1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 14:15
    Here is a video of the alledged hand signals that Danailov made to Topov in January 2006: YouTube

Here is the story on kommersant.com which claims that FIDE is finally about to investigate the cheating allegations:
    http://www.kommersant.com/p741182/FIDE_investigate_claims_Topalov/

It seems to me that Danailov is definitely behaving suspiciously, but how much information can you transmit with a few weird finger movements?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 14:30
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Here is a video of the alledged hand signals that Danailov made to Topov in January 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46ZK6ZBvMI

Here is the story on kommersant.com which claims that FIDE is finally about to investigate the cheating allegations:

It seems to me that Danailov is def ...[text shortened]... aving suspiciously, but how much information can you transmit with a few weird finger movements?
    Welcome back. I read something about that and I must admit I am simply tired of all the accusations. I think I will stop following the GMs for awhile and focus only on my games which are for fun.

If he is cheating, I hope he gets his just reward.

So when are you going to start playing again?
  3. Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 14:38
    Here is a video of the alledged hand signals that Danailov made to Topov in January 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46ZK6ZBvMI

It seems to me that Danailov is def ...[text shortened]... aving suspiciously, but how much information can you transmit with a few weird finger movements?
    It would seem to me that he wouldnt need many finger movements at all to get the point across.

*If* they are cheating they would just need a signal for each rank and file square.

Say if I pick my nose its the a file, and if I eat it its the 4th rank.

Thus signaling to move your piece that is on a4, whatever that piece may be.

Hopefully a gm could figure out WHERE the hell to move a piece once hes been illegally informed that moving that piece IS the best move.

If there is cheating going on, rest assured they have a definitively recognizable system in place.

It's certainly time for change on the chess scene.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 15:02
    what a ridiculous piece of video 'evidence'. I guess the conspiracy theorists must think the guy in front of danailov was also signaling, because he was doing similar 'hand signals'. 🙄
  5. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 15:15
    The editor of that video probably had to sift through hours of footage to dig out those "signalling" moments. If you video taped me for 4 hours straight watching a chess match I'm pretty sure you'd get at least 2-3 minutes of me signalling as well.
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 15:25

"Whatever the explanation, Danailov would return to the hall after a short time, always move to the same corner of the spectator area and put on a pair of glasses, although he has not been known to wear spectacles before. Topalov sat on the left-hand side, from the point of view of the spectators, Danailov stood on the right-hand side, behind a barrier and in the anonymity of the masses, about 15 meters away from Topalov.

From this vantage point he could see nothing of the game, not even the monitor that showed the position; but from that corner he could establish direct visual contact without Topalov having to move his head. Indeed Topalov looked up, when it was his turn to move, and as soon as he caught sight of Danailov in the corner, he would usually put his elbows on the table and fold his hands across his forehead."

from a chessabase.com translation of an article by Martin Breutigam published in Süddeutsche Zeitung

Clearly that video clip is not from either of the matches in question as Danailov is not wearing spectacles.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 15:26
    Originally posted by wormwood
    what a ridiculous piece of video 'evidence'. I guess the conspiracy theorists must think the guy in front of danailov was also signaling, because he was doing similar 'hand signals'. 🙄
    The gist of it is the guy in front was just watching. Danilov was doing the same kind of thing for hours, going out, making a cell call, coming back and doing the same kind of finger dance. It looks to me like they worked up a secret sign language, Dani was sticking his index finger under his jaw in a way that people would never do accidently IMO.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 15:28
    Originally posted by Ian68
    "Whatever the explanation, Danailov would return to the hall after a short time, always move to the same corner of the spectator area and put on a pair of glasses, although he has not been known to wear spectacles before. Topalov sat on the left-hand side, from the point of view of the spectators, Danailov stood on the right-hand side, behind a barrier and in ...[text shortened]... ideo clip is not from either of the matches in question as Danailov is not wearing spectacles.
    If the conspiracy theory holds, there may have been a third party who saw the actual position and somehow got it to Danailav.
  9. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 20:43
    What's the name of the video if I were to look it up using the youtube search? The direct link is blocked at my office...
  10. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:17
    anyone? I just read the articles and would like to see what all the fuss is about...
  11. The sky
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It looks to me like they worked up a secret sign language, Dani was sticking his index finger under his jaw in a way that people would never do accidently IMO.
    It could also simply be a typical gesture for him. The video gives far too little information to draw any conclusions. It doesn't show whether he made the movements only when Topalov was looking in his direction, whether he made them only when it was Topalov's move, or whether he tends to make similar movements in other situations. Without the description of his behaviour in Wijk, I don't think the video would raise my suspicion. That description did sound like there was something going on, so I think this should be investigated, and any available video materials should be analysed. But I don't see much of a point in making a video like that public. You can read all and nothing into it.
  12. The sky
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:29
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    anyone? I just read the articles and would like to see what all the fuss is about...
    It's called "Danailov secret signals to Topalov?"
  13. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:38
    Thanks.

Did youtube pull it because the search doesn't bring up any results for it? I'll have to try the direct link later tonight.
  14. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:41
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    Thanks.

Did youtube pull it because the search doesn't bring up any results for it? I'll have to try the direct link later tonight.
    No - it is still there!
  15. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:43
    That's weird...I tired the search, tried to google it and can't find any mention of it. What's the deal...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree