1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 08:36
    I find the opening sequence of the Colle System strangely attractive, almost like an aikido stance. Any hints on how to use it?
  2. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 10:22
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I find the opening sequence of the Colle System strangely attractive, almost like an aikido stance. Any hints on how to use it?
    "No, it's not! It's dull! Dull, dull, my God it's dull! It's so deadly dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and desperately dull!"
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 10:40
    Yes you should play it in the spirit me thinks, compose yourself, prepare your mind, invoke the spirits of the place and slowly build up to a position crumbling e4 and watch as your opponents position naturally unfurls, almost like watching a fractal regenerate of itself 🙂
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 10:42
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    "No, it's not! It's dull! Dull, dull, my God it's dull! It's so deadly dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and desperately dull!"
    Good for you, Mr 1916. At least the basic set-up kind of works for me!
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 10:59
    This Colle game will be a bit dry for most people's taste but I was pleased with it. The finishing motif is in most endgame primers ...

6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 13:38
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    So, let me see if I understand this... Are you saying it's dull? (I'm not too good at reading between the lines.)

Kidding aside, could you elaborate on why you think it's dull? (I've been mulling over trying out the opening.)
  7. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 15:26
    A good place to look would be Edgard Colle and George Koltanowski's games.
    Also google 'david rudel',he wrote some articles(and a book) on the Colle-Zukertort.

toet.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 15:34
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    A good place to look would be Edgard Colle and George Koltanowski's games.
    Also google 'david rudel',he wrote some articles(and a book) on the Colle-Zukertort.

toet.
    Thanks. Of course, I have looked at some of Colle's games. Unfortunately I tend to learn better from games that contain more mistakes than those played by the very best! Oddly, too, I often profit from advice couched in metaphorical terms (like what robbiecarrobie further on up the page).

So far I have done better with the straight Colle development than with the Colle-Zukertort.
  9. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 16:46
    hedgehog is more aikido-like
  10. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 17:27
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    So, let me see if I understand this... Are you saying it's dull? (I'm not too good at reading between the lines.)

Kidding aside, could you elaborate on why you think it's dull? (I've been mulling over trying out the opening.)
    Are we playing Noughts and Crosses or chess?

This is how to start a game of chess:

On move 5 you're playing the immortal game, not the pusillanimous whimpering that passes for a game of chess in the Colle (System!). 🙂
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 03:09
    The Colle with e3 and c3 is a Queen's Gambit Declined, Semi Slav Defense with colors reversed. The Colle-Koltanowski (with b3 instead of c3) is a QGD, Tartakower Variation with colors reversed.

Both of those Defenses can be played for a win, and the Semi Slav has some very sharp lines, so I think it is worthwhile to look at games in those defenses to learn things like common tactics and pawn breaks, and also to get a feel for what you could get away with if you had an extra tempo. And for general inspiration, of course.

Many variations of the "regular Colle" and the French Defense transpose, so you may also find some French games of interest. One of the funny things about Gary Lane's The Ultimate Colle is that in many of the games IM Lane remarks that "I have transposed the moves, as this particular game began as a French with 1. e4 e6 etc".

Paul
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 09:27
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    hedgehog is more aikido-like
    For black, sure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree