CJ banned from presenting the prizes.

CJ banned from presenting the prizes.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e4

Moves
07 Aug 11

CJ Mahmood a wll know British TV personality and President of the English
Chess Federation has apparently been banned from the prize
giving at the British Championship becasue he was wearing a tee-shirt
supporting gay rights.

Now read on. (and you thought it hot here).

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3343

And remember there are no niks there, everyone is out in the open.
No hiding or slagging behind unknown avatars.

A

Moves
07 Aug 11

Bloody Raymond Keene

g

Moves
07 Aug 11

It's de mooi, not Mahmood.

He wasn't banned. He got upset when an arbiter suggested the shirt may be inappropriate for the prize giving (as juniors were present), and withdrew. Then he made a statement on twitter and another via Ray Keene that it was disgraceful he had been "banned". He has since admitted to overreacting.

Making false statements publicly isn't terribly presidential and neither were the attire and publicity seeking.

On the plus side he has been a hard working president putting a lot of miles and money into the job.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
07 Aug 11

How stuffy does it have to be? I reckon if Raymond Keane on twitter is involved the t-shirt is completely fine 🙂

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
07 Aug 11

Ray Keene in a T-shirt? That's definitely something to ban! 😲

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by greenpawn34
CJ Mahmood a wll know British TV personality and President of the English
Chess Federation has apparently been banned from the prize
giving at the British Championship becasue he was wearing a tee-shirt
supporting gay rights.

Now read on. (and you thought it hot here).

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3343

And remember there are no niks there, everyone is out in the open.
No hiding or slagging behind unknown avatars.
Quite right too.

How would the position have been if he been wearing a T shirt that said

" I support the right to have sex with animals or children"

or

" I am straight and homosexuals are an abomination"

or

"Keep Britain white"

I bet that no-one involved in the event would have been happy if he had worn a T shirt with any of these messages.

But throw in a "gay rights issue " and suddenly it is disgusting and discriminatory.

k

Pities the fool

Moves
08 Aug 11

Why wasn't he wearing a suit or material promoting the ECF? Who has ever seen the officials at FIFA/Olympics while presenting prizes wearing t-shirts with political slogans?

p

under your bed

Moves
08 Aug 11
1 edit

I think it was a pretty bad call to use a Chess event to try and sneek in some free exposure for his gay rights charity.

It probably would have been more acceptable if it had been the 2011 British Gay Chess Championships.

A stable personality

Near my hay.

Moves
08 Aug 11

I was relieved to find I haven't been banned - I didn't remember even being invited.

Pale Yellow Star!

Minneapolis

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by adramforall
Quite right too.

How would the position have been if he been wearing a T shirt that said

" I support the right to have sex with animals or children"

or

" I am straight and homosexuals are an abomination"

or

"Keep Britain white"

I bet that no-one involved in the event would have been happy if he had worn a T shirt with any of these ...[text shortened]...

But throw in a "gay rights issue " and suddenly it is disgusting and discriminatory.
Well, this is just an ignorant thing to say. Homosexuality is quite different from bestiality, pedophilia, homophobia, or racism. Advocating for a group to have the same rights that other people have, as the T-shirt did, is not the same as discrimination or advocating for rights that nobody else has.

e4

Moves
08 Aug 11
1 edit

Printed tee-shirt to me have always seemed silly.

You smile once but when you see it again and again it's like some
bloke telling the same joke over and over and over again. Boring.

Now all the facts are out it does appears he was not asked to remove his tee shirt
but advised it may be a good idea. CJ perhaps over re-acted by declining to
present the prizes and offering to resign.

One poster on the ECF forum was right though, would the BBC have allowed
him to wear on Eggheads.

I supported his stance (withdrawing from the prize giving) no room for
anything like that in Chess. But now all the facts are out I think a bit of
give and take on this one would have sorted things out.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
08 Aug 11
2 edits

Originally posted by kopatov
Why wasn't he wearing a suit or material promoting the ECF? Who has ever seen the officials at FIFA/Olympics while presenting prizes wearing t-shirts with political slogans?
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Even more, his role was to award prizes and recognize others for their achievements, but instead he was drawing attention to himself and to an issue that had nothing to do with the forum or the prize recipients.

The fact that we have a post talking about his T-shirt, with absolutely no mention of the identities of the prize winners or their achievements, shows how he failed the event and the people involved.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by patrickrutgers
Advocating for a group to have the same rights that other people have, as the T-shirt did
You just didn't get the point of my post.

The gay rights movement just want to change laws and peoples point of view to make what they do legal and acceptable.

If you had a group of paedos looking to change the law to make what they do legal and acceptable would you find the T shirt offensive?

Wearing the T shirt was the wrong thing to do.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Even more, his role was to award prizes and recognize others for their achievements, but instead he was drawing attention to himself and to an issue that had nothing to do with the forum or the prize recipients.

The fact that we have a post talking about his T-shirt, with absolutely no mention of the identiti ...[text shortened]... the prize winners or their achievements, shows how he failed the event and the people involved.
Well said.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Aug 11

Originally posted by adramforall
You just didn't get the point of my post.

The gay rights movement just want to change laws and peoples point of view to make what they do legal and acceptable.

If you had a group of paedos looking to change the law to make what they do legal and acceptable would you find the T shirt offensive?

Wearing the T shirt was the wrong thing to do.

And?