1. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 00:52
    What do you guys do? I'm pretty busy to do any hardcore studying so I'm getting an instructor on ICC for 15$ an hour (babysitting should pay for it).

Are books just as effective but cheaper? Let's clear this up
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 01:091 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    What do you guys do? I'm pretty busy to do any hardcore studying so I'm getting an instructor on ICC for 15$ an hour (babysitting should pay for it).

Nothing will improve your chess more than having a competent chess instructor help you to analyze your games. Tell your instructor the reasons why you played a certain move and have him tell you if your reasoning was sound or not.

Basic mates and endgames you can study on your own from a textbook, but only a good teacher can analyze your thought processes.

The first ever World Correspondence Champion, IM C.J.S Purdy, said that an "infalliable way to improve your chess" is to study well-annotated master games. A great book to start with is "Logical Chess: Move by Move" by Irving Chernev.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 01:15
    tactics, tactics, tactics. free, fun and effective.

http://chess.emrald.net/
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 01:18
    Originally posted by wormwood

YES! Almost all games at sub-expert level are decided by tactical lapses. Having said that, tactics tend arise out of good positions, so you need to have good positional judgement in order to create positions where tactical opportunites abound.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 01:25

This chess tactics site is quite simply the best chess resource on the internet. I practice for an hour the night before all my league games.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 01:331 edit

Or free, fun (just keeping that to make three f's) and frustrating. 😞 I either mess it up half of the time, or I take so much time that I lose points even if I get it right.

Edit: But I guess if I would do it daily instead of about once a month, it would actually help. I'd just have to break the vicious circle - it's frustrating because I am doing so badly, so I am not motivated to use it more, so I don't get better.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 02:09
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Or free, fun (just keeping that to make three f's) and frustrating. 😞 I either mess it up half of the time, or I take so much time that I lose points even if I get it right.

Edit: But I guess if I would do it daily instead of about once a month, it would actually help. I'd just have to break the vicious circle - it's frustrating because I am doing so badly, so I am not motivated to use it more, so I don't get better.
    the trick is to do them slowly enough to get most of them right. as your rating decreases, the server will adjust the difficulty of the problems served until you find your level. then you just work your way up, one point at a time.

the initial 1500 rating is very high. many 1800-1900 here score only in the 1400's, and even GMs and IMs score only 1800-2000. a finnish 2150 fide guy scored only 1590. so no need to be discouraged if you score low. 🙂
  8. back in business
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 06:32
    a finnish 2150 fide guy scored only 1590. so no need to be discouraged if you score low. 🙂
    really? who?

you can PM if you want.
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 06:44
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7

What level of player does 15$ get you on ICC? FM?
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 10:30
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    This chess tactics site is quite simply the best chess resource on the internet. I practice for an hour the night before all my league games.
    No wonder your rating is much higher than mine.

I rarely practice tactics (sorry, I should correct that, as other than the odd puzzle in the paper or BCM I never practice tactics. Perhaps that explains my many (often elementary) tactical lapses that cost me games and rating points.

I'm not saying you should not do it to improve. The advice is correct, you should study tactics - I just wonder where I would be if I put in that sort of effort.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 12:52
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    really? who?

you can PM if you want.
    I will, he states his real name on his icc profile, so I don't think it's a secret. but just in case... maybe you've played against him?
  12. back in business
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 13:01
    thanks. I know him only by name. havent met him.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 13:191 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    No wonder your rating is much higher than mine.

I rarely practice tactics (sorry, I should correct that, as other than the odd puzzle in the paper or BCM I [b]never
    practice tactics. Perhaps that explains my many (often elementary) tactical lapses that cost me games and rating points.

I'm not saying you should not do it to improve. The advice i ...[text shortened]... ect, you should study tactics - I just wonder where I would be if I put in that sort of effort.[/b]
    I really enjoy doing the tactics so I don't find it too difficult. I always log in as a guest user as I don't want to become preoccupied with my rating there. If I get a good start I can sometimes remain above 1700 for a while, but I always fall back to between 1500 and 1600 by the end of the session.

Edit - I forgot to clarify that by "league games" I meant over-the-board league games, which means just ten games or so a season.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 21:34
    the trick is to do them slowly enough to get most of them right. as your rating decreases, the server will adjust the difficulty of the problems served until you find your level. then you just work your way up, one point at a time.

the initial 1500 rating is very high. many 1800-1900 here score only in the 1400's, and even GMs and IMs score only 1 ...[text shortened]... 00. a finnish 2150 fide guy scored only 1590. so no need to be discouraged if you score low. 🙂
    The problem is that I won't get as challenging tactical problems as I would like, because I can't solve those immediately, and if I don't solve the problems before I have even had the chance to see the whole board (not to speak of looking for threats my opponent might have - luckily there usually aren't any, but that makes the whole thing rather unrealistic), my rating drops, and I get less challenging problems (which I still can't solve fast enough). I think working on solving tactical problems fast may be useful because it probably helps to develop pattern recognition, but the allowed time is just way too short for me. It would be nice if you could set the difficulty yourself, so that you could try more difficult problems even if your rating is low. What I do now is that I log in as a guest, so that I at least start with more difficult problems, before my rating drops to 1200-1300.

One thing which makes the whole thing a little less hectic is ticking the box "Break on success" before you start, and update the settings. That has made the experience a lot more tolerable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree