Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Aug '10 23:52
    I have just timed out my opponent in a game in which I was worse and happy to draw. Has this happened to any of you?
  2. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    08 Aug '10 00:05
    Yes, I did against EveRyDay in a clan challenge. He is better than me, and while the position was dynamic, he had me in a position where I had to find "only moves" just about every move, and I was running out of gas.

    If it had not been a clan challenge, I would have let it sit a bit as I knew he would have come back to the game. With clan and tournament games, however, the standards are higher- to me, anyway.

    Paul
  3. 08 Aug '10 00:24
    Paul is spot on. You owe it to your clan to take all skulls. If you were a member of a team in an OTB you would certainly claim the win if the opponent's flag fell. In tournaments doesn't the RHP bot come along after 48 hours and give you the game? In friendlies make up your own mind about it.
  4. 08 Aug '10 00:44
    Originally posted by enrico20
    I have just timed out my opponent in a game in which I was worse and happy to draw. Has this happened to any of you?
    I had an opportunity to do that a few weeks ago. I was losing and the skull appeared.

    I didn't feel right so I waited for him to come back, played it out and lost. I'm not saying everyone should do that, that's just what I choose to do.

    If I'm winning I crush that skull in a heartbeat.
  5. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    08 Aug '10 00:49
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I had an opportunity to do that a few weeks ago. I was losing and the skull appeared.

    I didn't feel right so I waited for him to come back, played it out and lost. I'm not saying everyone should do that, that's just what I choose to do.

    If I'm winning I crush that skull in a heartbeat.
    If I'm winning I snap the skull immediately as well. I view the timeout as a dishonorable form of resignation, and I have no problem with collecting a skull and moving on.
  6. 08 Aug '10 01:50
    Taking a skull when you are in a hopeless position is....just......an ......AWESOME feeling, and if the opponent is much higher rated than you it becomes a transcendant experience, it's like being in heaven for a brief moment.
  7. 08 Aug '10 08:14
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Taking a skull when you are in a hopeless position is....just......an ......AWESOME feeling, and if the opponent is much higher rated than you it becomes a transcendant experience, it's like being in heaven for a brief moment.
    ha! ha! ha!
  8. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    08 Aug '10 08:44
    Originally posted by enrico20
    I have just timed out my opponent in a game in which I was worse and happy to draw. Has this happened to any of you?
    I take two skulls in morning
    I take two skulls at night

    I take two skulls in the afternoon
    it makes me feel alright

    I take two skulls in time of peace
    and two in time of war

    I take two skulls before I take two skulls, and then I take two more.
  9. 08 Aug '10 14:49
    I do not understand why this is such an issue. To avoid the risk of being skulled any player can opt for 21 day timeout / 28 day timebank, nobody is forced to accept faster games. Most players would find this too slow so they opt for faster time controls which increase the risk of being skulled. If a player can not meet their own time controls they should expect to lose what ever the state of the game.
  10. 08 Aug '10 15:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by lundybishop
    I do not understand why this is such an issue. To avoid the risk of being skulled any player can opt for 21 day timeout / 28 day timebank, nobody is forced to accept faster games. Most players would find this too slow so they opt for faster time controls which increase the risk of being skulled. If a player can not meet their own time controls they should expect to lose what ever the state of the game.
    I think it all comes down to personal perspective. I personally don't feel a "win" is really a win if the position is hopeless and my opponent happens to be away for longer than he/she expected. As such I choose not to snap the skull, but I certainly don't pass moral judgment on others who choose otherwise.
  11. 08 Aug '10 15:28 / 2 edits
    You goody-two-shoe players are pathetic.

    If there was a button allowing a player to take back a bad move
    you would click that as well.

    You are not doing anyone any favours by not clicking the skull.

    The lad is going to think 'Hey I do not have to follow the agreed
    time control because the guys on here are saps."

    What happens when this lad meets he a real chess player who clicks his skull.

    There is a war on and air is filled with claims of unsportsmanlike behaviour.

    Meanwhile the Ninnies and the Nannies are wringing their hands in horror
    at the thought of someone following the rules and claiming a game because the
    other lad could not be bothered to give the game he started the same time and
    consideration you have.

    And anyway, how do you know when you are worse?

    Define Worst?

    If it's not checkmate then the game is going on and still within the
    time controls he agreed to.

    And I cannot believe someone has actually left a skull unclicked,
    played on and lost.

    This same lad often posts asking for advice.
    What for? He apparently does not want to win any games.

    I fully expect to see a future post:

    "Hi, I have this won game, it's a mate in two. I was wondering if anyone
    could tell me how to avoid this and let him win.

    You will get eaten alive and thrown to the jackals if you try this nicey nicey
    crap in OTB games.

    You are not here to make friends.
    What kind of creepy nerd spends his time playing chess on a website?
    Not someone I would want as a friend.

    No you are here to send misery and total despair down the line
    into some strangers sitting room.

    Click the skull, open up your window and shout into the street.

    "I am Big Balls Barabbas."
  12. 08 Aug '10 15:34
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    You goody-two-shoe players are pathetic.

    If there was a button allowing a player to take back a bad move
    you would click that as well.

    You are not doing anyone any favours by not clicking the skull.

    The lad is going to think 'Hey I do not have to follow the [b]agreed

    time control because the guys on here are saps."

    What happens when thi ...[text shortened]... k the skull, open up your window and shout into the street.

    "I am Big Balls Barabbas."[/b]
    Wow, harsh!

    It's just that if I didn't outplay my opponent I don't feel I accomplished anything.

    But in your honor I will be posting, "Hi, I have this won game, it's a mate in two. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to avoid this and let him win." the next time that situation arises.
  13. 08 Aug '10 15:46 / 3 edits
    I'm looking forward to it.

    I'm sure I can find at least half a dozen ways to lose a won game.

    And it's good to see I don't have to add to a smiley to everything I do.

    (that bit about the jackals is close though - in OTB games it's really is dog
    eat dog and every trick within the laws of the game is pulled....
    and sometimes,sadly, tricks that are not in the rules as well....)

    PS: pawn hoping from the 5th rank to the 7th rank in time trouble
    is a common one.
  14. 08 Aug '10 16:41
    the thing is that time control here and in otb games doesn't exactly mean the same thing.

    in a otb game, time control is part of the game as it is fully exploited by both players.

    In correspondence game, time control is more a relative constraint agreed by both players so that the game take a certain time.

    in most cases, you go beyond time control, not because you think too much about the position,(if that were the case, one player would be priviledged, as he would have more time to think about the game) but because you didn't actually took the time to think about it. (like, "hmm i'll check this tommorrow"; or "I'll do it after holidays.";

    so basically, giving twice the time to the player doesn't necessarily mean that he will think twice more about it.

    Then, I would say that it can be a decent thing not to click on the skull...
  15. 08 Aug '10 16:59
    Originally posted by Macpo
    the thing is that time control here and in otb games doesn't exactly mean the same thing.

    in a otb game, time control is part of the game as it is fully exploited by both players.

    In correspondence game, time control is more a relative constraint agreed by both players so that the game take a certain time.

    in most cases, you go beyond time control ...[text shortened]... ut it.

    Then, I would say that it can be a decent thing not to click on the skull...
    ..the decent thing...the decent thing...

    We are not here out of decency Mr 'I'm a good guy' Macpo.

    What happened with the 20 time outs you took, not feeling decent that day?

    You cannot go around feeling decent one day and not feeling the decent the next.

    That is indecent.