1. Standard memberTarpey
    Wizzard Lv.3
    Coventry, UK
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 09:56
    Any one enjoyed playing chess on their mobile?

I previously used chessbuddy which I rated highly, but I've since upgraded my phone (Ericsson W800i), so I'm now exploring my options again as I don't think it's compatible with my phone anymore.

Any recommendations?
  2. UK
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 10:25
    Originally posted by Tarpey
    Any one enjoyed playing chess on their mobile?

I previously used chessbuddy which I rated highly, but I've since upgraded my phone (Ericsson W800i), so I'm now exploring my options again as I don't think it's compatible with my phone anymore.

Any recommendations?
    Goto www.opera.com and download Opera Mini.
    It's a version of the Opera browser that allows "normal" phones to view real web pages instead of WAP.
    Then you can use RHP right on your W800i.
  3. Standard memberTarpey
    Wizzard Lv.3
    Coventry, UK
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 11:04
    Nice recommendation - the browser is great, although I'll have to do some tweaking to get the board displays right.

Was also thinking of offline chess too - as mobile internet isn't cheap for me.... yet..
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 11:17
    I think there are mobile editions of Chessmaster as well as Mephisto (Saitek) available - configured for Sony Ericcson's. I downloaded the Mephisto ME for £3 (via orange) and it has nine levels. It moves quite quickly within 15 secs or so at the highest levels but is not really very strong - maybe 75-90 BCF. Like all machines it will never overlook if you leave something hanging or your back rank weak. I think they said it has a thousand move opening book - not much in other words.
    It works fine on my W800i and good for a quick game. It is better than chess buddy I think, if only because it moves quicker...
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 14:52
    I have KarpovX3D Chess , similar phonne (SE K600i, also works on SE W810i or so), it has some levels, nice graphic, but low chess level(its best level is good for beginners maybe) 🙁. I bought it for about 5euros but I have the .jar on my PC and I can send it to you if you want to try it.
    If you find out some better chess program for these kind of mobile phones please let me know.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 15:131 edit
    i have chessmaster and if i concentrate i can beat it at top level at any opening really (havnt done them all), and judging by my rating (1450-though if i play well, its like 1650 ish i guess) chessmaster isnt altogether that good. it has aspects missing which make it really weak at certain things
    Edit: this will probably hold true with any mobile chess game. and i think its worth getting it for a few quid
  7. Mumbai,India
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 06:54
    Originally posted by vipiu
    I have KarpovX3D Chess , similar phonne (SE K600i, also works on SE W810i or so), it has some levels, nice graphic, but low chess level(its best level is good for beginners maybe) 🙁. I bought it for about 5euros but I have the .jar on my PC and I can send it to you if you want to try it.
    If you find out some better chess program for these kind of mobile phones please let me know.
    Chess genius is a good engine for Symbian OS phones. (.sys file support)
    It has 20 + playing levels.
    The 1 hr game level is a killer and plays above ELO 2000.
    I have just managed 2 draws in 30 mins a side level.
  8. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 07:28
    I've got more chess programs on my mobile: Chess by Cellufun(preatty weak, but anyway, stronger than Karpov3d) and Chessmaster.

Chessmaster is by far the best one. (on some site I found it ELO rated 1800 at best, but probably it is a bit lower). I use to win against it at the highest level(master) with the biggest time(150sec/move), but anyway it can put up a fight. I like to play against it, because the games are balanced. As I am about 1700+ here, I would estimate it around 1550(+/-70) on RHP.
    It has some other features, like some commented classic games(nice) and also some quiz(very stupid in my oppinion).
  9. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 08:021 edit
    I was searching a lot for a free JAVA chess game for mobile phones (I owe a nokia 6280) and I did not find anything.
    But some days ago I discovered these two:
    http://www.mobile-mir.com/en/chess.php
    http://www.trinimon.de/Chess/ChessGame/Download/download.htm
    perhaps you want to enjoy them!
    If you know any other chess application, let me know.
    Thomas
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 10:521 edit
    I have Chessmaster too. It's pretty good. I generally play at the "Expert" level, which is second to last, and I usually win without thinking much between moves.
  11. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 13:45
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I have Chessmaster too. It's pretty good. I generally play at the "Expert" level, which is second to last, and I usually win without thinking much between moves.
    Chessmaster mobile can't deal with a simple bishop sacrifice against a castled king. On master level, if it responds e5 to my e4, I can mate it in a little over twenty moves.
  12. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 14:59
    Originally posted by Ramiri15
    Chessmaster mobile can't deal with a simple bishop sacrifice against a castled king. On master level, if it responds e5 to my e4, I can mate it in a little over twenty moves.
    Ramiri, try not only to set it at master level, but also set the time for maximum (like 150sec/move). After this try to go into some sharp opened openings that you do not know very well and you will see that this engine is good enough for your strength.
    And I think that also your phone might be important in the process, it is like running the same chess engines on different speed processors...
  13. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 06:38
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Ramiri, try not only to set it at master level, but also set the time for maximum (like 150sec/move). After this try to go into some sharp opened openings that you do not know very well and you will see that this engine is good enough for your strength.
    And I think that also your phone might be important in the process, it is like running the same chess engines on different speed processors...
    When I play I set the time limit at infinite (even on infinite it moves almost right away, I don't know why...), and yes, I do try lines I don't normally use. The point is that Chessmaster mobile is not a very powerful computer program, and even though it is tactically superior to me I can still beat it most of the time using a well placed sac.
  14. Banned from site.
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 10:061 edit
    Originally posted by Tarpey
    although I'll have to do some tweaking to get the board displays right.
    Tweaking? Details please. Can't see a board just the letters a-h followed by 1-8 where the board should be . Nokia 6070
  15. Banned from site.
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 13:33
    So that was with board settings at micro /(standard and also legacy board) . Seems to be a problem with micro setting. Board setting at small/(legacy) enables chess pieces to be seen but the board is fragmented with each board row being displayed in a vertical sequence of rows. Standard/legacy gives a similar display just larger pieces

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree