1. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    15 May '14 01:04
    Do you know if this is possible? Has anybody ever tried to install CB on a usb flash drive in order to have a portable version of CB?

Note: the installer only lets you choose from volumes on your harddrive (c: and d:, for example). It won't even let you choose your thumb drive, say, e: as a program location.

Does anybody know of a trick to achieve this?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '14 14:391 edit
    Originally posted by feucav64
    Do you know if this is possible? Has anybody ever tried to install CB on a usb flash drive in order to have a portable version of CB?

Note: the installer only lets you choose from volumes on your harddrive (c: and d:, for example). It won't even let you choose your thumb drive, say, e: as a program location.

You could designate the flash as the D drive, at least temporarily, if you actually have a D drive, you can disconnect it and then plug in the USB which should come out as a D. I have seen it come out with other letters before but you should be able to download chessbase to it like that.

Let us know if that works. Why can't you just download the whole file to a single folder and stuff that folder, copy and paste it, into the flash?
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    15 May '14 18:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why can't you just download the whole file to a single folder and stuff that folder, copy and paste it, into the flash?
    The whole file? What file are you talking about here? You mean the entire Chessbase 'Program Files' folder?
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 05:25

Got this from a Google search on 'make app portable'.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-portable-app-flash-drive/

Give it a try and see if it works.
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    16 May '14 19:00
    Thanks, BigDoggProblem!! That worked. Besides, the other good thing is that you can use this trick for any other piece of software that you may want to carry on your flash drive. I can't believe I got it to work :-)

How do you export games from Chessbase to Word. I only see the option Publish to Web and printing. Can you export your games to Rich Text Format?
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    16 May '14 19:55
    Never mind. I figured it out. You just select Save to Text File under File.

What kind of software do all the major chess book publishers, like Gambit, Quality Chess, Everyman, use to put together their manuscripts? Chessbase or more specialized software?

Does anybody know?
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 19:55
    Thanks, BigDoggProblem!! That worked. Besides, the other good thing is that you can use this trick for any other piece of software that you may want to carry on your flash drive. I can't believe I got it to work :-)

How do you export games from Chessbase to Word. I only see the option Publish to Web and printing. Can you export your games to Rich Text Format?
    In CB12, opening the database, selecting a game, then File->Selection to text file allowed me to save as an RTF (among other options).
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 May '14 22:49
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Got this from a Google search on 'make app portable'.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-portable-app-flash-drive/

Give it a try and see if it works.
    Are the first steps used to prep any app you want to later insert or do you have to do all that setup stuff for each app?
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 23:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are the first steps used to prep any app you want to later insert or do you have to do all that setup stuff for each app?
    I have not tried it myself.

It looks like you should only have to do Step 2 one time (downloading the apps that extract and pack). The rest, you probably have to do for every portable app you want to make.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '14 12:421 edit
    I have not tried it myself.

It looks like you should only have to do Step 2 one time (downloading the apps that extract and pack). The rest, you probably have to do for every portable app you want to make.
    Windows is like so last century, get SCID and the portable version SCID on the GO for android, both faster than smelly old chessbase and open source!
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 May '14 17:441 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Windows is like so last century, get SCID and the portable version SCID on the GO for android, both faster than smelly old chessbase and open source!
    I tried SCID and found the UI to be jumbled, to put it mildly.

Arena is not bad.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '14 18:32
    I tried SCID and found the UI to be jumbled, to put it mildly.

Arena is not bad.
    A bit jumbled? its genius!
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 May '14 20:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    A bit jumbled? its genius!
    Meh. 🙂
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    18 May '14 01:001 edit
    To mention only a few things, in SCID you can't add text before a move; always after it, which makes it less than ideal to annotate games. You can't work with games in PGN format. You have to convert them to .sci format and, after you're finished, back to PGN. That's not the case in CB. OTOH, it's database capabilities are not bad. It's pretty fast.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '14 10:426 edits
    To mention only a few things, in SCID you can't add text before a move; always after it, which makes it less than ideal to annotate games. You can't work with games in PGN format. You have to convert them to .sci format and, after you're finished, back to PGN. That's not the case in CB. OTOH, it's database capabilities are not bad. It's pretty fast.
    Ummm you can work with games in pgn format, infact it has a utility to import a game in pgn format and to export it as a pgn, you don't have to convert them to anything. For example - Tools - Export game to pgn file. Tools - import one pgn game - Tools - import file of pgn games. I know not where you get your information from but i suggest reading the user guide, seriously. Id just like to conclude by saying that Windows sucks and CB sucks too! Get Linux my friends, bring harmony to the universe 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree