Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    15 Mar '07 18:47
    I hear people on here talking about begginers and advanced chess players etc. etc... but what's the general consensus on what constitutes a beginner? My rating is roughly 1400, and I don't consider myself a beginner, but when i look at other 1400 players games, some players look to me to be closer to 1000 or 1100.

    Anyways, this is really just a vote:
    At what rating do you go from beginner to advanced beginner to intermediate to expert? Lookin for opinions more than anything (if u wanna look at my games to get a bit of a benchmark for a 1400 go ahead)
  2. 15 Mar '07 18:59
    I would say in general:

    0-1200 is amatuer
    1200-1600 is average
    1600-2200 is intermediate
    2200-2500 is expert
    2500 and above is master
  3. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    15 Mar '07 19:01
    wow... i thought 2200 in ELO or FIDE or whatever constituted an international master or something (of course, rhp is probably not THAT accurate)
  4. 15 Mar '07 19:01
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    I would say in general:

    0-1200 is amatuer
    1200-1600 is average
    1600-2200 is intermediate
    2200-2500 is expert
    2500 and above is master
    Ooh, intermediate, I feel so proud.
  5. 15 Mar '07 19:01
    Here is the USCF Rating Classification:

    Senior Master above 2399
    Master 2200-2399
    Expert 2000-2199
    Class A 1800-1999
    Class B 1600-1799
    Class C 1400-1599
    Class D 1200-1399
    Class E 1000-1199
    Class F 800- 999
    Class G 600- 799
    Class H 400- 599
    Class I 200- 399
    Class J Under 200

    I'd consider a beginner to be anyone from Class E and under.
  6. Standard member Mathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    15 Mar '07 19:01
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I hear people on here talking about begginers and advanced chess players etc. etc... but what's the general consensus on what constitutes a beginner? My rating is roughly 1400, and I don't consider myself a beginner, but when i look at other 1400 players games, some players look to me to be closer to 1000 or 1100.

    Anyways, this is really just a vote:
    At ...[text shortened]... re than anything (if u wanna look at my games to get a bit of a benchmark for a 1400 go ahead)
    You might find the following link of use, ih8sens...

    http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/bcftable.html#classes

  7. 15 Mar '07 20:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    Here is the USCF Rating Classification:

    Senior Master above 2399
    Master 2200-2399
    Expert 2000-2199
    Class A 1800-1999
    Class B 1600-1799
    Class C 1400-1599
    Class D 1200-1399
    Class E 1000-1199
    Class F 800- 999
    Class G 600- 799
    Class H 400- 599
    Class I 200- 399
    Class J Under 200

    I'd consider a beginner to be anyone from Class E and under.
    And if you are in Class J, perhaps chess isn't your game. Competitively speaking, of course.
  8. 15 Mar '07 20:58
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    And if you are in Class J, perhaps chess isn't your game. Competitively speaking, of course.
    Well, some little kids start down there. A coworker of mine has a child who has a provisional rating of 100, even though they won 1 game in their first tournament - just because all the other players were very lowly rated as well.

    I'd say class E is sort of the borderline of respectability, between being a beginner/unskilled player, and starting up the ladder of having some ability.
  9. 15 Mar '07 20:59
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    Well, some little kids start down there. A coworker of mine has a child who has a provisional rating of 100, even though they won 1 game in their first tournament - just because all the other players were very lowly rated as well.

    I'd say class E is sort of the borderline of respectability, between being a beginner/unskilled player, and starting up the ladder of having some ability.
    Well, there are kids; didn't really consider that. But at that level, it's less competition and more fun. Wouldn't you say?
  10. 15 Mar '07 21:06
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Well, there are kids; didn't really consider that. But at that level, it's less competition and more fun. Wouldn't you say?
    Nope. I was playing properly competitive (team league and cups and individual tournaments) from the age of 7, and it was most definitely competitive.