Chess openings

Chess openings

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
01 Feb 11
2 edits

In your opinion what is the hardest chess opening to learn?

And what is the easiest to learn?

And if you can give reasons why for both, Thanks.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
01 Feb 11

depends on what kind of player you are, and what kind of strengths you have. -some people do great with memorizing massive theory, although most probably don't. some people do well in sharp complex positions, some in solid more positional ones. some excel in equal endgames, etc, etc, etc... it depends.

play openings where you feel most comfortable. take the battle where you're strong, not where you're weak.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
01 Feb 11

IMO the hardest to learn is the sicilian, so many variations, so many traps, so many letters and numbers. The easiest opening to learn, is to push center pawns, develop all your pieces, and take it on your own plan from there. At least you will be playing chess from move one...

Moves
01 Feb 11

Originally posted by RBHILL
In your opinion what is the hardest chess opening to learn?

And what is the easiest to learn?

And if you can give reasons why for both, Thanks.
The hardest to learn are the imbalanced openings (Sicilian, as has been mentioned; but also the Indian complex); the easiest ones are the drawing openings. Play nothing but the Petrov, Four Knights and Vienna from now on and you'll never have to learn another line. You'll also never enjoy chess again.

Richard

s

Moves
01 Feb 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
The hardest to learn are the imbalanced openings (Sicilian, as has been mentioned; but also the Indian complex); the easiest ones are the drawing openings. Play nothing but the Petrov, Four Knights and Vienna from now on and you'll never have to learn another line. You'll also never enjoy chess again.

Richard
Sicilian is by far the hardest. ONe wrong move and, voila, done! Also, if oponent chooses to respond with Smith-Morra Gambit it gets electric and complicated. I find the Gruenfeld very difficult because it leads to huge complications. Another one wrong move and done. All queen pawn openings are more difficult than king pawn openings. I love the Reti, but play it poorly. Easiest by far is Ruy Lopez or the Giuoco Piano.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
01 Feb 11

Depends what colour you are opening with! 😛

Philadelphia

Moves
01 Feb 11

As white I find the Barcza opening really easy to play. You can play the first four moves (nf3, g3, bg2, 0-0) without really needing to look up at what your opponent's doing. The moves are efficient, effective against any response as black, get your king safe, and you can start to develop without any real concerns. I play it a lot at my local club because I like to keep it (real) simple. I'm not sure where it ends and the King's Indian Attack starts but I'm sure someone will point it out.

As black I like the French because I know the general goal is to keep your centre pawns and get rid of white's and so I just play everything around that. Again it's the simplicity of the overall objective that I like.

I haven't tried the Sicilian because all the fancy sounding variations frighten me. Accelerating dragons, mincing tigers, and the budapest daschund spandex variation, it's all a bit much for me.