you expounding the virtues of your new cable hobby?? Just curious, because I can't see the point of your post...
    This happens to people all the time. Myself included, it took me 10 months and a school chess club to renew my interest. However, I've been back in the game about 5 months and play EVERY day.
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:27
    While I completely agree with your point, I must admit, I have more fun when I'm winning.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:28
    Originally posted by Tanuki
    Ah, someone said in another post that:

Sure your trying to get away from chess but will the chess lady let you go?

Something similar to that.

Just saying you can get away from it if you want. I never thought I would be able to. I spent 3+ hours on studying chess everday for over 2 years. Not playing but studying and then add the time I spent playing chess. That's serious commitment and you can tell I took chess seriously.
  12. Standard memberEnigmaticCam
    Chess n00b
    Cali
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:45
    RahimK, you've been a big help to a lof of us here; you will be missed. Good luck with your other endeavors πŸ™‚
  13. Garner, NC
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 21:47
    Ah, someone said in another post that:

Sure your trying to get away from chess but will the chess lady let you go?

Something similar to that.

Just saying you can get away from it if you want. I never thought I would be able to. I spent 3+ hours on studying chess everday for over 2 years. Not playing but studying and then add the time I spent playing chess. That's serious commitment and you can tell I took chess seriously.
    Hello my friend.

I was playing a correspondence game in 2002 and got in a game in which I was taking multiple hours for a few of the moves, all to get a draw. Although I enjoyed the game and didn't begrudge having to settle for a draw, I walked away without interest in playing anymore. I went probably two years without playing a single game, and only late last year began playing anything more serious than a few kids I know.

I began enjoying myself again on RHP (plus a few other venues).

Sometimes it is tempting to think we have a character flaw if we are not the best chess player we could possibly be. But that's not the case. Almost anyone could be better at chess if they make sacrifices in other areas, but often times it is the better choise to not sacrifice those other areas.

Few of us can make a living at chess, so there is really no reason to play unless it is fun. Don't sweat it, but you are young enough that you will almost certainly catch the fever again at some point.
  14. washington
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 22:00
    hey rahim why not poker its challenging as chess is and easier to master. plus its something other than chess that has its ups and downs.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 05:47
    hey rahim why not poker its challenging as chess is and easier to master
    so, so naive. i've played chess for nearly a year now and poker for about 5 (although i haven't played much this year, lost interest a bit) both are very hard games and equally hard to master, actually maybe poker is a little harder, as you have about 9 other people at your table that you have to figure out how they, chess only 1, plus in multi table tourneys which can last over 12 hours with only about an hours break in-between your table is constantly being changed. theres so many things you have to be aware of while playing, and then theres online poker, a completely different game with pretty much no tells, all you have to judge players in there betting pattern, its also hard to keep you concentration while playing online. also as you get better the amounts of money your playing for will go up loads, can you play with the pressure?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree