Moves
    18 May '14 17:21
    I'm using SCID vs. PC. And you?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '14 17:241 edit
    Originally posted by feucav64
    I'm using SCID vs. PC. And you?
    I am using SCID that I download from the Ubuntu software center.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '14
    Moves
    18 May '14 22:35
    So we're using different versions. In my SCID PGN db's are read-only. I believe the version of SCID you're using is no longer supported.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 07:481 edit
    Originally posted by feucav64
    So we're using different versions. In my SCID PGN db's are read-only. I believe the version of SCID you're using is no longer supported.
    whether its still supported or not i cannot say, last release was in 2011, last scid v pc was uploaded to sourceforge in 2009, either way, i can import entire databases of pgn files as much as my hard drives can handle! I have used both SCID and Chessbase and I will never use Chessbase again, its slow and clunky.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '14 11:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whether its still supported or not i cannot say, last release was in 2011, last scid v pc was uploaded to sourceforge in 2009, either way, i can import entire databases of pgn files as much as my hard drives can handle! I have used both SCID and Chessbase and I will never use Chessbase again, its slow and clunky.
    Robbie, what about other apps in Ubuntu? What is the Linux equivalent of outlook or outlook express, or word or excel, that kind of thing? I ran into the fact that my comp is too old to upgrade to win 7 and of course MS stopped updating XP so I am left with what to do with a computer no longer supported by MS and am thinking about jumping on the linux wagon.

But I have win programs for stuff like changing the frames of photos from say 1180 X 1600 or whatever to something else, 480X960 or any number you stick in. I find at work, for instance, I have a nice digital camera, no great shakes in the resolution department, 5 ish megapixels or so, still takes excellent pictures but I take a LOT of photos of engineering projects and such at work to email to a consultant or parts company and I don't feel comfortable sending a 5 meg image out that is WAY over pixeled for what the receiver needs, so there is an app that cuts that WAY down to something like 100K or so and at the other end the image is just as good for identification purposes as it would be if it were 20 megs.

So I use that app a lot. Is there something in the Ubuntu world that does that?

I see there is a similar function in Outlook the pops up before I email but of course you couldn't use outlook in Ubuntu, what do they use for email?

Also what is there for media, like windows media player? Not saying they are great or anything but I am kind of used to using it, clunky as it is, what is available for Ubuntu?

Also, am I assuming rightly that I would basically wipe the slate clean as far as everything under windows right now, or can I put say, photo's and word docs in a file first, I guess the answer to that is to flash them first then go to ubuntu, eh.

This project would be for our family machine, everyone uses it. I have a couple of laptops, one of which already has win 7 (which has a better 64 bit OS than XP, and 8 gigs of ram, used for music recording, Sonar, Wavelab, etc.)

And a PC for that purpose also but it is also stuck in the XP world unable to be upgraded.

For music recording, what does Ubuntu have to offer? I can say without a doubt, Sonar is one powerful frigging DAW, and I have basically grown up with it from the very early days when my daughter who was going to Berklee music college in boston, was given version 4.5 of the original Cakewalk.

Been using it since then and have upgraded to the latest version to date, X3 Sonar.

Anything in Ubuntu land with ANYTHING like the power of Sonar or Wavelab?

Those two in combination allows one to start, finish, produce a CD, DVD, flash drive output of any media in one box.

I wouldn't mind switching to Ubuntu for recording if I could find stuff that powerful.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Robbie, what about other apps in Ubuntu? What is the Linux equivalent of outlook or outlook express, or word or excel, that kind of thing? I ran into the fact that my comp is too old to upgrade to win 7 and of course MS stopped updating XP so I am left with what to do with a computer no longer supported by MS and am thinking about jumping on the linux wagon ...[text shortened]... e box.

I wouldn't mind switching to Ubuntu for recording if I could find stuff that powerful.
    let me say this once and once only, Linux is for power users! anything windows can do Linux can do it! Open source is always likely to be better because it has a broader spectrum of expertise.

You want email clients? there are literally zillions!

thunderbird, Kmail, Gnome mail, Moonlit, you also get dropbox for Linux if you want to send files and this is just tip of the iceberg, Linux has more apps than you can handle!

You want image manipulation then Gimp is better then photoshop, yeah i said it, better than photoshop!

you want to make high resolution videos, Kdenlive, you want to do 3d modeling and make animation, Blender is more powerful than you can imagine.

