1. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 20:29
    I once cycled 16 miles from Caerphilly to Aberdare to play a match in the snow (only about 5cm or 2inch) and the opposition did not turn up because of the weather. I cycled back following the curb because there were no road markings visible. Thinking back i must have been dedicated or more likely STUPID..!
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 22:24
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    Ah yes, because chess players have a reputation for being rugged out-doorsy types.🙂

The only time I almost didn't turn up for a game was due to a misunderstanding with my club captain. He said 'We are playing Southend at home'. I took that to mean their home, not ours. Clearly, every venue is someone's home. Anyway, I battled through bad weather, found ...[text shortened]... .

So I now always double check what 'home' means. I still maintain it's not obvious.
    Went way out of your way to the wrong place, and still made it back to the right place in time to avoid a forfeit?

We have another chess player in the house!
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Nov '12 22:31
    Originally posted by kingshill
    I once cycled 16 miles from Caerphilly to Aberdare to play a match in the snow (only about 5cm or 2inch) and the opposition did not turn up because of the weather. I cycled back following the curb because there were no road markings visible. Thinking back i must have been dedicated or more likely STUPID..!
    This is a description of passion, and we can all identify and even see ourselves in it. Chess has that effect on us.

It is probably a mistake for any of us to evaluate this passion in terms of intelligence or lack thereof- we all know how that is going to end!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 00:091 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    This is a description of passion, and we can all identify and even see ourselves in it. Chess has that effect on us.

It is probably a mistake for any of us to evaluate this passion in terms of intelligence or lack thereof- we all know how that is going to end!
    I am not that passionate or stupid about the game. There have been several times that I stayed home, rather than drive to Columbia to play chess, because of rain.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 09:31
    its kind of ironic that i just claimed two time-out wins here and my rating went up, which of course is really a nonsense.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 13:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its kind of ironic that i just claimed two time-out wins here and my rating went up, which of course is really a nonsense.
    I've had my rating here go up 100 points in a day simply due to timeout wins. It's another reason to take ratings here with a grain of salt.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 13:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am not that passionate or stupid about the game. There have been several times that I stayed home, rather than drive to Columbia to play chess, because of rain.
    The older I get, the more I am inclined to be like this, too. As we get older, passion gets replaced by perspective a bit.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 21:58
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    "I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND!"

Perhaps, I am being a little too dramatic.

I can relate to the story,somewhat. I live 30 miles from the nearest college. They had a club, and it met every Thursday. I emailed the guy the day before, and he said he'd meet me there. I went through some h ...[text shortened]... I finally caught up with him online, he said he figured no one would show in the rain. 😠
    I've played at some dodgy venues
    but they are normally dry!
  9. e4
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 23:24
    When I was team captain I managed to get all my team to
    an away venue on the other side of town.
    The trouble was it was a home match. 6-0 default and loads of laughs.

http://www.chessville.com/GC/Janaka.htm

More tales of me and my chess team.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 00:22
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    When I was team captain I managed to get all my team to
    an away venue on the other side of town.
    The trouble was it was a home match. 6-0 default and loads of laughs.

http://www.chessville.com/GC/Janaka.htm

More tales of me and my chess team.
    I've travelled away to a home match before, luckily the rest of my team got it right! DOH
  11. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    [b]
    The only time I almost didn't turn up for a game was due to a misunderstanding with my club captain. He said 'We are playing Southend at home'. I took that to mean their home, not ours. Clearly, every venue is someone's home. Anyway, I battled through bad weather, found somewhere to park, realised I was on the wrong side of the railway line, found somewh ...[text shortened]... ised my mistake, made it back to our venue just before the 45 minute deadline .. and then lost.
    I've done this...turned up at home for an away match. A 25 minute drive around Leicester got me to the venue with 30 minutes gone on my clock (game was 30/60' + 20 for the remainder) and I proceeded to wipe the floor with someone who had crushed me in the reverse fixture earlier in the season. Revenge is a dish best served late...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree