1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 01:31
    Totally bored, stuck in Toledo for months now, I was eating cheese and meat on bread with a couple of glasses of wine, started fiddling with my cell phone, a Samsung. I found some games and one, "mobile chess" So I fired it up, wondering if it somehow communicated through the cell phone to some central computer and back to my cell for its moves. It had three levels, 'beginner', 'medium' and 'hard'. So I put it on 'hard' and started with e4, naturally. Not knowing what its level was, I was suprised to se d5, center counter game. I am thinking, well this thing has some openings at least. So e4xd5 naturally, Qxp, yep. Then of course, N-c3, attacking the queen. So here is where I find out how strong this program really is. Qxa2, RxQ. We don't really need to go any further than this, you get the picture. So much for cell phone chess!
  2. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 02:33
    I have Chess 2.0 on my LG phone and it's really a good engine and it has many opening books installed all on the phone.

You can choose what opening you want the computer to play with you as well.

http://www.penultimate.com/chess2/
  3. San Francisco
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 04:12
    I have the same chess game on my Samsung, I played the exact opening you did.

To my surprise I discovered that this crappy excuse for a chess game will play these exact same moves every time if you let it.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 04:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Totally bored, stuck in Toledo for months now, I was eating cheese and meat on bread with a couple of glasses of wine, started fiddling with my cell phone, a Samsung. I found some games and one, "mobile chess" So I fired it up, wondering if it somehow communicated through the cell phone to some central computer and back to my cell for its moves. It had thre ...[text shortened]... need to go any further than this, you get the picture. So much for cell phone chess!
    I guess this means the match with Kramnik is off.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:30
    Originally posted by sivart84
    I have the same chess game on my Samsung, I played the exact opening you did.

To my surprise I discovered that this crappy excuse for a chess game will play these exact same moves every time if you let it.
    wow, so on your phone, it took at A2 also?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:32
    Originally posted by briancron
    I have Chess 2.0 on my LG phone and it's really a good engine and it has many opening books installed all on the phone.

You can choose what opening you want the computer to play with you as well.

http://www.penultimate.com/chess2/
    I saw a screen shot on your site, the graphics are better for sure. On the samsung, they try to do this faux 3d board which just makes it harder to see the postion.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:34
    Wow it's amazing what just a mobile phone can do these days.
  8. Joined
    17 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 06:23
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I guess this means the match with Kramnik is off.
    Ha!
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 10:13
    Originally posted by danielkirk1
    Wow it's amazing what just a mobile phone can do these days.
    Is it possible to use it to call someone too? And perhaps actually talk with someone? Wow, then...🙄
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 10:43
    Totally bored, stuck in Toledo for months now, I was eating cheese and meat on bread with a couple of glasses of wine, started fiddling with my cell phone, a Samsung. I found some games and one, "mobile chess" So I fired it up, wondering if it somehow communicated through the cell phone to some central computer and back to my cell for its moves. It had thre ...[text shortened]... need to go any further than this, you get the picture. So much for cell phone chess!
    I was talking to my wife on the phone the other day, and she said she loves me. The blimmin chess programme chimed in with "are you sure?". She hung up on me.
  11. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 18:33
    Originally posted by Orange Peel
    I was talking to my wife on the phone the other day, and she said she loves me. The blimmin chess programme chimed in with "are you sure?". She hung up on me.
    hah!
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 04:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Is it possible to use it to call someone too? And perhaps actually talk with someone? Wow, then...🙄
    Well obviously, otherwise why the hell would you own one? But amazing other than that you can even play chess on it and do alot of other cool things... That was my point.
  13. Jerusalem
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 09:45
    [b]Totally bored...
    just try to download cotopia chess (if u have GPRS connection).
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 15:18
    A quick google turned up these reviews:

http://www.grailmaster.com/misc/chess/comp/Chessphones.htm

I'm getting a RAZR for X-mas (Mrs. Santa said it is under the tree), so I'll be wanting a chess program for it. I'm just starting my search and welcome suggestions.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 15:261 edit
    Originally posted by danielkirk1
    Well obviously, otherwise why the hell would you own one? But amazing other than that you can even play chess on it and do alot of other cool things... That was my point.
    I agree, every cell phone should have the functionality to call other cell phones and even call som older ones with a wire to a wall socket...

But the whole universe of functions of the cell phone of today one wonder sometimes, doesn't one?
    If I told someone twentyfive years ago that in the future people can play chess with a wireless telephone, what would people think of me and imagination? Perhaps I would find myself at the funny farm rather quickly.

Future should be ahead of us, but now we already are in the future...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree