Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 10 Jan '08 18:51
    This is one of the best tactics books I've read. If you're < 1700, I'd say this book will help. I like it because it gives you more than the answer; it also gives you the *why* (e.g., "Black is relying on his pin to the White king, therefore..." and "such-and-such move wouldn't work because of...)

Great book in my opinion.
  2. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    10 Jan '08 19:21
    Originally posted by magnublm
    This is one of the best tactics books I've read. If you're < 1700, I'd say this book will help. I like it because it gives you more than the answer; it also gives you the *why* (e.g., "Black is relying on his pin to the White king, therefore..." and "such-and-such move wouldn't work because of...)

Can you give us an example?

You've got me very interested. Am coaching chess and am always on the look out for a good tactics book. If you don't have it, I think Understanding Chess Tactics is also a superb book.

D
  3. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    22 Jan '08 23:14

So, I got this today and have read just over half.

It is excellent at what it does, and it has a lot of very nice puzzles to solve. I think you probably have the rating about right < 1700, as I found 95% of the book quite easy, but it's still good reinforcement.

I'd still definitely recommend Understanding Chess Tactics as a book to be read after this one. And if you are looking for tougher tactics puzzles, then Reinfeld's are fiendishly difficult.

D
  4. 22 Jan '08 23:27
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

It is excellent at what it does, and it has a lot of very nice puzzles to solve. I think you probably have the rating about right < 1700, as I found 95% of the book quite easy, but it's still good reinforcement.

I'd still definitely recommend Understanding Chess Tactics as a book to be read after ...[text shortened]... f you are looking for tougher tactics puzzles, then Reinfeld's are fiendishly difficult.

D
    Well, per your advice from this post I went and bought 'Understanding Chess Tactics'. I like it a lot, and I like the detail in the answers. Thanks. Recommended book, I'd have to say. (Did that last sentence sound like Yoda? I didn't mean it to.) :-)
  5. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    22 Jan '08 23:37
    Well, per your advice from this post I went and bought 'Understanding Chess Tactics'. I like it a lot, and I like the detail in the answers. Thanks. Recommended book, I'd have to say. (Did that last sentence sound like Yoda? I didn't mean it to.) :-)
    Weteschnik's English can be a little idiosyncratic at times, but it doesn't detract.

The only (minor) issue I have with it is that it doesn't tell you who is to move in the demo positions. I'd like to look at the board for minute before reading about the position.

D
  6. 23 Jan '08 03:34
    IM Richard palliser new tactics book is for players after the warm up section over 1800 USCF.is also a good book.
  7. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    26 Jan '08 12:11

I'd still definitely recommend Understanding Chess Tactics as a book to be read after ...[text shortened]... f you are looking for tougher tactics puzzles, then Reinfeld's are fiendishly difficult.

D
    I wrote this when I was only half way through, and had mostly covered the basci tactics.

The book excels when it gets onto the slightly tougher sections, and I really enjoyed reading through "Traps and Counter-Traps".

White to move. Is 1. Bc4 a good choice?

Can anybody recommend a book which mostly concentrates on these types of tactics and countertactics? Currently, I spot that I am putting pieces in the line of a tactic, and don't make that move, whereas the more subtle countertactic would improve my play enormously, I think.

D
  8. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    26 Jan '08 12:41 / 2 edits
    I wrote this when I was only half way through, and had mostly covered the basci tactics.

The book excels when it gets onto the slightly tougher sections, and I really enjoyed reading through "Traps and Counter-Traps".

White to move. Is 1. Bc4 a good choice?
    [fen]5rk1/p7/1pb3pp/3qP3/3p1r2/1P1B2R1/P6P/3Q1RK1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

Can anybody recommend a t move, whereas the more subtle countertactic would improve my play enormously, I think.

D
    1. Bc4 Rxf1+ 2. Qxf1 Rxf1+ 3. Kxf1 Bb5 counter pinning white's bishop. I think this is with best play from both sides
  9. 26 Jan '08 12:43
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    1. Bc4 Rxf1+ 2. Qxf1 Rxf1+ 3. Kxf1 Bb5 counter pinning white's bishop. I think this is with best play from both sides
    Yes it is, it's a good problem. You can't just play Rxf4 either due to Qh1...
    I must write this one down...
  10. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    26 Jan '08 14:09
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Can you find the winning continuation for white (instead of 1.Bc4) ?

D
  11. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    26 Jan '08 14:19
    Can you find the winning continuation for white (instead of 1.Bc4) ?

D
    I'm looking into 1. Rxg6+ but let me see.
  12. 26 Jan '08 14:30
    I was going along the lines of
    Rxg6+ Kh8
    Rxh6+ Kg8
    Qg4+ Rxg4
    Rxf8+
    but that is easily blocked.
    How about
    Rxg6+ Kh8
    Rxh6+ Kh8
    Bh7+ Kg7
    Rg6+ Kxh7
    Qh5#
  13. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    26 Jan '08 14:39
    I'll leave the solution of that one for a while.

Is it safe for white to take the pawn with 1. Bxe6?

D
  14. 26 Jan '08 14:44
    I'll leave the solution of that one for a while.

Is it safe for white to take the pawn with 1. Bxe6?
    [fen]3rb3/1pq3pk/p3p2p/2p5/5PB1/P4QP1/1PP4P/5R1K w - - 0 1[/fen]

D
    I assume my solution was wrong.
    Ok, will work on puzzle 2.
  15. 26 Jan '08 14:44 / 1 edit
    No, after Bc6 he loses the wQ.
    Actually, forget that idea, Bf5+ followed by Be4 seems sound.