1. Joined
    27 Oct '11
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 13:57
    Does anyone else suffer from this new malady? Chess Program Abuse Syndrome (CPAS). Here are the symptoms: Late at night at the computer screen with a glass of Scotch (or other favorite intoxicant), set the program (in my case Shredder Classic 4) to a very low rating and then beat it over and over at roughly blitz speed. This is highly addictive (at least to relatively weak players like me) and only for a short time satisfies a sick urge for revenge.
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 15:14
    Originally posted by Votbinnick
    Does anyone else suffer from this new malady? Chess Program Abuse Syndrome (CPAS). Here are the symptoms: Late at night at the computer screen with a glass of Scotch (or other favorite intoxicant), set the program (in my case Shredder Classic 4) to a very low rating and then beat it over and over at roughly blitz speed. This is highly addictive (at le ...[text shortened]... to relatively weak players like me) and only for a short time satisfies a sick urge for revenge.
    ?
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 15:32
    Beating humans is much more satisfying. Getting beat by humans much more enlightening.
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 18:02
    Try to increase a little bit the program ELO....go to the next level!!
    Or change the drink try beer next time
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 18:06
    Does anyone else suffer from this new malady? Chess Program Abuse Syndrome (CPAS). Here are the symptoms: Late at night at the computer screen with a glass of Scotch (or other favorite intoxicant), set the program (in my case Shredder Classic 4) to a very low rating and then beat it over and over at roughly blitz speed. This is highly addictive (at le ...[text shortened]... to relatively weak players like me) and only for a short time satisfies a sick urge for revenge.
    Who is abusing whom here?
  6. Joined
    27 Oct '11
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 19:10
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Who is abusing whom here?
    The human is "abusing" the chess program.
  7. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 22:34
    Equally satisfying is to threaten to pick up the machine and throw it out of the window. You can see it quivering in its little silicon boots. Most enjoyable.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Dec '13 00:09
    The human is "abusing" the chess program.
    That's what I thought at first; but then, I read the word "revenge".
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Dec '13 10:461 edit
    From somebody who's been here for over 2 years and never made a single move, I find the question somewhat obtuse.

-m.
  10. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    06 Dec '13 11:011 edit
    I like Snake's way of dealing with a cocky computer: YouTube

On second thoughts I would have just drunk the whisky 😡
  11. Joined
    27 Oct '11
    Moves
    06 Dec '13 19:21
    Sorry, but it's actually been a lot longer than two years. I haven't played a game online in at least 20 years--back when there were only one or two chess servers. I am trying to cope with a serious and debilitating chess addiction. I am a recovering chessaholic who has just fallen off the wagon due to the world chess championship that I foolishly watched with excitement.
  12. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    06 Dec '13 19:52
    Originally posted by hedonist
    I like Snake's way of dealing with a cocky computer: http://youtu.be/d2R-K0vl94s

On second thoughts I would have just drunk the whisky 😡
    What the heck? That's not checkmate!
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 03:191 edit
    Sorry, but it's actually been a lot longer than two years. I haven't played a game online in at least 20 years--back when there were only one or two chess servers. I am trying to cope with a serious and debilitating chess addiction. I am a recovering chessaholic who has just fallen off the wagon due to the world chess championship that I foolishly watched with excitement.
    Then for your own good, "You're not welcome!" πŸ˜€

-m. πŸ˜‰

Edit: actually, seeing as you admitted you have falled off the wagon, how about back to step 2? :

2. Came to believe that Magnus Carlsen could restore us to sanity.
  14. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 18:41
    You joined this site Oct 2011 and have not played a single game I think you are some sort of douche.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 19:38
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    You joined this site Oct 2011 and have not played a single game I think you are some sort of douche.
    I'd much rather have a 'douche' that hasn't said anything stupid than someone who makes lots of moves and pollutes the forums with drivel.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree