1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 16:53
    Game 3427450

Though not so much on RHP, I've had about a billion games like this.

In a position like this, with no intelligent pawn moves, no tactical oppourtunities, no half decent sacrifices, what do I do? I've had positions similar to this occur in OTB chess over and over again. How do I either avoid the situation (while still playing my best moves) or win from a position like this?
    I see it a lot with the 4 Knights opening too.

What do I do?
  2. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 16:551 edit
    Maybe Nd4? I haven't looked at too long, but that comes to mind... or a6, give your bishop an escape square and block out the b5 square from occupation.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 16:56
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Maybe Nd4? I haven't looked at too long, but that comes to mind.
    ... Be3 and I still haven't gotten anywhere.
  4. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 16:58
    ok... d5 might be worth a shot.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:00
    Maybe push a pawn to d5. (Maybe a higher rated guy could say whether that's OK, but looks OK to me.)

Also, when no tactics are seen, always look to develop pieces. Maybe move the queen to the seventh rank to connect the rooks.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    ok... d5 might be worth a shot.
    that does open it up a little. but white can then pressure my E pawn.

I don't know if that helps or hurts. I think I like that line though.

(edit)... There still isn't really a breakthrough that requires my opponent to do much more than shuffle his king though.
  7. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:03
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    that does open it up a little. but white can then pressure my E pawn.

I don't know if that helps or hurts. I think I like that line though.

(edit)... There still isn't really a breakthrough that requires my opponent to do much more than shuffle his king though.
    I'd have to agree. Open her up.
  8. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:04
    Game 3427450

Though not so much on RHP, I've had about a billion games like this.

In a position like this, with no intelligent pawn moves, no tactical oppourtunities, no half decent sacrifices, what do I do? I've had positions similar to this occur in OTB chess over and over again. How do I either avoid the situation (while still playing my bes ...[text shortened]... n from a position like this?
    I see it a lot with the 4 Knights opening too.

What do I do?
    You make tactical opportunities...I don't why you asked for a draw, black has a solid posistion and white isnt doing any real threats thanks to his passive play..basically now you could start doing almost whatever plan you wanted and white will have to react to you...doesn't sound drawish to me
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:06
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    You make tactical opportunities...I don't why you asked for a draw, black has a solid posistion and white isnt doing any real threats thanks to his passive play..basically now you could start doing almost whatever plan you wanted and white will have to react to you...doesn't sound drawish to me
    I have tempo. but I'm spinning my tires so to speak. No where to go with that tempo.

On the other hand, there was continuations that would at least get me to an endgame battle, but we had the same rating (give or take 5 points) and a draw is better than a simple, hard to blunder endgame that will likely end in a draw anyways.
  10. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:13
    You could just avoid getting into positions like this, answer e4 with something else then e5 and you probably won't get a symmetrical or almost symmetrical position.You also missed a tactical opportunity on move 4 with Nxe4 instead of Bc5.
  11. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:13
    I have tempo. but I'm spinning my tires so to speak. No where to go with that tempo.

On the other hand, there was continuations that would at least get me to an endgame battle, but we had the same rating (give or take 5 points) and a draw is better than a simple, hard to blunder endgame that will likely end in a draw anyways.
    What kind of attitude is that? With that attitude you should draw all your games in the opening....look at the position...lets try to break it down.
    You are clearly developed better, with white not fully developed themselves..what do you think this means for you? If I was white and was rated 400 points below you would you still take a draw? What do you think some of your plans would be?
  12. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:14
    4...Nxe4! 5.Bxf7ch Kxf7 6.Nxe4 d5 7.Nfg5ch Kg6 8.Qf3 Qd7 and black is superior

or
    4...Nxe4 5.Nxe4 d5 6.Bxd5 Qxd5 7.d3 Bh5 among a variety of good lines
  13. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:141 edit
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    You could just avoid getting into positions like this, answer e4 with something else then e5 and you probably won't get a symmetrical or almost symmetrical position.You also missed a tactical opportunity on move 4 with Nxe4 instead of Bc5.
    hmmmm
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:17
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    Actually taking that pawn doesn't help black. After 4... Bxf7+ white looks better to me.
  15. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:19
    Actually taking that pawn doesn't help black. After 4... Bxf7+ white looks better to me.
    It's actually rather drawish like the main line

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree