1. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 09:01
    For a while now iv been thinking about getting tutoring from a IM or GM. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I wouldnt want to pay more than £15 an hour.

Iv found quite a few GMs who offer lessons for about this rate but before I decide I would welcome peoples recommendations as to their own tutors?

Thanks in advanced.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 09:42
    I would rather invest that time in self analysis of my own games and seeing my weaknesses. In the "nobody should be left behind" thread, there are a couple of good tips and follow some of those and see where you are 6 months down the line.

I was amazed when I gathered a collection of my games from this site and online blitz sites and discovered errors down to :-

- poor opening preparation
    - not looking for the best move
    - short-termism ie chasing a pawn but geting positionally worse
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 09:49
    Originally posted by z00t
    I would rather invest that time in self analysis of my own games and seeing my weaknesses. In the [b]"nobody should be left behind" thread, there are a couple of good tips and follow some of those and see where you are 6 months down the line.

I was amazed when I gathered a collection of my games from this site and online blitz sites and discovered error ...[text shortened]... ot looking for the best move
    - short-termism ie chasing a pawn but geting positionally worse[/b]
    Iv invested my time in self analysis while this helps it can only go so far and I feel as though im at the point where general information in books or sites is often unhelpful.

I feel as though if im to make good and quick improvement the advice will have to be accurate and to the point and from a IM/GM level player.
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 09:54
    I teach a lot of 1600-1800 level players and have discovered that they just are totally clueless about some concepts or motifs etc (colour strategy being the main one). I know I was at one time but these ideas are covered in a lot of books so reading up on them is easy. Instead of them wadding through book after book trying to improve their game the advice I give in an hour can save them weeks or months of time. I suspect it will be the same for a GM advising me.
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 10:15
    Levitt's site hit the nail on the head with regard to my situation ... Chess players are generally quite mean with money. Be prepared to invest in your future as a player! In my situation I bought Fritz when it cost an arm and a leg and gave it away when the next few versions came out. With hindsight, openings are my weaker point and so software would benefit me. Thus Chessbase/Fritz 10 are on my shopping list.

He also has a section on teachers and the pros/cons of them. However as I know my pluses/minuses, a teacher would not help me out as much as opening preparation would. I read some of Karpov's books and there was a part he said his play diminished because he was not preparing as well as he had earlier.
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 10:23
    I think opening prep is one of my stronger points. Its easier than most aspects of chess to learn since a single book can cover everything you need in regards to an opening where as middle game...you need about 10 books at least.

A lot of my openings are off the beaten track anyway so massive amounts of prep is rarely needed to know them better than anyone im likely to play.
  7. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 11:14
    Andrew Martin has a chess academy offering lessons, his DVD's are good http://www.andrewmartinchessacademy.com/main.php however it appears it's out of your price range.

I think you'll get some lessons through GM's & IM's on playchess.
  8. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 11:17
    Yes iv talked to quite a few of the GMs/IMs there most seem to offer lessons for around 10-20 pounds. There isnt however much else to pick about them other than they all promise to improve your chess, so im wondering if anyone has been tutored and has a recommendation 🙂
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 11:231 edit
    http://www.andrewmartinchessacademy.com/main.php

Private on-line expert tuition for one hour €40
    Private on-line tuition from an International Master for one hour €50
    Private on-line tuition from a Grandmaster for one hour
    hm those prices are a joke.....

For example IM Zoran Petronijevic offers one hour lessons for 15 euros.
  10. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 11:32
    I think it really depends on how serious you are about chess. I love the game but no way do I put much effort into improving my game, I enjoy playing blitz and watching chess DVD's but I don't really put the effort in to really improve my game.

I think if you've reached the stage where you can no longer improve through normal means (books, software, dvds etc) then maybe getting the advice from a GM is the way to go.
  11. over there
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 11:33
    I always thought books were better just because they save you money in the long run. Some people don't like reading though, so I guess a tutor would be good for them.
  12. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 11:491 edit
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    I always thought books were better just because they save you money in the long run. Some people don't like reading though, so I guess a tutor would be good for them.
    Iv got about 50-60 chess books. Its becoming harder and harder to learn anything new by normal means.
  13. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 11:51
    Originally posted by Audacious
    I think it really depends on how serious you are about chess. I love the game but no way do I put much effort into improving my game, I enjoy playing blitz and watching chess DVD's but I don't really put the effort in to really improve my game.

I think if you've reached the stage where you can no longer improve through normal means (books, software, dvds etc) then maybe getting the advice from a GM is the way to go.
    I want a master title and I want it now! grrrrrr 🙂

I figure im going to be playing chess all my life (another 60ish years I hope!) so spending a little time, effort and money on it getting as good as I can should provide a good life long hobby.
  14. over there
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 12:16
    I heard Solitare Chess is very good for learning. Try that if oyu haven't already.

Anyway, tutors deffinately help. The only drawback is they are expensive.
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 12:251 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Iv got about 50-60 chess books. Its becoming harder and harder to learn anything new by normal means.
    The question is not whether you have 5 or 500 books. Can you reproduce what is in the books? Can you beat any chess software with handicap/rating limits on or off?

I would hate to be as desperate as those paying €80-€100 per hour for a lesson when you are not following the same advice in a book on your shelf. You should be able to gauge areas in your game that need improvement and then ttake the necessary action.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree