1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '07 00:51
    I've seen some absolutely awesome quotes floating around RHP. Anyone want to post a few good ones?

Here's one to start. It's so true.

How does Tal win? He develops all his pieces to the centre and then sacrifices them somewhere. - Bobby Fischer
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 00:58
    "breakin' meh balls! 🙁" -jesse van hine...

a classic is "pawns are the soul of chess"-philidor

not exactly enertaining, but so true and stands the test of time.....
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 01:19
    "All I want to do, ever, is just play chess." - Bobby Fischer.

(A quite ironic quote, in retrospect.)
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 01:37
    “Discovered check is the dive bomber of the chessboard.” - Reuben Fine.
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 01:38
    lol
  6. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 02:30
    Reuben Fine has some good ones, but Fischer was great for his smack talk:

"My opponents make good moves too. Sometimes I don't take these things into consideration."

"I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like an idiot savant, outside of chess he knows nothing."

I love those quotes. Makes him sound like the contender in a heavyweight fight.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 02:52
    Originally posted by allostery

"My opponents make good moves too. Sometimes I don't take these things into consideration."

"I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like ...[text shortened]... thing."

Yeah, if you like trash talk, Fischer's a good source, although I don't much care for trash talk.

Most of the famous quotes I'm familiar with, I saw on "famous quotes" lists, but I actually first stumbled upon Fine's divebomber quote whan I was reading his book, "Chess The Easy Way." It's one of those lines that you tend not to forget.

Here's the full quote from page 112, the section on Discovered Check: "This is one of the most destructive devices that anybody can think up - it is the dive-bomber of the chess board. For the piece which gets out of the way may go anywhere it pleases because it uncovers a check to which the opponent must give his undivided attention. Thus the discovering piece is free to do its darndest: it can capture anything, defended or undefended, occupy any square, guarded or unguarded."
  8. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 03:42
    My favorite has long been: "Chess is the royal waste of time."
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 03:48
    Originally posted by basso
    My favorite has long been: "Chess is the royal waste of time."
    Is that quote by basso? If not, do you remember who said it?
  10. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 03:51
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Is that quote by basso? If not, do you remember who said it?
    No, the quote is not by basso. And sorry, can't remember where I read that or who said it. (Might have been my wife.) (Just kidding.)
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 06:47
    A famous quotation is: "Oohhh NOOOOO !!!!"
    I use it now and then.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '07 07:15
    "with 1.e4!, I win." Fischer.
  13. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    22 May '07 16:28
    "Are you any good?" - Bowmann
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 May '07 18:03
    "Why must I lose to this idiot?!!!!!"

-Nimzovich
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 May '07 18:07
    Originally posted by allostery

"I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like ...[text shortened]... thing."

Yeah, now if he was only willing to pony up and put his moves where his mouth is. Instead, he hasn't played a professional game since 1972 unless you count the lame match against Spaasky in the 1990s.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree