Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 02 Dec '05 18:12
    I'm very interested in the Damiano Variation in Petroffs Defence:
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Ne5 Ne4!?
    I've heard that IM Charles Hertan has written articles about in Chess Horizons. Does anybody knows it?
    Or anything what is written in opening books about?
    regards!
    Peter
  2. 02 Dec '05 18:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by JesusIsMyLord
    I'm very interested in the Damiano Variation in Petroffs Defence:
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Ne5 Ne4!?
    I've heard that IM Charles Hertan has written articles about in Chess Horizons. Does anybody knows it?
    Or anything what is written in opening books about?
    regards!
    Peter
    Its very poor, avoid at all costs as black really.

    Edit: Probably should have a ? instead of a !? for Ne4
  3. 02 Dec '05 18:45
    Defintiely 3. ... Nxe4?. White wins a pawn at least wit 5.Qe2. A few variations:

    - Qe7 6.Qxe4 d6 7.d4 dxe4 8.dxe4 (or even Qxe4)
    - d5 6.d3 Qe7 7.dxe4 Qxe5 exd5

    or worse: Nf6?? 6.Nc6+ wins the queen
  4. 02 Dec '05 18:47
    That's gotta be (very) dubious!

    You gotta ask yourself why don't these pros and amaterish-pros play this opening themselves.
  5. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    02 Dec '05 18:51
    Originally posted by JesusIsMyLord
    I'm very interested in the Damiano Variation in Petroffs Defence:
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Ne5 Ne4!?
    I've heard that IM Charles Hertan has written articles about in Chess Horizons. Does anybody knows it?
    Or anything what is written in opening books about?
    regards!
    Peter
    Please find them because this is the BIG blunder in the Petrov. I did it once because I was on auto-pilot but basically this loses, big time. Like this:
    Game 1141742
    Here's the only Petrov specific site I know of but it's in French-English:
    http://jeanpaul.garnier.free.fr/indexen.htm
  6. 03 Dec '05 09:54
    Please look at http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=567
  7. 03 Dec '05 09:55
    Thx Bill,
    it is not so easy if it is a blundr!
    Look at http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=567
    and that's why I look more about!
  8. 03 Dec '05 09:56
    Somebody has written me that there were 2 serious articles about.
    To see, that it is not so easy to refute - look also at http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=567
  9. 03 Dec '05 09:57
    Thx for all comments. I'm afraid they are going only on surface.
    Please look at
    http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=567
  10. 03 Dec '05 12:19
    Originally posted by JesusIsMyLord
    Thx for all comments. I'm afraid they are going only on surface.
    Please look at
    http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=567
    Damiano Variation=
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6
  11. 03 Dec '05 12:27
    Originally posted by propawnkiller
    Damiano Variation=
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6
    That's Damiano's Defence.
  12. 03 Dec '05 12:49
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    That's Damiano's Defence.
    Thanks. I thought the other one wasn't sound enough for an official variation, but that is, of course, wrong. There are many unsound variations with official names.
  13. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    03 Dec '05 13:08
    Originally posted by propawnkiller
    Thanks. I thought the other one wasn't sound enough for an official variation, but that is, of course, wrong. There are many unsound variations with official names.
    Reading through the reference sites, Black has a hard time gaining equality and has an inferior engame. You might experiment with it, but I'd say it's still bad.
  14. 03 Dec '05 17:41
    Yes, this is Damiano Defence, but I'm interested in
    Damiano Variation in Petroffs Defense what
    is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Ne5 Ne4!?