1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 15:22
    Ok, so my roommate has a glass chess set, but on the box the picture shows the kings and queens are on opposite files.

so for white, the king is on e1, but for black, the king is on d1 and the queen is beside the king (as always). Anyway, I told him that it was wrong and he challenged me to a game like that.

Long story short - It was rather interesting. You had to be very careful not to be too agressive with your center pawns. There was lots of wing play. From both of our perspectives we were playing as white, against white.

Anyway, I reccomend you try it with a friend, that one difference makes a huge impact on the way you attack and defend.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 15:411 edit
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Ok, so my roommate has a glass chess set, but on the box the picture shows the kings and queens are on opposite files.

so for white, the king is on e1, but for black, the king is on d1 and the queen is beside the king (as always). Anyway, I told him that it was wrong and he challenged me to a game like that.

Long story short - It was rather interes ...[text shortened]... try it with a friend, that one difference makes a huge impact on the way you attack and defend.
    Were you unable to castle? The game should be identical except that playing 1. d4 is like playing 1. e4 normally.

identical is the wrong word as there is symmetry about the d/e border. c7 is then as weak as f7 is normally etc.
  3. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 15:52
    Originally posted by zebano
    Were you unable to castle? The game should be identical except that playing 1. d4 is like playing 1. e4 normally.

identical is the wrong word as there is symmetry about the d/e border. c7 is then as weak as f7 is normally etc.
    I would post an FEN of the initial position, but I don't know how to use FEN... regardless, if white plays 1.e4, it is a normal e-pawn game if you look at only the white pieces, but the difference is the black kingside is on the white queenside! so if you tried to play normally... 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3, this move doesn't threaten anything.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 17:00
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    I would post an FEN of the initial position, but I don't know how to use FEN... regardless, if white plays 1.e4, it is a normal e-pawn game if you look at only the white pieces, but the difference is the black kingside is on the white queenside! so if you tried to play normally... 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3, this move doesn't threaten anything.
    ahh, I missed the part about the black king/queen being switched but not the white...
  5. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 17:47
    This would make an interesting set piece tournament, if it weren't for the problem with castling.
  6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    This would make an interesting set piece tournament, if it weren't for the problem with castling.
    Yeah! great idea! I mean, OTB you could castle no problem, its just playing online here where there is a problem.

Whoever moves first might have a slight advantage in this set-up... but its hard to say

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree