1. under your bed
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 17:401 edit
    In a recent county chess match I was white and made my first move at the agreed start time.

My opponent did not turn up and after an hour the game was claimed for the team.

After driving for an hour and half to a venue and wasting nearly a whole day I feel I should be able to claim the rating points as well - after all he technically lost on time?

It turns out my opponent just 'forgot'.

Anyone knoe ifd thisis possible under ECF controls etc? thanks.
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 18:15
    You've got no chance of getting any grading points, but I've known people who have asked for (and received) compensation for the petrol they used on getting to a venue only for their opponent not to turn up. At ~£1.35 / litre that might be worth considering.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 19:031 edit
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    In a recent county chess match I was white and made my first move at the agreed start time.

My opponent did not turn up and after an hour the game was claimed for the team.

After driving for an hour and half to a venue and wasting nearly a whole day I feel I should be able to claim the rating points as well - after all he technically lost on time?
    ...[text shortened]... my opponent just 'forgot'.

It happens to everyone sooner or later. Very irritating, has happened to me three times and it's such a let down. I agree, rating points should be a punishment for a no show but as far as i'm aware it's not in the rules. 🙁

At the very least i think a team should be forced to default on their bottom board. This way it would put pressure on teams to police their fellow players. I've sat and watched my team lose as the opposition default on board one and move their strong players down the order to make up for the default. Very unsporting but not against the rules!
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 19:21
    Any league or team competition I've played in has always enforced defaults from the bottom up i.e starting with the lowest board.

I did once turn up for a cup competition for my team back in London, 6 board match, we turned up with 4 players, we won on the top 3 boards, lost on baord 4 and won the match (and the cup) on countback
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 19:49
    Originally posted by st40
    Any league or team competition I've played in has always enforced defaults from the bottom up i.e starting with the lowest board.

I did once turn up for a cup competition for my team back in London, 6 board match, we turned up with 4 players, we won on the top 3 boards, lost on baord 4 and won the match (and the cup) on countback
    Is that so. Well the league in question was quite a low level affair. Is it actually written into the rules?
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 21:34
    hey didn't mean to offend...

i assume it must have been written in to the rules of the leagues I played in yes
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 21:56
    I guess I should clarify, what I meant was if you knew you were going to default a board then it started bottom up, if a player you expected to show up simply didn't then a team would default whatever board he was meant to be playing on
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 22:38
    "I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND!"

Perhaps, I am being a little too dramatic.

I can relate to the story,somewhat. I live 30 miles from the nearest college. They had a club, and it met every Thursday. I emailed the guy the day before, and he said he'd meet me there. I went through some harsh rain and waited for 45 minutes. In fact, I was stranded. I didn't have a phone, and the campus offices didn't allow outgoing calls. (I got a ride and was getting picked up.)
    Eventually, I saw someone I knew, and they allowed me to call my ride.
    When I finally caught up with him online, he said he figured no one would show in the rain. 😠
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 22:59
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics

When I finally caught up with him online, he said he figured no one would show in the rain. 😠[/b]
    "...no one would show in the rain." ??? Obviously, he is not a chess player.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 00:02
    Originally posted by st40
    hey didn't mean to offend...

i assume it must have been written in to the rules of the leagues I played in yes
    You didn't offend at all, my reply wasn't intended to give that impression. OOps 😳
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 05:11
    Originally posted by plopzilla

...[text shortened]... my opponent just 'forgot'.

You don't deserve any rating points, if you did not actually play a game against someone to risk losing rating points as well. A full point forfeit is all you should get. That is the final word.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 05:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You don't deserve any rating points, if you did not actually play a game against someone to risk losing rating points as well. A full point forfeit is all you should get. That is the final word.
    🙄
  13. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 10:33
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    "...no one would show in the rain." ??? Obviously, he is not a chess player.
    Ah yes, because chess players have a reputation for being rugged out-doorsy types.🙂

The only time I almost didn't turn up for a game was due to a misunderstanding with my club captain. He said 'We are playing Southend at home'. I took that to mean their home, not ours. Clearly, every venue is someone's home. Anyway, I battled through bad weather, found somewhere to park, realised I was on the wrong side of the railway line, found somewhere else to park, made it to the venue .. and barged in in the middle of a snooker tournament. They weren't happy, and snooker players look meaner than chess players. They in fact could be rugged out-doorsy types.

I then realised my mistake, made it back to our venue just before the 45 minute deadline .. and then lost.

So I now always double check what 'home' means. I still maintain it's not obvious.
  14. Joined
    06 Oct '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 10:56
    Depending on which 'Union' your county matches are played under there may be some clause allowing expenses to be refunded. From the SCCU match rules:

"11(b) The defaulting County shall meet the reasonable travelling and other expenses of the opposing team or player. Claims for expenses shall if necessary be approved by the County Match Controller."

Of course it then comes down to what is 'reasonable'...

For costs train tickets etc are easy; petrol/vehicle wear and tear not so (I'd argue 43p per mile, as per work; others would argue differently). How you deal with the player who received a lift both ways BUT had to sit around for 5.5 hours until their lift finished playing is a nightmare!

For reasons 'I forgot' is easy. 'Half the players are stuck on the M1 (major road between London and the middle of England, for those not familiar) and are not going anywhere', as affected several different finals in the mid-2000s was not as clear cut. Back in the 90s I vaguely remember a player defaulting as his wife handed him divorce papers as he went to leave the house. Don't think a claim was made there...

No chance of getting the grading points though, I'm afraid. For a player to lose a game a game actually has to take place!
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 16:45
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    You didn't offend at all, my reply wasn't intended to give that impression. OOps 😳
    no worries !

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree