Counterbalance to engine cheats

Counterbalance to engine cheats

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
18 Sep 18
1 edit

If you think engine cheats are robbing you of points, you maybe correct, but take some comfort in the fact there are some counterbalances to these people, for example about 10% - 20% of your tournament games will contain these little bundles of joy.

1. Those who start a tournament and drop out - I wonder why they bother to enter in the 1st place 🙄

2. Those who are strong enough to defeat you, but bash out fast moves like a machine gun, making lots of silly errors and end up losing - Always fun take advantage of 🙂

3. Those who don't pay attention to time controls, and generate a skull that you can happily accept. 😀

There are other examples of course, but if one takes the time to analyze their moves, keeps their focus, and doesn't take on a huge game load they cannot handle, free points are there for the taking.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Sep 18

Originally posted by @mchill
If you think engine cheats are robbing you of points, you maybe correct, but take some comfort in the fact there are some counterbalances to these people, for example about 10% - 20% of your tournament games will contain these little bundles of joy.

1. Those who start a tournament and drop out - I wonder why they bother to enter in the 1st place 🙄

...[text shortened]... , and doesn't take on a huge game load they cannot handle, free points are there for the taking.
To quote Capt Jean Luc Picard, "not good enough, dammit, not good enough!"

That's why I run a club and play all my games there. No engine cheats admitted! Those caught doing it will be unceremoniously booted.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
18 Sep 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem

That's why I run a club and play all my games there. No engine cheats admitted! Those caught doing it will be unceremoniously booted.
It's the Gambit Fantasy Club, and the tournaments are awesome- I wish I could handle the game load to play in them all.

It's a testament to the successful management of the club that you have to be quick about getting into tournaments, because they often fill up quickly.

http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/chess-club/clubhome.php?clubid=236

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Sep 18
1 edit

How do you enforce that rule? Don't you have to know what software it is, Stockfish or Fritz and such, 1 cpu or 16? Don't you have to analyze each suspect game? Or is there an AI app that can suss out an engine user in real time? Say by move 15 it is obvious it is in fact an engine? Is that even possible?

For instance, suppose a player deliberately sets the power to say 1900 FIDE points so it won't automatically just snuff out the opponent in 10 moves, how would you analyze that?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
19 Sep 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
How do you enforce that rule? Don't you have to know what software it is, Stockfish or Fritz and such, 1 cpu or 16? Don't you have to analyze each suspect game? Or is there an AI app that can suss out an engine user in real time? Say by move 15 it is obvious it is in fact an engine? Is that even possible?

For instance, suppose a player deliberately set ...[text shortened]... s so it won't automatically just snuff out the opponent in 10 moves, how would you analyze that?
You do batch analysis of games on suspects. But that catches only the blatant cheats. I'm not going to be able to catch a person who uses an engine at a significant handicap.

It's still better playing without the blatant cheats.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
19 Sep 18

Or another quote "I want a third option".
Trouble is in this case there probably isn't one

Moves
13 Oct 18

If you want to spot a computer cheat go check the games of AlexisHunter who is +29 -0 =0 and who play games like the one against mrmatt where everyone of his moves until he wins the opponent's queen is the first choice of stockfish. I have challenged him to play me in a blitz game to check if his playing strength is that of a GM. In my game against him, I played an unusual (and unsound) move in the French (Ne2) and from then on, it was all stockfish. In particular the move Qe8 is difficult to find as black because until then, all the play is focused on the dark squares and then Qe8 switches to light squares. I have asked him to show a record in competition where he has played at this level (2200+) and he just became insulting and blocked me. We need to weed out the cheat from this site. One of the sure sign that people cheat is they never blunder. If you play 29 games, you are at least going to make one bad move but in his case there are none. Even reasonably strong chess players can make shocking moves at times. I just overlooked mate in 1 in one of my games after setting it up for 10 moves. Humans are humans and engines are engines.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
13 Oct 18

@kraparov said
If you want to spot a computer cheat go check the games of AlexisHunter who is +29 -0 =0 and who play games like the one against mrmatt where everyone of his moves until he wins the opponent's queen is the first choice of stockfish. I have challenged him to play me in a blitz game to check if his playing strength is that of a GM. In my game against him, I played an unusual ...[text shortened]... in 1 in one of my games after setting it up for 10 moves. Humans are humans and engines are engines.
I agree 100%, but until that golden day comes when we can weed out these cheats we have to make the best of the situation we have.

P

Moves
13 Oct 18

Is kraparov called that because he's really crap at chess..

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
14 Oct 18

@phoenixhunter said
Is kraparov called that because he's really crap at chess..
Out of politeness, I thought I'd let someone else ask that one.

Moves
15 Oct 18

Phoenixhunter is the other account used here by Alexishunter who just had his account blocked for cheating with an engine. I am called Kraparov because I am very good at spotting crap players who use a computer engine. He cheats as alexishunter and he also cheats as phoenixhunter. What kind of chess rabbit needs stockfish to beat a 1350 player?

P

Moves
15 Oct 18

Never heard of them users . Why you making false accusations .

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Oct 18

@phoenixhunter said
Never heard of them users . Why you making false accusations .
had a good look at your games the one v tellboy I ran the moves against chessmaster 11 u cheated simplze

Moves
15 Oct 18
1 edit

@PhoenixHunter
You are going to lose your other account as well. You are so dumb that you posted in this forum the exact message that you sent me privately. As an added coincidence, both names end with hunter. Hahahaha, you genius! And also alexishunter and phoenixhunter play the same openings lol

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
17 Oct 18

@kraparov said
@PhoenixHunter
You are going to lose your other account as well. You are so dumb that you posted in this forum the exact message that you sent me privately. As an added coincidence, both names end with hunter. Hahahaha, you genius! And also alexishunter and phoenixhunter play the same openings lol
Kraparov - I hope you're successful in rooting out all the engine cheats. I don't like them any more than you do. Frankly I had no idea some idiot would bother to use an engine to defeat someone in the mid level such as myself.