Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 21 Mar '06 19:59
    I got two questions, guys:

-Which book(s) is(are) a good introduction to the theme of chess sacrifices ?

-Which book is best as an introduction to understand why and when in a certain position a pawn or piece sacrifice is at its place ?
  2. 21 Mar '06 20:17
    Rudolf Spielmann has written a book called the art of sacrifice which handles the subject.

Nicklas Persson
  3. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    21 Mar '06 20:24
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I got two questions, guys:

-Which book(s) is(are) a good introduction to the theme of chess sacrifices ?

-Which book is best as an introduction to understand why and when in a certain position a pawn or piece sacrifice is at its place ?
    The Art of Attack in Chess by Vukovic covers sacrifices a fair bit.

It helped me find this sacrifice...Game 1514982

D
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    21 Mar '06 20:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    I came here to suggest this book. Not only does it cover sacrifices (which are just one small part of attacking chess) it also covers the other needed (and overlooked by some) strategies.

That's quite the long term sacrifice there Rag. Beats the game I was going to post.

Game 1086815
  5. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    21 Mar '06 21:10

D
    Very nice and against a good player, too.
  6. 22 Mar '06 21:21
    Originally posted by NicklasPersson
    Rudolf Spielmann has written a book called the art of sacrifice which handles the subject.

Nicklas Persson
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
  7. 22 Mar '06 21:22

D
    Very well played. Thanks for the info.
  8. 22 Mar '06 21:23
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I came here to suggest this book. Not only does it cover sacrifices (which are just one small part of attacking chess) it also covers the other needed (and overlooked by some) strategies.

That's quite the long term sacrifice there Rag. Beats the game I was going to post.

Game 1086815
    Thanks for the info.
  9. 22 Mar '06 21:27
    Most of my sacrifices turn into suckrafices.
  10. 22 Mar '06 23:23
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    Most of my sacrifices turn into suckrafices.
    That's why I initiated this thread ...
  11. 23 Mar '06 18:02
    The Vukovic book recommended earlier is outstanding, if not comprehensive. For something a little more "quick and dirty," I've always enjoyed Renaud and Kahn's "The Art of the Checkmate":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486201066/103-6202953-5104661?v=glance&n=283155
  12. 23 Mar '06 18:43
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ

Game 1086815
    Actually Black blundered on move 10...failing to see the conditions were right for the classic bishop sacrifice and yes, Art of Attack explains it well...
  13. 23 Mar '06 19:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    . For something a little more "quick and dirty," I've always enjoyed Renaud and Kahn's "The Art of the Checkmate":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486201066/103-6202953-5104661?v=glance&n=283155
    If my memory serves me well this book deals with mating patterns. Correct ? Very good book indeed. I read it in French, so maybe it is not the same book though.

Edit: I checked. It's the same book !
  14. 23 Mar '06 20:07
    NICE WIN XAN!