1. London
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 11:04
    Originally posted by travo420
    Quick questions for the board, new member long time social player looking to get more serious, have a question in regards to “crowning” a pawn, can you only change a pawn with a piece that you have already lost or can you choose whichever piece you want i.e. end up with two queens or three knights etc. If this is true then how do you represent the extra pie ...[text shortened]... y and clrify if necessary.

Cheers.

PS Look forward to beating you all in the future.
    😉
    Some tournaments allow you to use a knight (say) that has already been captured but play it on the board as a Queen as long as you clearly announce that you're promoting it to a Queen at the time of promotion.
  2. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 14:202 edits
    Originally posted by travo420
    “crowning” a pawn, can you only change a pawn with a piece that you have already lost or can you choose whichever piece you want i.e. end up with two queens or three knights etc.
    From "FIDE Laws of Chess "
    http://fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

Article 3.7e. When a pawn reaches the rank furthest from its starting position it must be exchanged as part of the same move for a new queen, rook, bishop or knight of the same colour. The player`s choice is not restricted to pieces that have been captured previously. This exchange of a pawn for another piece is called `promotion` and the effect of the new piece is immediate.

Just a small point; it is always referred to as 'promotion'.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 14:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Moreover, you have to promote to a piece of the same color.
    Obvious? Yes, but also by the rules.

Originally posted by Hindstein
    Not entirely true. I've seen examples of puzzles based on real (albeit ancient) tournaments where irregularities in the promotion rules lead to what we would now class as illegal moves.

The promotion rules we undoubtibly created and evolved over a number of years to make to rules that we know today.
    Noone uses ancient rules in modern tournaments anymore.
    Hence - obvious.
  4. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 19:443 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Noone uses ancient rules in modern tournaments anymore.
    Hence - obvious.
    Of course you're right. But my point was that the promotion rules have not been set in stone from the beginning. Hence - entirely

Incdentally, the puzzle in question is great for setting to people to catch them out especially when you explain that it comes from tournament play. I believe that it comes from a time before those promotion rules were finalised regarding promotion to your own colour....

White to move and mate in 1 🙄

Silly, but I like it. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree