1. SubscriberChufty Jones
    Chessicle's nemesis
    In the sand
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:18
    I am doing a short talk on the childish behaviour of grandmasters next week and was wondering if anyone could post me their favourite stories and the tournaments they are from?

Cheers

Chufty
  2. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:22
    Originally posted by Chufty Jones
    I am doing a short talk on the childish behaviour of grandmasters next week and was wondering if anyone could post me their favourite stories and the tournaments they are from?

Cheers

Chufty
    There's a video clip of Korchnoi be very childish after losing to one of the Polgar sisters.
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:521 edit
    Originally posted by Mahout
    There's a video clip of Korchnoi be very childish after losing to one of the Polgar sisters.
    I was just going to suggest the same clip.
    "The very first & the very last in your life, yeah?"
    Well, he is about 9 million years old, bless him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M9k5oBgaZGI
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:011 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberIan709
    In the learning
    Southern California
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:09
    It will be the last time because he'll fall over dead before they play again (not to mention his physical incapability to play blitz at his age)
  6. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:22
    It is not as good as the Korchnoi-vid. But anyway:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JpL8-abJ97Y&mode=related&search=

Topalov vs Kramnik 2007 Corus Tournament Wijk aan Zee.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:35
    He wasn't a grandmaster at the time, but this story about David Howell caught my attention when it happened mostly because it was kept so firmly under wraps, even now it is very hard to find any information about it:

English chess prodigy David Howell punched the organiser of the "Inaugural European Union Chess Championships" when it turned out that he (David Howell) hadn't played well enough to win a prize. The assault happened after the extremely pleasant and good natured prize giving when Howell found out that titled players weren't eligible for junior prizes
  8. Toronto
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:38
    Does Fischer's complaints during the 1972 World Championship count? I'm talking about little things he had issues with like the wood finish on the chess board, the lighting of the stage, the coughing from the crowd, etc.
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:39
    Originally posted by clarencecuasay
    Does Fischer's complaints during the 1972 World Championship count? I'm talking about little things he had issues with like the wood finish on the chess board, the lighting of the stage, the coughing from the crowd, etc.
    I think Fischer's whole life counts.
  10. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:40
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I think Fischer's whole life counts.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9n7Igq1fg
  11. Standard memberIan709
    In the learning
    Southern California
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:49
    Originally posted by clarencecuasay
    I think the Russian complaints count too, didn't they rip open Spassky's chair to look for a device that was "inhibiting his play"?
  12. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:58
    Originally posted by Ian709
    I think the Russian complaints count too, didn't they rip open Spassky's chair to look for a device that was "inhibiting his play"?
    Fischer kept leaving his chair to go for a strole & Spassky's team were convinced he had an electronic device in Fischer's chair. Pointed at Boris said device was turned on when Bobby got up, whereby it directed energy beams at Spassky's head (he said he felt unwell during the match & it was hard to concentrate) & was turned off when Bobby sat back down.

This was discussed in a documentary on the 1972 WC.
  13. washington
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 18:01
    are all chess players paranoid?
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 20:12
    Not a tantrum, but a childish joke - this story made me laugh:

In one of the games Staunton made a sacrifice whereby he expected to win; but Harrwitz retorted by also sacrificing a piece, and the result was that the Prussian emerged from the scrimmage with a superior game and a pawn ahead.

Somewhat chagrined at his discomfiture, Staunton muttered - "Dear me, dear me, I have lost a pawn!" in a voice and with an accent that indicated rather anger towards his opponent for his clever maneuver than blame towards himself for his faulty combination.

When he had repeated those words, "I have lost a pawn", several times, Harrwitz rang the bell sharply, and, upon the waiter appearing, he exclaimed -

"William, will you kindly look about the floor for a pawn. Mr. Staunton has just lost one."
  15. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 20:40
    Well if you could widen your field to include chess players as a community and not just grandmaster (does anyone know when this title was invented) then you will find a wealth of material without having to leave this forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree