1. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 02:16
    "Now, that's what I'm talking about! That guy has learned something about Chess Psychology that most of you numbnuts don't understand. Although he did not play error free chess, he learned to recognize that it was his own psychological thoughts that was interferring with his game and he overcame them to go on to win the game."

Trying to use psychology in chess to defeat your opponent is just bull - play the position.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 02:28
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    cry
  3. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 03:04
    I prefer to use psychosis is my wins.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 04:44
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You need to find this guy and play him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvzw21_3Hs4

A battle of two great minds!
    That guy is a yutz. I've yet to see one of his games where his opponent didn't blunder his ass off.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 04:541 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    That guy is a yutz. I've yet to see one of his games where his opponent didn't blunder his ass off.
    Your Sarcasm Detector isnt plugged in! 😉
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 05:01
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I, on the other hand ,needed only to find the moves that would keep up the psychological effect until I had the winning position. .
    You should start a new type of Chess Problem;

"Find White's Best Psychological Move"
    or
    "White Psychologically Defeats His Opponent in 3 Moves"
    or
    "Black to Move - What Is He Thinking?"

Ask Swiss Gambit for help (he likes a challenge ... and a laugh)
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 06:111 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Rj how would you feel about adding some comments to this game? Game 9351174 It'd be really interesting to hear a little about the psychological tactics you employed.. 🙂

Or perhaps another RHP game of yours..
    I am not sure I used much psychology in this games you asked about. It seems easier to me to use psychology OTB where you have a continuous game. The clock can become a big factor for or against your psychologically.

I have played kingshill several times before and he has astonished me with his defensive capabilities when I have tried to play the Ruy lopez against him. He favors the Schliemann Defense for some reason. I had been under the impression that it was not the best defense, but he has been able to counter my play and I had felt lucky to get the draws.

Kingshill starts with 1.Nf3 in the other game in this tournament, so I decided to start with 1.Nf3 in this game to see how he would reply to it. After he responded symetrically, I decided to turn it from a Reti opening to a Queen's Pawn opening with 2.d4 and he decides to defend with the King's Indian Defense. I have done research on the King's Indian Defense and have opening books that comment on the moves up to a point. I had played several other games from both sides and felt comfortable that I had enough information and enough experience with it to hold my own through the opening at least. Perhaps there is a little psychology in there.

8. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 07:07
    I am not sure I used much psychology in this games you asked about. It seems easier to me to use psychology OTB where you have a continuous game. The clock can become a big factor for or against your psychologically.

I have played kingshill several times before and he has astonished me with his defensive capabilities when I have tried to play the Ruy lo ...[text shortened]... a8a5 {Bingo! Something has got to give and He resigns} 1-0
    [/pgn]
    Replace the word psychology with engine analysis and the annotations make more sense.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 07:27
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Replace the word psychology with engine analysis and the annotations make more sense.
    Dr. Ronald Hinds is from Canada. He was rated 1989 in the 2000 USCF rating list. He may have a FIDE rating too. Perhaps you could look him up.
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 08:11

I have played kingshill several times before and he has astonished me with his defensive capabilities when I have tried to play the Ruy lo ...[text shortened]... a8a5 {Bingo! Something has got to give and He resigns} 1-0
    [/pgn]
    Sadly, the difficult positional part has (virtually) no annotations. Anyone can look up an opening and get the names of the variations and the ECO code. It's the very part where the game is actually played that you have nothing to say at all.
    It's understandable since the "techinique" involved seems like nothing more than long hard (and seeminlgy very precise) analysis like that of a computer. Anything with strategy or planning, has no comments or ideas listed at all. It's funny because that's where a computer can not help you. It can't give you ideas ... only variations. Why even bother going on?

Sometimes I even wonder if you really know how the knight moves.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 08:21
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Sadly, the difficult positional part has (virtually) no annotations. Anyone can look up an opening and get the names of the variations and the ECO code. It's the very part where the game is actually played that you have nothing to say at all.
    It's understandable since the "techinique" involved seems like nothing more than long hard (and seemi ...[text shortened]... en bother going on?

Sometimes I even wonder if you really know how the knight moves.
    The knight moves like a checker. It jumps over a piece and the piece is removed from the board. So there, smart aleck. 😏
  12. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 08:51
    This chess psychology is all very well... until you come up against an opponent who is wearing a full tin foil body suit. Then your run at the world championships is over.
  13. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 08:54
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Let's give it a go.

"It seems easier to me to use engine analysis OTB where you have a continuous game."

If you can put up with all the looks you'll get for the constant fiddling inside your trousers I think you could pull it off. Oooo matron.
  14. Joined
    16 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 09:01
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You need to find this guy and play him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvzw21_3Hs4

A battle of two great minds!
    Surely this guy IS RJH!
  15. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 11:08
    The only psychology used in a game I've encountered is the abuse of time... perhaps taking several minutes in a blitz game (or in CC's case, days) to make standard or forced moves... throwing the opponent off his/her concentration.

I'm only sayin this cos I lost a game recently due to my impatience (but I am currently returning this "psychology" back to him, by taking as long as i can to simply move out of check)

As for everything RJ is saying..... LOL

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree