1. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 08:561 edit
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=1515779

How could I have done better?

Edit: Also, how do I make a link to a game and/or show the board in the forums?
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 08:581 edit
    Originally posted by Tetsujin

By using "gid" tags, or clicking on "insert link to game".

Game 1515779
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 09:18

My eyes hurt.

:'(

You should have captured his knight on move 4, and then again on move 6. I didn't really look that much further.

D
  4. Joined
    08 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 09:24
    Crikey, the knight on b1 likes a bit of the hokey cokey. To be truthful, 2. d3 doesn't give you an awful lot of space to work with.
  5. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 09:281 edit
    Really?

I figured that cramping white early would give me a bigger advantage than taking the knight.

I don't know, are doubled pawns worth having one of you own on the 5th rank?

Thanks for the tip. 🙂

Game 1515779

Edit: Awesome.
  6. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 09:38
    Originally posted by Oddjob291
    Crikey, the knight on b1 likes a bit of the hokey cokey. To be truthful, 2. d3 doesn't give you an awful lot of space to work with.
    Wrong player.
  7. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 09:401 edit
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Wrong player.
    errr... yeah guys... I was black.

Edit: I've been told to say guys/girls.

*smack* ow....
  8. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 09:46

Do yourself a favour and look at it yourself with a critical eye, perhaps with the board reversed. You passed up pieces and also gave them away. Stop those basic mistakes because it's impossible to see past these.
  9. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 10:06
    Well that's really why I asked. How would you guys see it?

Are talking about me giving up a knight and bishop to advance a pawn, for mate?

Maybe the bishop was a bit early, but I wouldnt have any regrets about the knight.
  10. Joined
    08 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 11:19
    errr... yeah guys... I was black.

Edit: I've been told to say guys/girls.

*smack* ow....
    Oops 😀 ... just giving an impartial view for his opponent.
  11. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 11:421 edit
    Really?

I figured that cramping white early would give me a bigger advantage than taking the knight.

I don't know, are doubled pawns worth having one of you own on the 5th rank?

Thanks for the tip. 🙂

Game 1515779

Edit: Awesome.
    Don't over-value positional factors, sure sac a knight if you're way ahead in development and think you can exploit it, don't do it just so you can keep two pawns in the centre. You cramp a position in an attempt to win material or mate, if you're given it on a plate, take it.
  12. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 13:16
    Dreadful play by both.....like something you'd expect to see from a small child
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 14:15
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Dreadful play by both.....like something you'd expect to see from a small child
    I think that's harsh. It certainly looks like a beginners game, but aside from the obvious mistakes (not taking the N when you could right at the start), there seems to be some understanding of chess in general. I think you just need to start making sure you look at everything when you consider your move. Out of interest, did you not take the N at the start because you weren't looking for a capture, but looking for developing moves instead?
  14. Somewhere out there!
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 15:15
    Well that's really why I asked. How would you guys see it?

Are talking about me giving up a knight and bishop to advance a pawn, for mate?

Maybe the bishop was a bit early, but I wouldnt have any regrets about the knight.
    Bishop sac seems ok though b4 would have been a slightly better defence for him.
    The Knight sac wasn't a real sac because when he took it you can force mate.
  15. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 18:061 edit
    Originally posted by welsharnie
    I think that's harsh. It certainly looks like a beginners game, but aside from the obvious mistakes (not taking the N when you could right at the start), there seems to be some understanding of chess in general. I think you just need to start making sure you look at everything when you consider your move. Out of interest, did you not take the N at the start because you weren't looking for a capture, but looking for developing moves instead?
    That's okay, I'm more or less a beginner.

So the general idea is that I should have taken the knight at first chance.

Yes, I pretty much thought I could handle the knight anywhere is goes. Maybe it was a bit cocky, he did pick up a pawn with it.

Edit:

How exactly do you classify an open game vs a closed game?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree