22 May '07 18:341 edit
    "War is War, Plonker." - Bowmann, two in one combo
  2. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    22 May '07 18:36
    Originally posted by allostery
    Reuben Fine has some good ones, but Fischer was great for his smack talk:

"My opponents make good moves too. Sometimes I don't take these things into consideration."

"I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like ...[text shortened]... thing."

I love those quotes. Makes him sound like the contender in a heavyweight fight.
    Actually, Bobby was quoted by Time as saying, "All I can do is play chess.....but I do that rather well."
  3. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    22 May '07 18:43
    "It is always better to sacrifice your opponent's men."
    Savielly Tartakower
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 May '07 19:16
    Read an anecdote about Capablanca somewhere. He was in a tournament in the US. A fellow Cuban brings him to the board the former is playing and asks in Spanish, "what would you do in a position like this?"

Capablanca responds in English and with a raised voice, "I would not get into a position like this!"
  5. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    23 May '07 17:30
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    "with 1.e4!, I win." Fischer.
    I thought Rauzer was the guy who came up with that.

Some others (paraphrased because I cant remember them exactly)

"Always place your rook behind the passed pawn, except when it is not correct to do so"- Siegbert Tarrasch (I probably butchered that one)

"The center is the Balkans of the chessboard, fighting can break out there at any time"- Aron Nimzovitch
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 May '07 20:03
    "Say hello to your president. He really surprised us...turned out to be quite a mighty man. He raped 10 women. I never expected it from him. He surprised all of us. We all envy him." - Vladmir Putin

a quote by him when he was playing a game of chess against former israeli president Moshe Katsav.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 May '07 22:133 edits
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    "with 1.e4!, I win." Fischer.

[b]I thought Rauzer was the guy who came up with that.
    you may be right in that, I'm not sure. (I can't get out of bold here. there's a bug or something).
  8. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    23 May '07 22:52
    “When the Chess game is over, the Pawn and
    the King go back to the same box”
    (Irish saying)
  9. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 May '07 00:02
    i will woop you in openings, if you don't make any opening mistakes, i loose

--- Ason pigg2
  10. over there
    Moves
    24 May '07 02:111 edit
    I found this in someone's Playchess profile.

'when a journalist, to mock him, asked Alekhine:" do you prefer most la dame on a chessboard or on your bed?"
    he answered:"it depends on position..."'🙄
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '07 02:12
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    I found this in someone's Playchess profile.

'when a journalist, to mock him, asked Alekhine:" do you prefer most la dame on a chessboard or on your bed?"
    he answered:"it depends on position..."'🙄
    😛 He was pretty witty that guy..
  12. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 May '07 02:53
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Yeah, now if he was only willing to pony up and put his moves where his mouth is. Instead, he hasn't played a professional game since 1972 unless you count the lame match against Spaasky in the 1990s.
    Agreed. Quite ironic considering that Kasparov is now the leader of the Russian opposition, something quite distinct from chess, while Fisher's holed up in Iceland somewhere making random and marginally coherent inflammatory comments against Jewish people. I think the last anyone's heard of him he called a chess TV show to tell them they missed a mate combo. Who's the idiot savant now, eh?
  13. Seattle
    Moves
    24 May '07 04:501 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    "Why must I lose to this idiot?!!!!!"

-Nimzovich
    hehe, like that one, especially in context:
    Nimzovich was playing his name-sake opening in a Berlin tourney, his oponent played the interesting Saemisch Variation. Upon losing that game he jumped onto the talbe shout the quote "Why must I lose to this idiot." Interestingly enough, Saemish was his oponent in that game...who's the idiot now!

I like one I heard at my chess club: "Pawns equal queens." This was said when the teacher asked a 410 why he was so happy with a pawn up position. In the next game, the master won the students queen for 2 pawns and said, "Pawns equal queens, so you must be winning?" hehe, that shut him up.
  14. Sydney
    Moves
    24 May '07 11:04
    My favourite Tal quote
    "I drink, I smoke, I gamble, I chase girls—but postal chess is one vice I don't have."
  15. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    24 May '07 14:55
    I can't remember the exact quote... but its something like, "Take care of your pieces and your pieces will take care of you"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree