Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    19 Dec '06 20:44
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Nice job.

D
  2. 20 Dec '06 18:35
    Just out of curiousity, who was it that originally "discovered" the classic bishop sac?
  3. 20 Dec '06 18:55
    Originally posted by darkbishop28
    Just out of curiousity, who was it that originally "discovered" the classic bishop sac?
    it's been around for centuries! one of my faves!
  4. 20 Dec '06 19:09
    I heard it being called "the Greek gift".
  5. 20 Dec '06 19:17 / 1 edit
    Don't know - could be Greco who first wrote it down though - his stuff is full of brilliantly instructive moments like that, the 'A, B, C of chess' as Kramnik put it.

I did a quick google. Here is something similar, but not exactly the same, from Greco:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1271143

I think Ruy Lopez was before Greco though. Might be worth checking his stuff.

EDIT - nice win btw Smaug!!
  6. 21 Dec '06 00:29
    ahh yes, the sac works because white has support pieces in the f1 Bish combined with the f4 pawn, and the e5 pawn.

lol, I just finished the chapter on classic bish sacs in Art of Attack 5 minutes before reading this thread
  7. 21 Dec '06 13:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    I heard it being called "the Greek gift".
    It is.
    (The bishop sac was so new people could understand it).
  8. Standard member rotk
    Orc slayer
    21 Dec '06 16:42
    I read th ART OF ATTACK a few years ago, I just remember all the neccary placement of pieces and no the varations, and am always look to play it against people, very dangerous, and one more thing to worry about for caro-kann and french players.
  9. Standard member Diet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    21 Dec '06 16:43
    *shudders*
  10. 21 Dec '06 16:50
    Murray Chandler devotes several chapters to this in his classic book 'How to beat your dad at chess', it always gives me a thrill to get the starting position for this 'gift'.
  11. 22 Dec '06 01:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    just ask fritz