I myself dont use an email client, i just use gmail.

media player there are loads.

My advice is this, download the ISO image file from Canonical that suits your computer profile, burn the DVD, stick in into your disk drive and try out Ubuntu (yes you can try it out and dont need to install anything.) It will take time to get used to Ubuntu but its well worth the effort, you got a problem you have an army of uber geeks to help you all souped up on coffee and willing to give of their time on the Ubuntu forums.

There is a linux distribution especially for artists/musicians and is called Ubuntu studio 😀
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 May '14 15:58
    let me say this once and once only, Linux is for power users! anything windows can do Linux can do it! Open source is always likely to be better because it has a broader spectrum of expertise.

thunderbird, Kmail, Gnome mail, Moonlit, you also get dropbox for Linux if you want to send files ...[text shortened]...

There is a linux distribution especially for artists/musicians and is called Ubuntu studio 😀
    That is very true in the case of GIMP. It can do a million things, but finding how to do even the simplest of things is difficult. I have it, but I only use it if I need to do something the simpler image programs can't do.

Even power users don't want every single aspect of their computing experience to be super-complicated.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 19:11
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That is very true in the case of GIMP. It can do a million things, but finding how to do even the simplest of things is difficult. I have it, but I only use it if I need to do something the simpler image programs can't do.

Even power users don't want every single aspect of their computing experience to be super-complicated.
    there are millions of Gimp tutorials on youtube! just watch the ones for noobs and suck them up into your mind! How hard can it be?
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 May '14 21:151 edit
    there are millions of Gimp tutorials on youtube! just watch the ones for noobs and suck them up into your mind! How hard can it be?
    Google is better. I read faster than I watch videos.

But the main point is, in a well-designed UI, I don't have to do research to figure out how the program works.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '14 22:40

thunderbird, Kmail, Gnome mail, Moonlit, you also get dropbox for Linux if you want to send files ...[text shortened]...

Thanks! I'll give it a try. What is the latest rendition of Ubuntu? And where do I find it?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '14 00:051 edit
    Thanks! I'll give it a try. What is the latest rendition of Ubuntu? And where do I find it?
    Ah, I found it online, 14 something. I saw the bit about putting it on a USB stick. All my sticks are full right now, have to scrounge up a fresh one. It sounds like even a small 4 gig stick will work fine. I think you can't even buy 4 gigs anymore. Have to do with 8🙂

BTW, music creative juices are flowing again, must be summer, that seems to be my peak time. Got two new tunes done, one my first hornpipe.

Just wrote a new tune tonight, for mandolin or fiddle, recorded both new tunes to my Olympus recorder, a nice little note taker that happens to record music for just remembering, but it does a nice job of it, the model
    WS-700M with a 4 gig micro SD plug, I think you can stick 8 gigs in it. Plenty of room for sure! I recorded my daughter's composition played at Wesleyan college, a piece for Oboe, flute and bassoon if I remember right.

Nice piece. I also recorded about 5 hours of conversation at the college about various musical themes. A whole lot left over!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '14 08:52
    Google is better. I read faster than I watch videos.

But the main point is, in a well-designed UI, I don't have to do research to figure out how the program works.
    Google smoogle! all powerful software takes at least some time to master completely, why Gimp should be an exception i cannot say.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '14 09:00
    Ah, I found it online, 14 something. I saw the bit about putting it on a USB stick. All my sticks are full right now, have to scrounge up a fresh one. It sounds like even a small 4 gig stick will work fine. I think you can't even buy 4 gigs anymore. Have to do with 8🙂

BTW, music creative juices are flowing again, must be summer, that seems to be my peak ...[text shortened]... bout 5 hours of conversation at the college about various musical themes. A whole lot left over!
    I would just like to say from practical experience that you are best using a wired connection to start with if you are planning on using Ubuntu for the first time because you may have to search for the appropriate software for you wifi card, its not much of a problem now though as it used to be, but if all you have is a wifi card then obviously as you try your new operating system the wifi may well not work 'out the box' and you will need the wired connection to search for the appropriate repository.

Perhaps the beginning of summertime inspires you?
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 May '14 15:48
    Google smoogle! all powerful software takes at least some time to master completely, why Gimp should be an exception i cannot say.
    Master completely, yes; do basic things without research, no.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '14 20:46
    Master completely, yes; do basic things without research, no.
    ok what simple thing do you want to do that takes extensive research?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree