1. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 16:271 edit
    As this is a blog I think might merit a little more discussion than usual, I'll start getting back into the habit (which I should do every blog anyway) of putting up forum posts.

Put thoughts here, please! I want to hear what you think.

Blog Post 282
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 23:50
    Maxime beating Anish in a play-off, but Anish still finishing 2nd ahead of him? And this means MVL does not get a place in next years grand chess tour?

I find this ridiculous, they really didn't think this one through.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 01:291 edit
    Originally posted by HikaruShindo
    As this is a blog I think might merit a little more discussion than usual, I'll start getting back into the habit (which I should do every blog anyway) of putting up forum posts.

Put thoughts here, please! I want to hear what you think.

Blog Post 282
    These strike me not so much as controversial, but more implemented by a chess dictatorship. I'd like to see someone other than a FIDE rep that thinks any of these are good ideas.
  4. e4
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 09:26
    MVL may get in by the back door as some players (as Kramnik did this year)
    choose not to play. Next year there is the Candidates, a World Championship
    and the Margate Weekend Open. These will over shadow the Grand Tour.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 10:20
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    MVL may get in by the back door as some players (as Kramnik did this year)
    choose not to play. Next year there is the Candidates, a World Championship
    and the Margate Weekend Open. These will over shadow the Grand Tour.
    I would like to see a process where players from outside the top ten get involved in these big events. Maybe have one or two wild card qualifiers. These guys at the top get so many benefits. There are players like Tomashevski (for example) who are easily as strong but seemingly never get an invite to these big events. Look at his results from the Grand Prix last year, he nearly won it! Is he even mentioned for the Grand chess tour? Nope.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 21:18
    I agree with most of what you've written, but I have to disagree about writing down moves. It's an aide to calculation to do it before you've moved. The rules on keeping score are clear and fair. With the rest, especially dress code (clothing should not be intimidating or distracting) I tend to agree.
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    26 Dec '15 13:47
    In response to users individually:

@64squaresofpain It seems very illogical, doesn't it? They didn't really think that this scenario would occur, but I can't find any way to excuse putting it in the rules.
    @BigDoggProblem I agree that chess rules should be predominantly made by people who play chess. Things need to be changed.
    @greenpawn34 I hope that MVL does get in another way, but I don't think it'll really happen. Although I am very excited by the Candidates/World Championship next year, so it'll be a good year even if the Grand Chess Tour's rules continue to screw over players.
    @Marinkatomb Yes, I think there should be many more 2650-2750, or at least more 2700-2750. It makes it more exciting for the fans, and gives more players a chance to join the elite, perhaps. My suggestions for others who are overlooked, generally, are Harikrishna, Rapport, and Nepomniachtchi
    @DeepThought Well, first of all, I obviously think that, although players shouldn't wear overly ostentatious clothing and should comport themselves professionally, the current "dress code" is stupid. However, I disagree about writing moves down. I think that it, although perhaps an aid to calculation, isn't very different from just thinking about the move or taking a minute to breathe, if the pause given is objectionable. I agree that it is helpful, but I don't believe that it should be prevented, as it isn't, really, in my opinion, very important. That, or the penalties should be reduced. Let me know what you think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree